Hapax OT: Magnificent Desolation

Started by Legend, Dec 21, 2020, 03:29 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

I'm a mad man. It wasn't too much extra work and it makes for a great easter egg of sorts, but I programed in realistic orbits for everything in the game.

There is the standard "day night" cycle as the alien ship orbits the planet every hour or so, but everything else works too. If you play the game for an ungodly amount of time, the main planet will complete an orbit around the sun.

kitler53

I'm a mad man. It wasn't too much extra work and it makes for a great easter egg of sorts, but I programed in realistic orbits for everything in the game.

There is the standard "day night" cycle as the alien ship orbits the planet every hour or so, but everything else works too. If you play the game for an ungodly amount of time, the main planet will complete an orbit around the sun.
sounds like a wonderful use time for a budget minded developer.   so launching in 2028 are we?

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

sounds like a wonderful use time for a budget minded developer.   so launching in 2028?
Such a rude and stupid take.

It's literally two extra lines of code.

kitler53

Such a rude and stupid take.

It's literally two extra lines of code.

i'm sorry.  i didn't mean to be rude.  :(

Legend

i'm sorry.  i didn't mean to be rude.  :(
Thanks.

I try to laugh at delay jokes but I'm constantly stressed about schedules and deadlines.

Legend

I've been tightening up my zero g moments and it has me thinking of Killzone Shadowfall. I can barely remember what was going on, but I think players were in a satellite collecting audio logs at one point.

I also kinda enjoyed the zero g moments in The Swapper. Those had a fun Wall E type feel.

Water levels, ice levels, and zero g levels are all kinda funky. Lots of love/hate opinions on them haha.

Found the Killzone thing I was remembering.

I don't think Dead Space 2 had any. Mass Effect 2 had that incredible opening but the player had mag boots.

kitler53

Feb 28, 2021, 02:15 PM Last Edit: Feb 28, 2021, 02:16 PM by kitler53
I've been tightening up my zero g moments and it has me thinking of Killzone Shadowfall. I can barely remember what was going on, but I think players were in a satellite collecting audio logs at one point.

I also kinda enjoyed the zero g moments in The Swapper. Those had a fun Wall E type feel.

Water levels, ice levels, and zero g levels are all kinda funky. Lots of love/hate opinions on them haha.

Found the Killzone thing I was remembering.

I don't think Dead Space 2 had any. Mass Effect 2 had that incredible opening but the player had mag boots.
I feel like internet gamers have some kind of obsession that controls are always tight, responsive, and fast and anything that gets in the way of that is deemed bad.  

that includes: water levels, ice levels, windy levels, ect.   0 G probably fits into that.  

I'm not sure if that's shared with the masses though.  I kind of feel like it can be fun in bursts.  but I also feel like these areas can be prone to just not being implemented well.  I'm especially critical of ice levels.  as a natural born MN I can tell you the physics is always wrong. 

Legend

I feel like internet gamers have some kind of obsession that controls are always tight, responsive, and fast and anything that gets in the way of that is deemed bad.  

that includes: water levels, ice levels, windy levels, ect.   0 G probably fits into that.  

I'm not sure if that's shared with the masses though.  I kind of feel like it can be fun in bursts.  but I also feel like these areas can be prone to just not being implemented well.  I'm especially critical of ice levels.  as a natural born MN I can tell you the physics is always wrong.
Too often these levels just slow things down without providing anything new. That might be great for pacing but yeah it sucks for the person who just wants to play the normal game.

Legend

Gonna try to get the game "finished" before the end of the month. May still be a while before it'll release, but at that point it'll be fully done outside of polish and tweaks.

A big risk though is my spaceship modeling tech. I've been exploring a lot of options and this delayed the reveal trailer. If I run into more issues, this will delay things further.

Pretty proud of what VizionEck has become. It's a very personal avent-garde game that's wrapped in a more casual experience.

kitler53

Gonna try to get the game "finished" before the end of the month. May still be a while before it'll release, but at that point it'll be fully done outside of polish and tweaks.

A big risk though is my spaceship modeling tech. I've been exploring a lot of options and this delayed the reveal trailer. If I run into more issues, this will delay things further.

Pretty proud of what VizionEck has become. It's a very personal avent-garde game that's wrapped in a more casual experience.

eh, that's what day-1 patches are for....

the-pi-guy

Gonna try to get the game "finished" before the end of the month. May
See you in may then.

Legend

See you in may then.
You found my secret hint!

May would be great but treat it as a NET date.

eh, that's what day-1 patches are for....
Ship graphics are needed for marketing. If the reveal trailer and the release date are the same day, that'll massively decrease sales for a game like this. Best to have a few months to build interest. Some games even artificially delay release to give them more marketing time.

Bigger games don't have this issue because they can do a cgi/in engine trailer years before the game is ready to be shown.

kitler53

You found my secret hint!

May would be great but treat it as a NET date.
Ship graphics are needed for marketing. If the reveal trailer and the release date are the same day, that'll massively decrease sales for a game like this. Best to have a few months to build interest. Some games even artificially delay release to give them more marketing time.

Bigger games don't have this issue because they can do a cgi/in engine trailer years before the game is ready to be shown.
you realize you have a serious answer to a joke post right?

Legend

you realize you have a serious answer to a joke post right?
I guess my dad is rubbing off on me. He does this all the time where he treats a joke/sarcasm as honest and refutes it. Then you're just left confused, wondering if he's messing with you or if he actually missed the joke.

Sorry for that.

Legend

Unity crashes so much right now. I'm pretty sure I have a memory leak in the editor.

Go Up