PlayStation Studios Development

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 27, 2015, 08:29 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

kitler53

Feb 24, 2023, 04:26 PM Last Edit: Feb 24, 2023, 04:44 PM by kitler53
Why doesn't CDPR fit sony? They make great games, and id argue Sony would have given them more time to work on cyberpunk if they saw it needed more time for polishing.

They release big games and released smaller ones throughout.  I really hope Sony gets them before MS does
in my point of view,.. it's more about how the studio operates than what kind of games it makes.   the culture at that studio seems pretty toxic.   MS clearly doesn't care about that but Sony seems to care a lot.  I think sony see's a studio more as a collection of developers than as a collection of IP.   sony seems to care more about if they can groom them into something great than they care about prior sucesses.

But the thing is, they do really good games, and the type that would fit perfectly into sonys catalogue. Yes the launch if cyberpunk was a mess, but this is still a studio growing and dealing with the hardships of AAA development, they could really benefit from Sonys experience

Also, they are moving to unreal, which I think will help their development process a lot.

As for GoG, its not really a big thing anymore, they can shut it down, just keep it going, or revamp it and start releasing Sony games on it.

Either way, Sony needs to snatch up as much developers as they can before MS does. After Activision, I dont think Ms will go for another publisher for a while, and go for big devs, like CDPR.
i can't argue against that first sentence.  

While i do agree there is an urgency to buy something i'll argue against you for that last bit.   if MS isn't blocked on activision i think MS will get even more aggressive in buying publishers.  If they aren't blocked for activision why would they get blocked on any of the smaller publishers.

SE is a likely target imo.   MS, imo, seems to be specifically targeting places where sony is seeing benefits.   Deathloop a timed exclusive?  we'll buy them.   Marketing rights to CoD?  We'll buy them.  Despite all of the charm offensive I think MS is very specifically trying to kill playstation.    They don't care about PC or nintendo but for some reason they feel the need to kill playstation.   

Is there literally any evidence that Sony just wants high quality high selling games regardless of anything else?

They haven't bought a single studio like that. Every big studio so far has either fit current playstation or been part of their public goals to expand into gaas.
sony's buying pattern has been one of "value".   find a studio that is "cheap" today but has a good potential to be "great" tomorrow with some coaching.  i think they care a lot about culture.   i think they care a lot about growth potential.   but mostly i think sony is very mindful that they don't have a spare 95 billion dollars to spend on acquisitions so the money they do spend better be worth it.   

bungie to me feels like the old-ball and i truly believe their PR in that they bought them because they needed or wanted their help with GaaS games.  

i don't know about larian's work culture but i feel like they could be on the cusp of what happend with fromSoftware going from a few million a game to 20 million for elden ring.  divinity 2 might have sold most of it's sales in the bargin bin but i don't know a single person that wasn't extreemly happy with the game.   personally, i didn't even know larian/divinity existed when it launched but i do know my coop buddy and I decided last night to buy baldur's gate day-1.   

btw,.. i still can't believe that sony got insomniac for a mere $229 million.  what an amazing deal that was for sony.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

SE is a likely target imo.   MS, imo, seems to be specifically targeting places where sony is seeing benefits.   Deathloop a timed exclusive?  we'll buy them.   Marketing rights to CoD?  We'll buy them.  Despite all of the charm offensive I think MS is very specifically trying to kill playstation.    They don't care about PC or nintendo but for some reason they feel the need to kill playstation.  
lol. MS didn't buy Zenimax because of Deathloop, or because Sony was getting benefits from Zenimax.

It's all about Gamepass. People played Skyrim for hundreds of hours. Starfield almost by itself will probably keep a lot of people on Gamepass.

Call of Duty is pretty much the biggest title of every year. Want to play hundreds of games, get your Call of Duty for just the price of a subscription, well now you can.  

kitler53

lol. MS didn't buy Zenimax because of Deathloop, or because Sony was getting benefits from Zenimax.

It's all about Gamepass. People played Skyrim for hundreds of hours. Starfield almost by itself will probably keep a lot of people on Gamepass.

Call of Duty is pretty much the biggest title of every year. Want to play hundreds of games, get your Call of Duty for just the price of a subscription, well now you can.  

the-pi-guy

A guess at a roadmap:

San Diego - MLB The Show 23 (2023)
Insomniac - Spider-Man 2 (2023)
SIE published - Stellar Blade (2023)
SIE published - Convallaria (2023)
SIE published - Firewall Ultra (2023)
Team Asobi - Astrobot (2023+)
Naughty Dog - The Last of Us Online (2023+)
Media Molecule - TBA (2023+) (Assuming they're doing something besides Dreams)

San Diego - MLB The Show 24 (2024)
SIE published - Rise of the Ronin (2024)
Bend Studio - TBA (2024+)
Bluepoint - TBA (2024+)
Firesprite - Narrative Adventure (2024+)
Firesprite - Multiplayer Action (2024+)
Guerilla - Horizon Online (2024+)
Insomniac - Wolverine (2024+)
Pixelopus - TBA (2024+)
Sucker Punch - Ghost of Tsushima II (2024+)
SIE published - Death Stranding 2 (2024+)

San Diego - MLB The Show 25 (2025)
Haven - TBA (2025+)
Housemarque - TBA (2025+)
Insomniac - Multiplayer (2025+)
London Studio - Online Game (2025+)
Naughty Dog - single player TBA (2025+)
Santa Monica Studio - TBA (2025+)
SIE published - KOTOR (2025+)
SIE published - Firewalk Studios TBA (2025+)
SIE published - Deviation Games TBA (2025+)

Legend

That's depressing but probably realistic.

I don't really understand why Sony's sequels have been so slow. GOW Ragnarok and Horizon Forbidden West have the pandemic as a pretty good excuse, but how is something like ghost of tsushima 2 probably taking 4 years? Infamous to got was only 6 years and that included time spent on a cancelled game.

the-pi-guy

There are also a few other things not on there.

Helldivers 2
That Mass Effecty looking game
Whatever Ballistic Moon is making
There was also a Project Carbon by Sumo

And I'm assuming we will see more in the works. At least for published titles.

the-pi-guy

Legend

Sony game keeps slaying  8)

the-pi-guy

Sony game keeps slaying  8)
I wonder if Sony acquiring Bungie has made more people interested in Destiny.

kitler53

perhaps.  i'll say it just looks like a better update than previous updates.   i've been out of destiny for a while now and felt no panes of regret with respect to shadow keep, beyond light, or witch queen.  looked very "more of the same" to me.   maybe it wasn't but that's what it looked like.

lightfall appears to be almost a soft reboot on the game.  lots of new stuff to not just feel like more content but different kinds of content.   not sure i'll go back in but i'm definitely more interested.

nnodley

I just wish they'd drop the GAAS shame in destiny and make a full blown single player campaign for the world.  I'd be way more interested in that.

which i know will never happen

kitler53

I just wish they'd drop the GAAS shame in destiny and make a full blown single player campaign for the world.  I'd be way more interested in that.

which i know will never happen
i mean it's been a while for me but forsaken had a pretty big single player campaign.   it just also had all the GaaS stuff.  

the-pi-guy

Destiny must be currently bigger than Halo?

kitler53

the-pi-guy

Go Up