Say Anything About The Game You're Currently Playing...

Started by ethomaz, Jun 05, 2014, 03:13 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

Controversial opinion here, and something that I am probably completely wrong about.

But I feel like Horizon might be a better game if machines were less common. There's a machine site like every 200 feet in the first game. There's nothing particularly special about fighting the machines. It feels like the norm.

Legend

Controversial opinion here, and something that I am probably completely wrong about.

But I feel like Horizon might be a better game if machines were less common. There's a machine site like every 200 feet in the first game. There's nothing particularly special about fighting the machines. It feels like the norm.

I think fighting the machines is more interesting than fighting humans, but the machines definitely feel like optional combat zones a lot of the time.

kitler53

I'm not bible thumping prude or whatever but I don't particularly loved killing humans in any video game.  

I can do without blood and gore must of the time. I prefer enemies that turn into smoke or fireworks or whatever over corpses.  

that part of what fighting machine dinosaurs was good for.  all of the killing none of the guilt.  

I don't know if I would agree that H1 had too many.  you could traverse that land without engaging them for the most part.  

I do think they could have been a bit more engaging in their over world design.  most of the machines were there just to fill space. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Horizon Zero Dawn - Huge Open World Map Size (ALL LOCATIONS) "Map Details"  - YouTube

Most of the map is like this, where like 90% of the locations are different machine sites.

Like I think I'd rather see like half of those stripped out, and make some of the bigger machines roam over wider areas.

Instead of there being a dedicated Thunderjaw area, make it so that a thunderjaw just appears every once in a while. Have it more of a surprise.  

kitler53

Most of the map is like this, where like 90% of the locations are different machine sites.

Like I think I'd rather see like half of those stripped out, and make some of the bigger machines roam over wider areas.

Instead of there being a dedicated Thunderjaw area, make it so that a thunderjaw just appears every once in a while. Have it more of a surprise.  
i'd mostly agree but phrase it slightly differently.

...make if feel like an ecosystem.  some animals roam in groups.  other defend a territory.  but always there is interaction between them.  horizon was structured too much like a game with specific locations you'd find specific robos with no interactions between them.   that's good i guess if you're gameplay is structured around farming kills for part but the game wasn't really structured like that so i think a more dynamic ecosystem approach would feel/play better.

but absolutely, i have  a specific memory of a thunderjaw sitting by itself in a caldera just pacing back and forth.   it was weird.  i'd rather it roam around freely.   so long as there is a tell that one is approaching it would have been more fun (imo) to have to hunt for one when i wanted to kill it or to run from one if i wanted to avoid it.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

BananaKing

Horizon Zero Dawn - Huge Open World Map Size (ALL LOCATIONS)

I agree. Id love to see a more natural movement for machines. Have herds move around. A huge number of machines migrate, have them have cycles in their activity.

I think they did it like this because it saves time. 2- because if hunting and to easily find materials. 3-  to make it easier and have the "routes" of the machine planned out, so you can set the traps and such

Legend

I agree. Id love to see a more natural movement for machines. Have herds move around. A huge number of machines migrate, have them have cycles in their activity.

I think they did it like this because it saves time. 2- because if hunting and to easily find materials. 3-  to make it easier and have the "routes" of the machine planned out, so you can set the traps and such
You should play the second game lol. I don't know if it's pulled off that well, but they have herds. Makes a few fights fun where you're hunting the herd and unexpectedly wander into a dangerous machine's area.

SWORDF1SH

I have been playing Infra for 48 hours and still not finished it. I'm on chapter 8 out of 10 and I've just bought both Quern and Metal Gear Solid V for £13 to add to my Obra Dinn and Outer Wilds back log  :o

Legend

I have been playing Infra for 48 hours and still not finished it. I'm on chapter 8 out of 10 and I've just bought both Quern and Metal Gear Solid V for £13 to add to my Obra Dinn and Outer Wilds back log  :o
I might buy infra since it's on sale.

MGSV is incredible.

I wonder what you'll think of quern. I liked it but didn't love it.

SWORDF1SH

I'm really enjoying Infra. Story is ok but feels very strung out. Puzzles feel relatively natural for a game and not overcomplicated but being more simple goes well with a game that doesn't hold your hand. They've done a great job with making the maps seem bigger than they are and I really love the idea for industrial plants puzzles although could of been pulled off better. Would love to her your take on it but won't say to much.

I've played MGSV on PS4 but never completed it so will be nice to start again on PC.

Legend

I'm really enjoying Infra. Story is ok but feels very strung out. Puzzles feel relatively natural for a game and not overcomplicated but being more simple goes well with a game that doesn't hold your hand. They've done a great job with making the maps seem bigger than they are and I really love the idea for industrial plants puzzles although could of been pulled off better. Would love to her your take on it but won't say to much.

I've played MGSV on PS4 but never completed it so will be nice to start again on PC.
Um so when is it supposed to get good? I'm an hour in and thinking of doing a refund lol.

the-pi-guy

Um so when is it supposed to get good? I'm an hour in and thinking of doing a refund lol.
It gets good when you stop thinking about refunds.  8)

Legend

It gets good when you stop thinking about refunds.  8)
I've never done a refund before. It's just that "bad" lol.

SWORDF1SH

Mar 20, 2023, 01:14 PM Last Edit: Mar 20, 2023, 01:42 PM by SWORDF1SH
I've never done a refund before. It's just that "bad" lol.
If you don't like it and you're an hour in, I don't think you will ever like it lol. Get that refund.
It's pretty much the same all the way through and the story will not make it much better.  
I can see this being a hit or miss game for people and there are negatives but I love so many things about it that it outweighs the negatives.

P.s. Im presuming you've left the office?  

Legend

If you don't like it and you're an hour in, I don't think you will ever like it lol. Get that refund.
It's pretty much the same all the way through and the story will not make it much better.  
I can see this being a hit or miss game for people and there are negatives but I love so many things about it that it outweighs the negatives.

P.s. Im presuming you've left the office?  
I think I'm going to keep trying with it. I "spoiled" myself by watching the trailers and while those didn't excite me, almost all the steam reviews say exactly what I want to hear. Plus your posts have been pretty glowing too.

I modded the game to slow battery drain. I only just reached the elevator at the dam, but the quick battery drain felt like a massive gimmick/red flag.

Go Up