Street Fighter V deal was meant to counter Halo 5

Started by Rorono, Jan 06, 2015, 01:36 PM

previous topic - next topic

Rorono

Ok that title might sound weird but bear with me

MS said that they bought out ROTR in order to have it go up against Uncharted 4
Thing is, these battles don't necessarily need to occur with the same game type.

I think the SFV deal happened because of Halo 5. Why? Because some time ago, MS talked about its focus on e-sports, when it came to Halo 5. They want to make it big in the competitive scene, like CS, LoL, SC2, etc. They wanted a piece of the e-sports pie.

So.. Sony wanted a piece of that pie too. But what could they have used for it? Not much. So they bought something that already has such a scene; Street Fighter.
Sure as hell wasn't meant to "counter Killer Instinct", that much is certain.

What do you think? Makes sense?

Xevross

I guess it does make some sense. MS have the FPS e sports locked down but now Sony have the fighting e sports locked down. Will be interesting to see which turns out to be bigger

Mmm_fish_tacos

Well we know that Sony is going big into e sports this gen, dude to them setting up their own league starting this year. Think it starts soonish in the UK, some time this year in the us.

darkknightkryta

The deal itself was probably made a while ago.  Back in the Street Fighter X Tekken days.  Sony put their own characters into the game, plus they probably paid for the Vita port.  The Capcom Cup thing on the other hand, that was probably done to compete with Microsoft

Dr. Pezus

But will SFV make it this year? I think it'll release in the first half of 2016 honestly

Rorono

But will SFV make it this year? I think it'll release in the first half of 2016 honestly

That's fine. It doesn't need to release at the same time. Investment in this e-sport thing is long term, not meant to fight weekly console sales

darkknightkryta

Capcom's best bet to maximize profits would be to release the game right after next year's Evo.  Like, there's way too much competition to launch this year.  Spring next year would be best.  But it'll interfere with Evo.  So have the game launch a week later would be the best bet.  Everyone will have played Ultra into the ground by then.  Ultra will have its last hurrah.  Then everyone can start practicing Street Fighter 5 for the following Evo.

ethomaz

I guess Uncharted 4 will have a bigger launch than Halo 5... and it will sell more lifetime.

Userbase now is on PS side.

Like Drive Club will sell more than Forza 5 or Horizon 2.

7H3

I'd be surprised if UC sold more than Halo 5... UC4 will probably be the best selling in the franchise yet, but I doubt it will outsell Halo 5... I mean its halo...
even with Halo looking like recycled trash that we've already seen in Crysis, COD:AW, TitanFall...
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

ethomaz

I'd be surprised if UC sold more than Halo 5... UC4 will probably be the best selling in the franchise yet, but I doubt it will outsell Halo 5... I mean its halo...
even with Halo looking like recycled trash that we've already seen in Crysis, COD:AW, TitanFall...

It is Halo with a way smaller userbase than 360.

It won't do Halo 3 numbers.

Legend

Hmm.

If just talking esports, yeah that makes sense. Sony doesn't have any skin in that market and would be crazy to not want to.

Raven

Hmm.

If just talking esports, yeah that makes sense. Sony doesn't have any skin in that market and would be crazy to not want to.

They certainly need to. Why any company wouldn't fight to have an e-sports presence is beyond me. Sony could definitely use something to increase their profile in it and Street Fighter V being exclusive is a no-brainer. That's THE fighting game franchise for the FGC.