PC Community Thread

Started by the-pi-guy, Jul 31, 2014, 02:28 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

SWORDF1SH

Unless your pc is setup improperly it shouldn't damage it.
What sort of temp do you consider bad for the GPU?

the-pi-guy

I just downloaded a game called Number 217721 and after a minute of playing I had to turn it off because the game doesn't let you cap the framerate  so my GPU was running at a constant 95%+. Will this do any damage to the GPU for an extended amount of time and is there an a option to cap the frames outside of the game? I did see options to set the max GPU usage and max heat within the GeForce app but would rather cap the frames.
No, temperature is a more notable issue.

It may shorten the life of your GPU, but they generally have protection against overheating.
In that case, you might see something shut down.  

What sort of temp do you consider bad for the GPU?
Depends on the GPU.

80-85C is generally what you want. There are some GPUs that are often higher, closer to 90C during typical running.

SWORDF1SH

No, temperature is a more notable issue.

It may shorten the life of your GPU, but they generally have protection against overheating.
In that case, you might see something shut down.  

Depends on the GPU.

80-85C is generally what you want. There are some GPUs that are often higher, closer to 90C during typical running.

I have a 3070Ti, nothing crazy. So 80-85C is ok. Thank you.

Legend

3070Ti, nothing crazy
Nothing crazy lol.

I run my gpu at its limits pretty much every day during game dev. It's really not something to worry about. Did a quick test and couldn't get above 81C.

Depends on the GPU.

I like that GPUs are self contained so I never really worry. My CPU however, oh boy was I paranoid for a while that it was too hot.

SWORDF1SH

May 14, 2023, 06:29 PM Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 06:32 PM by SWORDF1SH
On another note, we are having new windows and the window fitter broke my monitor, which was a 1080p monitor, and didn't say a word. So today I bought a new monitor which is 4k. That's another reason I was worried about the GPU because of the extra load of running at a higher res. I don't think I've ever heard my fans until today lol.

Nothing crazy lol.

I run my gpu at its limits pretty much every day during game dev. It's really not something to worry about. Did a quick test and couldn't get above 81C.

I like that GPUs are self contained so I never really worry. My CPU however, oh boy was I paranoid for a while that it was too hot.
So if anything I should worry more about the CPU because that relies more on installing it properly?

Legend

On another note, we are having new windows and the window fitter broke my monitor, which was a 1080p monitor, and didn't say a word. So today I bought a new monitor which is 4k. That's another reason I was worried about the GPU because of the extra load of running at a higher res. I don't think I've ever heard my fans until today lol.
So if anything I should worry more about the CPU because that relies more on installing it properly?
If you built the pc yourself sure, but it's a paranoia more than a valid fear.

Congrats on upgrading to 4k! I love my 4k monitor. Everything just looks so crisp.

SWORDF1SH

If you built the pc yourself sure, but it's a paranoia more than a valid fear.

Congrats on upgrading to 4k! I love my 4k monitor. Everything just looks so crisp.
I did build it myself :o with no experience of PC building :o
*fire emoji*

Legend

I did build it myself :o with no experience of PC building :o
*fire emoji*
My previous PC (my first time building one too) I finished everything and closed it up only to realize part of the case was blocking the displayport port. I was lazy and didn't want to take everything out so I grinded that hunk of metal off while all the parts were still in there  :P

SWORDF1SH

My previous PC (my first time building one too) I finished everything and closed it up only to realize part of the case was blocking the displayport port. I was lazy and didn't want to take everything out so I grinded that hunk of metal off while all the parts were still in there  :P
;D

SWORDF1SH

Days Gone is £13 on Steam... should I?

Legend

SWORDF1SH

No PS5?
I do but I rarely play it these days. PC is where I'm at.

Legend

I do but I rarely play it these days. PC is where I'm at.
Days gone was free if you had base ps+

the-pi-guy

Legend

Go Up