Bet: Will the Activision Deal close? - It has closed

Started by the-pi-guy, Feb 01, 2023, 05:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

To be honest, it wouldn't be that difficult for another AAA studio to make a game like COD. There was even a period just a few years ago when Battlefield was doing better than it.

No one however can compete with their rate of releasing new games and content. Releasing a COD size game every year is incredibly impressive.

the-pi-guy

To be honest, it wouldn't be that difficult for another AAA studio to make a game like COD. There was even a period just a few years ago when Battlefield was doing better than it.

No one however can compete with their rate of releasing new games and content. Releasing a COD size game every year is incredibly impressive.
I feel like that was longer than a few years ago.

Battlefield 3 was fairly competitive with CoD in 2011. Then Battlefield 4 did half as well.

Legend

I feel like that was longer than a few years ago.

Battlefield 3 was fairly competitive with CoD in 2011. Then Battlefield 4 did half as well.
Battlefield 1 probably outsold Infinite Warfare. That was 2016.

the-pi-guy

"I'm told that Sony controls a monopoly of 98% of the high-end game market, yet Japan's government has allowed Sony to engage in blatant anti-competitive conduct through exclusive deals and payments to game publishers," Cantwell said during a Senate Finance Committee hearing.
locked behind a paywall

Sony really has a monopoly in one country when you take out the biggest competitor that controls like 90%* of the market.

*I don't actually know the number. I just know that Switch is absurdly massive to the point that it usually controls the entire top 30 games chart*

Horizon

Looks like the CMA will pass it now. Yeah this is going through. Really surprised the CMA buckled.

the-pi-guy

The CMA has received a significant amount of new evidence in response to its original provisional findings. Having considered this new evidence carefully, together with the wide range of information gathered before those provisional findings were issued, the CMA inquiry group has updated its provisional findings and reached the provisional conclusion that, overall, the transaction will not result in a substantial lessening of competition in relation to console gaming in the UK.
The most significant new evidence provided to the CMA relates to Microsoft's financial incentives to make Activision's games, including Call of Duty (CoD), exclusive to its own consoles. While the CMA's original analysis indicated that this strategy would be profitable under most scenarios, new data (which provides better insight into the actual purchasing behaviour of CoD gamers) indicates that this strategy would be significantly loss-making under any plausible scenario. On this basis, the updated analysis now shows that it would not be commercially beneficial to Microsoft to make CoD exclusive to Xbox following the deal, but that Microsoft will instead still have the incentive to continue to make the game available on PlayStation
Yeah this seems like a big deal.

the-pi-guy

One leading antitrust lawyer said: "This is a very unusual development. In CMA-era cases, there has only been one other occurrence of 'updated' provisional findings that I'm aware of." "This is extremely unusual," said an ex-CMA lawyer. "Restating your provisional findings is something you would rather die than do."
Financial Times

Horizon

The thing they don't seem to take into account is MS would be willing to do a loss leading. They do not realise MS will keep bankrolling them as long as Nadella is there. Under leadership they might be screwed but that's another discussion.

nnodley

this is still the worst deal to ever hit the gaming industry, but i'm still of the mind that say MS does 10 years of CoD everywhere, then pulls it after, that Sony absolutely has the talent to create something of the scope of CoD or better.  Especially now that they have bungie.  And doesn't even have to be Bungie doing full dev, but just kind of co-developing and helping out for guidance.

Theres absolutely no reason why Sony couldn't.  And tbh, while CoD is still a massive juggernaut i could see it becoming worse and worse under MS management.

From a realistic standpoint MS should just buy acti and just leave everything how it goes.  It would be a massive moneymaker for them to just keep everything multiplat. But we know from MS's history they will do anything to fudge over competition when they are losing.

Horizon

this is still the worst deal to ever hit the gaming industry, but i'm still of the mind that say MS does 10 years of CoD everywhere, then pulls it after, that Sony absolutely has the talent to create something of the scope of CoD or better.  Especially now that they have bungie.  And doesn't even have to be Bungie doing full dev, but just kind of co-developing and helping out for guidance.

Theres absolutely no reason why Sony couldn't.  And tbh, while CoD is still a massive juggernaut i could see it becoming worse and worse under MS management.

From a realistic standpoint MS should just buy acti and just leave everything how it goes.  It would be a massive moneymaker for them to just keep everything multiplat. But we know from MS's history they will do anything to fudge over competition when they are losing.
Yeah say what you want about MS but they do not know how to manage studios or cultivate talent. It's just not in their culture, they produce software products that are as sterile and functional as they come. They don't know how to harness creativity. They either micromanage too much or let everything go. Sony on other hand are an entertainment company so know all about creativity and harnessing talent. It's why I think no matter who MS buys they'll always ruin them. As Steve Jobs said MS have no taste; they are the most beige company in the industry. 

BananaKing

Yeah say what you want about MS but they do not know how to manage studios or cultivate talent. It's just not in their culture, they produce software products that are as sterile and functional as they come. They don't know how to harness creativity. They either micromanage too much or let everything go. Sony on other hand are an entertainment company so know all about creativity and harnessing talent. It's why I think no matter who MS buys they'll always ruin them. As Steve Jobs said MS have no taste; they are the most beige company in the industry.  
100% agree. Look at all the great IP that MS developed themselves in house.....

Forza... a racing sim. Even halo and gears are IPs that they bought.

Horizon

100% agree. Look at all the great IP that MS developed themselves in house.....

Forza... a racing sim. Even halo and gears are IPs that they bought.
Yeah and racing games are the most uninspired games. They could never come up with something like the last of us.

the-pi-guy

They either micromanage too much or let everything go.
I feel like their problem in past gens was micromanaging, but they seem to have taken a complete 180 this gen and seem to be too hands off.

Some of the studios like Obsidian, Tango Gameworks seem to be doing fairly well with that, and then you have others like 343 that really aren't. I think they're in better shape overall compared to last gen, but they're not really doing as well as a company with 23 mostly big studios should be. SIE has been outproducing them with fewer studios.  

Horizon

I feel like their problem in past gens was micromanaging, but they seem to have taken a complete 180 this gen and seem to be too hands off.

Some of the studios like Obsidian, Tango Gameworks seem to be doing fairly well with that, and then you have others like 343 that really aren't. I think they're in better shape overall compared to last gen, but they're not really doing as well as a company with 23 mostly big studios should be. Insomniac has been outproducing them with fewer studios.  
Updated :D

the-pi-guy

I think at this point it's like 95% sure to pass.

CMA dropped their console concerns. MS is wooing everyone to satisfy their cloud concerns.  

Go Up