PSVR2 tracking ahead of PSVR1

Spider-Man PC 1.5 million sales
The Last of Us Part 1 PC 368k sales.

the-pi-guy

May 23, 2023, 11:04 PM Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 11:13 PM by the-pi-guy
oeihni2.png

QTeLMxx.png

the-pi-guy

Bloomberg: Sony Group Corp. is projected to sell fewer than 300,000 PlayStation VR2 headsets in its first weeks on the market, a slow start for company efforts to take a leading role in development of the metaverse.

Reality: beat that in the first week, doubled it in 6 weeks

Pretty impressive considering PSVR1 came out during the holiday.

Legend

May 23, 2023, 11:14 PM Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 11:17 PM by Legend
Not good at all for psvr2. Had a bigger first week but is selling worse than psvr1 per week.

Looks like PSVR1 was selling 3x as much as PSVR2 in the latest week.

Edt: forgot psvr1 was oct release. Chart for psvr2 looks really bad but the comparison to psvr1 looks better.

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

Not good at all for psvr2. Had a bigger first week but is selling worse than psvr1 per week.

Looks like PSVR1 was selling 3x as much as PSVR2 in the latest week.

Edt: forgot psvr1 was oct release. Chart for psvr2 looks really bad but the comparison to psvr1 looks better.
I expect it will start trending a little better in like 3 weeks relative to PSVR1.

Not a lot of growth, but I think overall it's pretty decent. Also despite largely being exclusive to PS Direct.

the-pi-guy

May 24, 2023, 02:27 AM Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 02:38 AM by the-pi-guy
It's absolutely wild to me that SIE went "we are doing well with single player, let's dump huge amounts of money into live service titles".

Not even that it's wild that they're doing that.

It's wild how much they're dumping into live service titles. Their single player budget has to be near the biggest it's ever been for SIE. And yet they're planning on an even bigger investment into live service titles by quite a margin.  

kitler53

it's not that wild.  CoD is a massive part of Sony's revenue.  they know just how much money is to be made by winning that battle. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

kitler53

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

ouch.  so by week 8-9 psvr will be ahead.
As mentioned, PSVR1 launched during the holiday season instead of mid February.

I would expect PSVR1 to come out ahead for the next few weeks, and then PSVR2 to come out ahead after week 10 or so.