- From 4JStudios (1 page)

- From Market participant B (1 page)

- From Market participant C (1 page)

- From Market participant D (1 page)

- From Market participant E (1 page)

- From Market participant F (1 page)
Not sure if anyone is interested

BananaKing

Yeah seems the deal will go ahead. At this point I hope the CoD games at least stay multiplayer

Anyways, MS will kill most of these studios sooner or later

the-pi-guy

Sony: 56%
MS: 44%

I've never seen this described as 56/44=1.27 (27%) difference in market share

kitler53

ugh.   why does "good for competition" have to mean i lose access to games.   it's not pro-consumer to force me to buy into xbox in order to play the games i've had access to for the last 20+ years.  

fuk you MS.  fuk you.

you're losing because you're shame and only because your shame.  

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Several posters on Era are calling this common sense..  but if that were the end of the reasoning then there wouldn't be any exclusives whatsoever.

the-pi-guy

Mar 21, 2023, 03:07 PM Last Edit: Mar 21, 2023, 03:12 PM by the-pi-guy
guSFl3x.png

I love all the removals.   ;D

Horizon

It's alright the UK will force MS to sell COD or hold the deal up. Xbox is closest to Playstation here and there is no way the CMA will let a constant million plus seller be owned by MS or Sony. They would do the same with EA, Take or Warner Bros.

the-pi-guy

It's alright the UK will force MS to sell COD or hold the deal up. Xbox is closest to Playstation here and there is no way the CMA will let a constant million plus seller be owned by MS or Sony. They would do the same with EA, Take or Warner Bros.
You have a lot more confidence in the outcome than I do.

MS is pushing pretty hard on behavioral remedies.

Horizon

You have a lot more confidence in the outcome than I do.

MS is pushing pretty hard on behavioral remedies.
I generally believe the CMA knows they won't work. They also know 10 years isn't that long. Like I said the UK is the most tightly contested market so MS claims about being unable to compete do not hold weight here. The CMA will only look at the UK market and know allowing MS to own COD would be a major way to kill competition. They've already gone to task with them in regards to Bethesda and their exclusivity. The EU will allow behavioural remedies as MS is getting whooped so hard in Europe they need all the help they can get but in the UK it won't happen. They will have to sell COD or ABK for the CMA to approve this.

the-pi-guy

BananaKing

Thats a good point. But I see the 200 million number is probably too low. These guys have been working on CoD for close to 20 years, maybe more. It started out on the PS2 gen, so its 4 generations in worth of experience and tech.

kitler53

Thats a good point. But I see the 200 million number is probably too low. These guys have been working on CoD for close to 20 years, maybe more. It started out on the PS2 gen, so its 4 generations in worth of experience and tech.
i was going to say the same.  200 million is basically the cost to make a sequel to CoD with all of the prior stuff already in place.   To start from scratch,.. probably more like a few billion.   ...and even then g'luck.   mp games = communities.   it's not enough to have a game that is fun and full of features.  you have to have people to play against and to convivence the CoD community to transition means being bigger and better in meaningful ways.   ...probably an impossible task even with $100 Billion investment.

Horizon

Just looking at linkdedin and all those studios have basically 600 employees. So you'd need around 1500 employees minimum as well.

kitler53

Just looking at linkdedin and all those studios have basically 600 employees. So you'd need around 1500 employees minimum as well.
i mean,.. that's a minimum.   that guy in Pi's post is really downplaying the amount of work being done by "support" studios.   

in 2021 it was announced that toys for bob and raven studios would be support studios dedicated to CoD.   that's another 200 + 350 employees right there.

the-pi-guy

Mar 22, 2023, 05:57 PM Last Edit: Mar 22, 2023, 05:58 PM by the-pi-guy
i was going to say the same.  200 million is basically the cost to make a sequel to CoD with all of the prior stuff already in place.   To start from scratch,.. probably more like a few billion.   ...and even then g'luck.   mp games = communities.   it's not enough to have a game that is fun and full of features.  you have to have people to play against and to convivence the CoD community to transition means being bigger and better in meaningful ways.   ...probably an impossible task even with $100 Billion investment.
I took the $200 million as that's a low minimum they would need to spend before even starting work on the game. Before even spending another $200 million or more to make the game.

I would also throw in that post is 3 years old.
I think CoD has gotten to be a bigger development monster in that time.

Go Up