Movie Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 25, 2014, 04:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

$118m debut for Toy Story 4. That's good, shame estimates got so inflated recently making this look bad and a shame it couldn't make up for the bad last few weeks, but still good. 4th best animation OW ever. Estimate of $120m international debut. $900m+ looks very good and $1b still very much on the cards.

The Lion King tickets go on sale tomorrow, the king approaches!

the-pi-guy

China knows where it's at.

Toy Story 4 Beaten At Chinese Box Office By... Spirited Away? | ResetEra

www.bbc.com   Spirited Away rules China box office 18 years late  The Japanese cartoon from 2001 made more than twice as much as Toy Story 4 over the weekend.   www.bbc.com www.bbc.com    
Japanese animation Spirited Away has dominated the Chinese box office over its opening weekend, making more than twice as much as Disney's Toy Story 4.

The Studio Ghibli film grossed $27.7m (£21.8m), according to Maoyan, China's largest movie ticketing app.

Spirited Away was officially released in 2001, but only now, 18 years later, has it been released in China.

However, many Chinese viewers grew up with the film, having watched DVDs or pirated downloads.

Toy Story 4 made $13.2m on its opening weekend, said consultancy firm Artisan Gateway.

The Japanese film by famed director Hayao Miyazaki tells the story of a young girl who is transported into a fantasy world after entering an abandoned theme park with her parents.

The movie gained a cult following after it was released and still remains Studio Ghibli's highest grossing movie of all time.

It also became the first non-English language animated film to win an Academy Award.

Image copyright2001 STUDIO GHIBLI - NDDTMImage caption10-year-old Chihiro is the film's main protagonist
 My Neighbour Totoro became the first Ghibli film to ever debut in theatres in China in 2018, 30 years after its original release.

China has a strict quota on the number of foreign films it shows.

One analyst told the BBC last year that political tensions between China and Japan in the past could be why some Japanese movies had not been aired in China until very recently.

Japan occupied China in 1931 and millions of Chinese people had been killed by the time the war ended in 1945. But for many, feelings of resentment towards Japan lingered.

"Right now that relationship has improved significantly and there is a lot of movement on Sino-Japanese co-productions, including in anime," Stanley Rosen from the University of Southern California said.

Spirited Away has also already outperformed Totoro which grossed $27.3m for its full run, state media outlet CGTN reports.  Click to expand... Click to shrink...  
Wild, hard not to celebrate a pretty good movie being outgrossed by an outright classic though.  
[/size]

Dr. Pezus

China knows where it's at.

Toy Story 4 Beaten At Chinese Box Office By... Spirited Away? | ResetEra
Wild, hard not to celebrate a pretty good movie being outgrossed by an outright classic though.  

Spirited away is goat tho

the-pi-guy

Jun 26, 2019, 05:30 PM Last Edit: Jun 26, 2019, 05:33 PM by the-pi-guy
Spirited away is goat tho
Exactly.

Xevross

Yeah Spirited Away has been surprising folks over in the BOT forums, China absolutely loves it as well it's got an amazing maoyan score.

Spidey has 92% on RT so far, so yet another hit for the MCU. It's box office run begins now with $3.1m midnights in China (best solo superhero midnights ever). Good start, here's hoping for a big $100m+ OW in China. Legs will be better than normal in China as basically all local films are being banned right now as Communist party steps up censorship, so Chinese don't have much else to watch.

Dr. Pezus

I think Spidey will end around 85-90%. Maybe not the best Spidey yet!

Xevross

Jun 27, 2019, 11:34 PM Last Edit: Jun 27, 2019, 11:38 PM by Xevross
Spidey starts with 9.2 maoyan score! That's great and points to good word of mouth and hopefully a leggy run in China.

Xevross

Now up to 9.3 maoyan and opening day is going very well, this is basically a dream scenario for Spidey in China. Could match Homecoming's entire China gross in its OW ($116m) and should be heading for $200m+ lifetime easily. $1b is looking locked and loaded, hellz yes.

Also that maoyan score has me pumped as it means the films gonna have some great spectacle and be super fun, looking forward to seeing it monday midnight.

Xevross

Endgame had a $1.86m friday domestically thanks to the re-release. Heading for a $6m weekend. Overseas is still very much up in the air, but this doesn't look like anywhere near enough to reach Avatar (to me). If Disney want the record they gotta do more pushing.

Xevross

Jul 01, 2019, 02:44 PM Last Edit: Jul 01, 2019, 03:23 PM by Xevross
Spidey seems to be doing super well in Asia. Big OW in Japan (only behind Avengers and the Raimi trilogy) and has the biggest solo CBM presales ever in Korea. China legs looking good with a $12m Monday. Hoping the 6 day opening in domestic market is huge as well.

Going to see the film tonight, I'm excited!

Legend

Looks good!

I also saw happy death day 2u and enjoyed it. Wasn't the movie I was expecting.

Xevross

Looks good!

I also saw happy death day 2u and enjoyed it. Wasn't the movie I was expecting.

Yeah this looks way better than it ought to be. FIrst film made a fudge tonne of money, would be crazy if this managed to improve upon that. The Rock playing Danny Devito is something I never knew I needed in my life. Also thank god Nick Jonas is back!

Xevross

Far From Home was awesome! Yes! I'm so happy right now :D

Legend

Might see it in a few days!

Xevross

Suppose I didn't update about the Endgame re-release! It had a great weekend with $6.1m dom and OS was good too considering its staggered. The OS actuals went up by $3m after the weekend was estimated at about $2m and people aren't exactly sure why, maybe the weekend made $5m OS or maybe Disney made some money appear ;D

Either way, with a good monday hold and holding onto most of its theatres for another week, this isn't just a one weekend spike and there should be some good money left to come. Add in the re-release in some more countries to come and it seems Avatar is going to go down after all, as its gonna at least get close and then Disney can work some magic for the last few mil if it needs it. What a rollercoaster this run has been (and continues to be)!

Go Up