Video Game Sales Thread

Started by Xevross, Aug 14, 2014, 02:56 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

Oh yeah he was talking about Japan. Makes sense. 100k+ might be difficult so early though
Yeah I don't think pokemon will be big enough to make it 100k+. Smash should get it there though.

the-pi-guy

Red Dead redemption 2 become the second biggest retail launch of the year in UK, 27% of GTAV launch | ResetEra

https://www.mcvuk.com/business/red-...nt-clinch-uk-retails-biggest-week-one-of-2018

UK retail sales figures are out for Red Dead Redemption 2 and while the title has sold very well indeed, it has failed to top FIFA 19, which remains the biggest week one release of the year.

Second place is highly respectable of course, but with huge development costs, the game will need to successfully monetise its online service in order to be considered a success - by Rockstar standards at least.

The title was never going to have the same draw as the company's biggest franchise. And the games market is a very different place to 2013 when GTA V was released. But week one sales of 27 per cent of the biggest game launch of all-time is nothing to be sniffed at.

We await a report on digital sales from Rockstar or parent Take-Two.

Another way to look at the game is that RDR 2 claimed just over 60 per cent of the retail market this week, so the idea that no one was buying anything else this weekend is rather put to rest. Compare that to an incredible 89 per cent market share for GTA V on its launch week and you get an idea of how big it was out-of-the-blocks.

More recent comparisons of 75 per cent for FIFA 19 and just 44 per cent for Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 show RDR 2 is doing well, though not outstandingly so, in dominating public consciousness at launch.Click to expand...
According to the article, RDR2 had the second biggest week one sales in UK, so under FIFA 19, but above COD Black Ops IIII. Retail only, of course.

The game has sold around 27% of what GTA V sold back in 2013, but it sold around double of what the first Red Dead Redemption sold back in 2010.  

Dr. Pezus

How much is that do you think?

the-pi-guy

How much is that do you think?
Zhuge says more than 600k

BananaKing

Not bad lol. The legs are the more important thing here though.

Dr. Pezus

Considering rdr did 254k iirc. 600k without digital is crazy good.
Split
PS4, 68%
XB1, 32%.

Xevross

Yeah GTAV was just over 2.25 million so 600k. With digital probably close to a million sales, which is pretty excellent.

Considering rdr did 254k iirc. 600k without digital is crazy good.
Split
PS4, 68%
XB1, 32%.
Woah that's a shocking split, maybe a lot of ps4 pro numbers were moved.

BananaKing

600k is pretty huge. The article comparing it to fifa and saying it needs it's online component to be considered a success is ridiculous. Sure CoD has a higher budget than FIFA but FIFA does insane numbers. And that's not the bar to success. Hugely expensive games like the Witcher or fallout sold much less and were still very successful.

Xevross

600k is pretty huge. The article comparing it to fifa and saying it needs it's online component to be considered a success is ridiculous. Sure CoD has a higher budget than FIFA but FIFA does insane numbers. And that's not the bar to success. Hugely expensive games like the Witcher or fallout sold much less and were still very successful.
Yep 600k is still the biggest non fifa launch in the UK since Black Ops 3, its a great launch for any game, even a R* game. GTAV sales dropped 83% second week, if RDR2 keeps up the trend of good second weeks in the UK this year and only drops something like 60% then legs are looking very strong.

Kerotan

Oct 29, 2018, 01:29 PM Last Edit: Oct 29, 2018, 01:34 PM by Kerotan
Sales plummeted for one week though and they're still falling now, so overall they've barely gained anything.

Era are predicting RDR2 UK sales, I think it might be fun to do that as well. Considering COD was down 50% YOY at 260k, fifa was way down YOY at 623k, AC Odyssey was down from Origins at around 100k, its not looking good for anything too strong. That being said, we have had some recent success stories like Spidey at 200k and FH4 having the best Forza launch.

Some more numbers for context. RDR debuted at roughly 300k in the UK then had amazing legs. GTAV holds the UK record, with launch sales of 2.25 million.

I think its going to be about half as popular as GTAV, including digital, so physical sales I'm expecting something like 700-800k, which would be the biggest launch of the year.

Also going to predict that the PS4/XB1 split is going to be much closer than normal. 60-65% on PS4 has been the norm for big games, so I think this one might be more like 55/45.
You were quite off expecting the normal ratio to drop from the usual 60-65% down to 55%.

In fact it increased to 68% for the ps4. This didn't include digital but not sure about bundles. Retail sales of over 600k so that's roughly 190k xb1 and 410k ps4. With digital overall sales are probably over a million.

The ratio makes perfect sense for the ps4. Why would the split to Xbox decrease when this game had the full weight of Sony exclusive advertising behind it. If Sony get the GTA VI advertising that ratio will be even more in PS favour.

Yeah that's ridiculous and especially when you consider not far off half the sales will probably be digital which are the most profitable type of sales.

I also expect legs to be good both retail and digital. This will end up doing huge numbers with reviews and WOM helping.

GTA VI though. Jeeez that will be big.

Xevross

Walmart has listed a $199 PS4 Slim bundle with Spider-Man, which is fudgy nuts. Surely its a mistake. Even so, the bundle must be legit and will no doubt move a lot of units even if its $299. Maybe its $199 for BF, if so then hooooo boy.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Playstation-Ps4-1tb-Spiderman/579371947

BananaKing

Walmart has listed a $199 PS4 Slim bundle with Spider-Man, which is fudgy nuts. Surely its a mistake. Even so, the bundle must be legit and will no doubt move a lot of units even if its $299. Maybe its $199 for BF, if so then hooooo boy.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Playstation-Ps4-1tb-Spiderman/579371947
I think this is for black Friday. That's gonna be a huge deal though, BF is gonna be big for PS4, Sony should stock enough of it.

Spiderman Is gonna sell atleast 7 million this year. I think it can get close to 10 million. I hope Sony gives us an update

Xevross

I think this is for black Friday. That's gonna be a huge deal though, BF is gonna be big for PS4, Sony should stock enough of it.

Spiderman Is gonna sell atleast 7 million this year. I think it can get close to 10 million. I hope Sony gives us an update

BF deals don't get posted like this, and it says shipping now. Its a mistake, and we don't know what part about it is a mistake yet.

Spider-Man could have already sold 7m.

Xevross

the-pi-guy

Spider-Man could have already sold 7m.
I have no doubt.
Basically 3.3m first week
Probably near 5m second week
Probably near 6m fourth week

7m nearly 2 months out, seems easy even .

And its gone.
Black Friday here we come

Go Up