Starfield OT Gone Gold

Started by Legend, Mar 17, 2022, 12:03 AM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Go Down

nnodley

I'm a bit into the game.  Not really far, but to me at least there isn't anything standing out in the game.  Its good, but not great right now.  Maybe as I keep going that will change.  We will see.

nnodley

my biggest gripe with the game is I feel like I'm in the menu/star map way too often when I'm in space and want to travel to other planets, etc.  I mean its not really an easy solve since you can't just fly to other systems or planets with ease, but it just gets annoying when I feel like I'm in the UI for 50% of my playtime.

the-pi-guy

Future Starfield Update:

This first update is a small hotfix targeted at the few top issues were are seeing. After that, expect a regular interval of updates that have top community requested features including:
Brightness and Contrast controls
HDR Calibration Menu
FOV Slider
Nvidia DLSS Support (PC)
32:9 Ultrawide Monitor Support (PC)
Eat button for food!

Legend

Sep 13, 2023, 04:24 PM Last Edit: Sep 13, 2023, 04:51 PM by Legend
my biggest gripe with the game is I feel like I'm in the menu/star map way too often when I'm in space and want to travel to other planets, etc.  I mean its not really an easy solve since you can't just fly to other systems or planets with ease, but it just gets annoying when I feel like I'm in the UI for 50% of my playtime.
Not perfect but while playing you can click on planets within a system and travel to them directly. You can also look towards your objective's star system and travel to it.

Bring up the scanner in your ship and it helps you see them.

Future Starfield Update:
This game is still so confusing. It's like the most incredible Christmas present you could imagine yet they buried it outside instead of putting it under the tree with a bow.

On the topic of patches and updates, here's a basic thing that'd help new players get into the game.

Actually good maps! Every single surface map looks like this:
Starfield's map is even worse than Fallout and Skyrim's | Rock Paper Shotgun

Yet this is what this area actually looks like:

As is the surface maps are useless outside of checking distances and fast traveling. It's cool exploring these areas without maps since they have signs and business directories, but the map actively makes things feel worse than they are. I spent many hours thinking this city was divided into small unrelated chunks.

Personally I'd also really like surface maps that show natural resources once you have the correct skills. You can see resources from space so you know what'll be available in an area but it still would be nice to have a local map too. As is I run around the map for a bit in base placement mode to find the best spot.

edt: they even mention maps in your link. Wowza might happen soonish.

Legend

Hold the front door, an even bigger what the fudge.

Starfield planets are actually "seamless" and can be explored in their entirety. Landing markers on the map can be disabled allowing you to click ever so slightly to the side and then you'll land ever so slightly to the side.

Reddit - Dive into anything

CDN media

This is not at all how I thought the game worked. I was sure it just loaded a random 8km by 8km map based off biome and then decorated it to match whichever planet you landed on. I thought clicking on a designated landing site was the only way to see hand built content.

I have no freaking clue why they did all this work since you absolutely cannot tell in the game. Some think they originally wanted seamless planets and this is a leftover feature but how could seamless planets ever work with flat square chunks? I can't wait for more people to test the limits and see what's really happening.

Legend

Like this is absolutely crazy. Remove Planetary Tile Boundary at Starfield Nexus - Mods and Community

If you land next to new atlantis in a different tile and build an outpost, that outpost will then be "visible" from new atlantis. I can't tell if the outpost itself is actually rendering or if it's just the marker.

Before the end of the year, maybe before the end of the month, modders are going to have seamless space travel and seamless planetary travel. The game already supports these things but the devs probably thought players would complain about how boring they are.

Seamless space to planet and planet to space will take a lot longer and might never be possible. That doesn't seem like something the engine has any interest in.

Legend

I went to my first ocean beach. Didn't even know the game had them till yesterday.

Tech wise, story wise, gameplay wise, I keep learning so many crazy things.

Dr. Pezus

Wait, it's down to 83 on Meta?

Legend

Sep 17, 2023, 04:56 PM Last Edit: Sep 17, 2023, 05:06 PM by Legend
Wait, it's down to 83 on Meta?
Lol what a joke that it's 83 on xbox yet 87 on pc.

Most people online have acted like the pc port is worse. Opencritic has it at 86 so I wonder which reviews got extra weight on meta.

Bethesda really screwed up by not making the game seem cool in its opening hours. It's super common for people to play the game and have somewhat negative feelings only to eventually love it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starfield/comments/16jxxk6/thought_everyone_would_enjoy_this_one_haha_so_true/

Horizon

It's a good game but not great so far. I love the world, aesthetic and faction quests. Some of the main story campaign has been good but nothing amazing. Combat is a big improvement over Fallout 4. The cities are pretty cool with Neon being the most interesting. The game does take too long to get going and I was looking at the achievements and only 56% made it constellation so far which is about an hour into the game so clearly lots of people just gave up.

kitler53

It's a good game but not great so far. I love the world, aesthetic and faction quests. Some of the main story campaign has been good but nothing amazing. Combat is a big improvement over Fallout 4. The cities are pretty cool with Neon being the most interesting. The game does take too long to get going and I was looking at the achievements and only 56% made it constellation so far which is about an hour into the game so clearly lots of people just gave up.
1. i dunno that 56% of people bailing on a game an hour into a game is all that uncommon for any game.   i often times look at trophy completion and am baffled at how quickly people bail on a game.   

2. i say this without proof but i think it makes sense that a game featured on gamepass/ps+ extra probably has a higher rate of quitters.   i imagine that the "free" aspect attracts a lot of people that are "curious" compared to games where you have to drop even $10 to try the game.   

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

nnodley

I'm finding it hard for me to want to keep playing.  Just feels kinda meh. I'm curious about the main story, so I'll likely really just blaze through that and be done with it.

Legend

I'm finding it hard for me to want to keep playing.  Just feels kinda meh. I'm curious about the main story, so I'll likely really just blaze through that and be done with it.
What have you done in the game so far?

nnodley

What have you done in the game so far?
I'm to the point in the story where I have to go back to the planet you start on. Been to akila city.  And just done some random side stuff and explored a couple things here and there.  I find I don't really have any desire to go out and explore.  I think i'm just super burnt out on these 100 hours open world games with way too much to do so I don't want to play. lol

Legend

I'm to the point in the story where I have to go back to the planet you start on. Been to akila city.  And just done some random side stuff and explored a couple things here and there.  I find I don't really have any desire to go out and explore.  I think i'm just super burnt out on these 100 hours open world games with way too much to do so I don't want to play. lol
That's fair.

On one hand I'd recommend you try some side quests since those are really cool, but on the other hand you might just want to take a long break. The main quest still has a fair amount left and nothings worse than forcing yourself through a game if you're not enjoying it.

Go Up