MLB The Show 21
MLB The Show 22
Horizon Call of the Mountain
The Last of Us Remake
The Last of Us factions
Several PC ports
Uncharted Remaster
Ghost of Tsushima PS5

It almost manages to feel like they've announced more acquisitions than new games.

I wonder a lot about what they're doing. They announced like 9 PS games at the June 2020 showcase and there has been a similar number since then.

A big decline in partnerships. We did get two more this past month (Stellar Blade and Rise of the Ronin). But those are the only ones they've announced since Death Stranding DC.
At least in terms of games Sony is publishing.

Are we going to see a decent sized show like the June one again? Or is Sony favoring more frequent 20-30 minute State of Plays?

Sony has seen an insane amount of growth through acquisitions and frankly internally. But it doesn't quite feel like they've done enough. I have to imagine that they're doing a lot of planning with the Activision acquisition underway. Perhaps they will wait until that looks like it will close though for anything big.  

While I'm blabbering on about this stuff.  Should Sony have made PS+ Extra/Premium something else? It feels like they launched a Gamepass competitor and yet it hardly gets mentioned. It feels like very little has changed with it being part of the PS+ banner.

BananaKing

Housemarque
Bluepoint
Firesprite
Nixxes
Valkyrie Entertainment
Bungie
Haven
Savage Game Studios

Since June 2020, Sony has announced:
God of War
Wolverine
Spiderman 2
MLB The Show 21
MLB The Show 22
Horizon Call of the Mountain
The Last of Us Remake
The Last of Us factions
Several PC ports
Uncharted Remaster
Ghost of Tsushima PS5

It almost manages to feel like they've announced more acquisitions than new games.

I wonder a lot about what they're doing. They announced like 9 PS games at the June 2020 showcase and there has been a similar number since then.

A big decline in partnerships. We did get two more this past month (Stellar Blade and Rise of the Ronin). But those are the only ones they've announced since Death Stranding DC.
At least in terms of games Sony is publishing.

Are we going to see a decent sized show like the June one again? Or is Sony favoring more frequent 20-30 minute State of Plays?

Sony has seen an insane amount of growth through acquisitions and frankly internally. But it doesn't quite feel like they've done enough. I have to imagine that they're doing a lot of planning with the Activision acquisition underway. Perhaps they will wait until that looks like it will close though for anything big.  

While I'm blabbering on about this stuff.  Should Sony have made PS+ Extra/Premium something else? It feels like they launched a Gamepass competitor and yet it hardly gets mentioned. It feels like very little has changed with it being part of the PS+ banner.
Ps+ Should have looked beyond gamepass as a competitor. It should have been tiers yes.
Ps+ essential (same as it is now)
Ps+ extra (catalogue of games + the classic games)
PS+ ultimate - all the games catalogues + TV shows/movies/anime.

Netflix and amazon want to get into games. Sub services are expanding. Sony has an opportunity to compete with netflix and amazon on the sub front. And PS productions can have a more oriented and focused goal

Legend

Ps+ Should have looked beyond gamepass as a competitor. It should have been tiers yes.
Ps+ essential (same as it is now)
Ps+ extra (catalogue of games + the classic games)
PS+ ultimate - all the games catalogues + TV shows/movies/anime.

Netflix and amazon want to get into games. Sub services are expanding. Sony has an opportunity to compete with netflix and amazon on the sub front. And PS productions can have a more oriented and focused goal
That's a good idea.

Sony really needs something to put pressure on Microsoft, instead of just playing catchup.

kitler53

I just wish they would have gone a different license model.  

I"d be more interested in an expanding library of games permanently added to ps+ instead if the gamepass rental model. 

losing games after a few months kills the service to me.  this is far more important than day-1 to me. 

I'd also be more interested in convince services.   the 1-hour demo is a great idea.  I wanted my entire library to be available via the cloud for when I'm traveling. 

classics as the high their is looking worthless to me. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

Quote from: Dusk Golem
Death Stranding 2 is in development (and for some insiders to know I'm not bullshitting about this in the future, its internal codename is Ocean), but Kojima has had a long standing deal with Sony on this, which is being analyzed if Sony and Kojima Productions should renew their contracts after DS2 or not at present, but was never in question before this due to a multi-game contract Sony and Kojima Productions have. But Death Stranding 2 itself was always plotted to be with Sony. I'm not going to say a single actual thing about the game itself, not now or in the future, so don't ask even if people figure out later I'm 100% telling the truth about the codename and contract stuff. But any murmurs about a DS2 with anyone other than Sony is battleship. The deal with Xbox was never meant to be DS2, this rumor is just false, Sony and Kojima Productions have a multi-game contract that expires after DS2 and at present is being decided by both parties whether to continue their relationship or end it after DS2, and that is the truth.
tl;dr: Sony and Kojima are working on Death Stranding 2. Uncertain whether there will be another game with Sony after DS2.

kitler53

I feel like the internet will take this as if the relationship with sony has turned sour when the truth is almost certainly just a matter of how much $$ is it worth to both parties to be console exclusive. 

the-pi-guy

I've been kind of 50/50 on whether Sony would buy a publisher.

I feel like buying a bunch of studios would be a strong way for them to go ahead, without breaking the bank. (Deviation Games, Arrowhead Games, etc)

But given how much the industry is practically tripping over itself to buy publishers, it wouldn't be crazy to think that Sony would be wanting to do something more substantial.

But I wonder if Sony would want to wait for the Activision deal to close. Perhaps that they would worry that any big acquisition would make the Activision deal more likely.

Spoiler for Hidden:
<br>I know that people are sick of the publisher acquisition discussion.<br><br>

kitler53

i hate that this is where the industry is going but if sony doesn't buy a publisher like SE i think ps6 is DoA.   MS won't stop and their first party will be like 10x sony's by the end of the gen if things keep going the way they are going.   

sigh.

BananaKing

Yeah I agree, they need to buy a publisher. But I think they need to buy a western one. It seems the acquisition wars is happening over western publishers mostly. Probably because their games have a stronger world wide appeal than Japanese games do

IMO Sony should be going after take two, because that's likely what MS want as well after the Activision deal

the-pi-guy

It seems the acquisition wars is happening over western publishers mostly.

Probably because their games have a stronger world wide appeal than Japanese games do
I think it's partly that. 5 of the top 8 publishers are headquartered in the US, and 2 of the other 3 are in China, which probably makes things difficult, and the last one is Nintendo.

IMO Sony should be going after take two, because that's likely what MS want as well after the Activision deal
I would say MS has been pretty vocal about going after a Japanese publisher next.

Legend

tl;dr: Sony and Kojima are working on Death Stranding 2. Uncertain whether there will be another game with Sony after DS2.
Love it. First one was great.

No clue how to make it fun though. I can't learn how to walk a second time.

Legend

the-pi-guy

Legend

So no game for a while haha

Go Up