Movie Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 25, 2014, 04:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

Anyone see the movie Fantastic Mr. Fox?

It's a weird thing to me, because I hardly ever think of the movie. And yet I think it's a huge joy to watch.

kitler53

yeah, i own it on dvd.  i'm a big fan of stop-motion so i like it for that.   the story is so-so to me. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

Anyone see the movie Fantastic Mr. Fox?

It's a weird thing to me, because I hardly ever think of the movie. And yet I think it's a huge joy to watch.
Yeah I read the book as a kid so it was kinda exciting when it became a movie.

Movie itself was kinda odd but I still like it too.

nnodley

Way of Water being released digitally on March 28th

Legend

Way of Water being released digitally on March 28th
I hope PS5 gets 3D support soon.

the-pi-guy

Finally been getting around to some anime movies that I've had for quite a while, and never finished.

Millennium Actress, Penguin Highway, Garden of Words

Honesty all of them were good, but also weird for different reasons.

Millennium Actress has a very metaphorical story. I can understand and appreciate metaphors, but it makes the movie less grounded.
Spoiler for Hidden:
<br>The movie is about an actress, and the storyline doesn&#39;t distinguish between what&#39;s real and what was part of her acting career.<br>

I'm sure people here would appreciate that one.

Penguin Highway was very good. It's a bit of a coming of age story, with a ten year old thinking about growing up; what he's going to be like.

Spoiler for the weirdness:
<br>The pretty young boy has an interest in a woman&#39;s breasts.<br><br>It&#39;s one of those things that when I was 10 or maybe 12, I would have related to it, but it feels weird to see as an adult.<br>

Garden of Words was pretty good. I don't think it was as good as Your Name.

Spoiler for the weirdness:
<br><br>The weirdness here is more dependent on how you view the relationship between the two characters.<br><br>It&#39;s very inappropriate if it&#39;s viewed romantically.<br><br>

kitler53

just finished the menu.   wow.  highly recommend. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

just finished the menu.   wow.  highly recommend.
Yeah pretty good for that type of film.

On that note the oscars are tomorrow. My ranking of the nominated films is:

1: Avatar
2: Top Gun
3: Tar, I went in with absolutely zero expectations so the movie really surprised me
4: Everything Everywhere, a bit too weird but still pretty great
5: Fablemens
6: Elvis
7: The Banshees of Irishmen, only film I haven't watched yet so this ranking is a guess based off what others have told me
8: Women Talking, was kinda good but just so odd that the movie takes place in Bolivia. During the movie I thought it was in America and everything felt unrealistic (the walking away to find new land to cultivate part, not the sexism/rape part)
9: All quiet on the western front
10: Triangle of Sadness, only movie I hated so it'll probably win just like nomanland last year. First act was pretty decent but most elements of this movie were so low quality.

Legend

Jonathan Majors Arrested in NYC Following Domestic Dispute

If the allegations are correct, it might lead to a full reset of Marvel going forward.

BananaKing

Jonathan Majors Arrested in NYC Following Domestic Dispute

If the allegations are correct, it might lead to a full reset of Marvel going forward.
Why?

Legend

Why?
He plays kang, their big new Thanos level bad guy. Disney could just recast him but the new movies are already having issues. Killing him off and moving to a more known bad guy like Dr. Doom could be their best move.

SWORDF1SH

Just watched Mortal Kombat (2021) and it's just ok. CGI sucked for 2021, Kano shouldn't be the only interesting character, fight scenes are anticlimactic and  keep the corny "use the uppercut dad" stuff out of it, especially if you're going the mature route. I did enjoy it but expected more. 5/10

BananaKing

Just watched Mortal Kombat (2021) and it's just ok. CGI sucked for 2021, Kano shouldn't be the only interesting character, fight scenes are anticlimactic and  keep the corny "use the uppercut dad" stuff out of it, especially if you're going the mature route. I did enjoy it but expected more. 5/10
100% agree with you. I hope the next one is better. It had so much potential but they made some weird decisions.

Legend

100% agree with you. I hope the next one is better. It had so much potential but they made some weird decisions.
I liked a lot of things about it, but a 5/10 seems fair.

the-pi-guy

just finished the menu.   wow.  highly recommend.
For some reason I keep getting shorts for this on YouTube, despite not reacting to any of them.  

Go Up