Square Enix unveils teaser trailer for "NFT game" Symbiogenesis

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 19, 2023, 04:11 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

On its newly-launched website, Square Enix has further confirmed Symbiogenesis will feature around 10,000 collectible NFT artworks, which will have 'real game utility'.

These NFTs will be centred on unique in-game characters 'with various races and professions', and users who purchase them will be able to use them as profile pictures. They will be sold as each of the game's six major chapters are unveiled, and will contribute to an unfolding story.
https://www.gameshub.com/news/news/square-enix-symbogenesis-nft-game-2609487/

the-pi-guy

So will this blow up?

kitler53

don't care if reviews claim it to be really fun.  will never buy/download as a protest to NFT. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

Believe it or not, I think a cool NFT game is possible. Give it a persistent universe like Eve Online and let players use NFTs to sell stuff on a "black market" outside the game. With the right mechanics this "pay to win" element could be balanced in game, like having a strong law abiding NPC faction that targets people with paperwork discrepancies.

Instead of course every publisher views NFTs as just a different way to sell stuff.

the-pi-guy

Believe it or not, I think a cool NFT game is possible. Give it a persistent universe like Eve Online and let players use NFTs to sell stuff on a "black market" outside the game. With the right mechanics this "pay to win" element could be balanced in game, like having a strong law abiding NPC faction that targets people with paperwork discrepancies.

Instead of course every publisher views NFTs as just a different way to sell stuff.
Can I just say.

I feel like 95% of the pushback on NFTs is less about what they are, and more because they get associated with blockchain and cryptocurrencies and how terrible they are...

Legend

Can I just say.

I feel like 95% of the pushback on NFTs is less about what they are, and more because they get associated with blockchain and cryptocurrencies and how terrible they are...
I don't know, I think I actually dislike NFTs more than crypto atm. Ethereum has mostly fixed its environmental issues by switching to proof of stake so it's just the communities that suck now and the NFT crowed is far louder.

kitler53

I hate nft and crypto. 

SWORDF1SH

BananaKing

I think the hate is there because its simply all about money. It really doesn't add anything gameplay wise.

kitler53

I think the hate is there because its simply all about money. It really doesn't add anything gameplay wise.
the hate is around "pay to earn".   there is soo much shaming game design already to "bend the knee" to poorly executed monetization practices like season passes and mtx.   NFT is the new peak of games that are designed to not be fun because the business model was the design priority.

+ NRT are like buying $2,000 gucci purse,... it's not really better and half the time it's uglier than a reasonably priced alternative.  the only reason people buy that shame is so they can walk down the street and advertise their wealth.   fudge those people.   i'm not going to hang out in a game just so that shaming people can flaunt their stupidity wealth to me.  

BananaKing

Mar 20, 2023, 05:12 PM Last Edit: Mar 20, 2023, 05:15 PM by BananaKing
the hate is around "pay to earn".   there is soo much shaming game design already to "bend the knee" to poorly executed monetization practices like season passes and mtx.   NFT is the new peak of games that are designed to not be fun because the business model was the design priority.

+ NRT are like buying $2,000 gucci purse,... it's not really better and half the time it's uglier than a reasonably priced alternative.  the only reason people buy that shame is so they can walk down the street and advertise their wealth.   fudge those people.   i'm not going to hang out in a game just so that shaming people can flaunt their stupidity wealth to me. 
At least battle passes and MTX now are mostly cosmetic, and thats why people are okay with them.

Listen, devs and publishers need to make money, its a reality, things can't be free. But there needs to be a balance, im personally currently fine with the balance most games now have, though I dont consider it great design and feel it can be improved on a lot. But it can be a lot worse, just look at mobile games.

I think the interest behind NFTs now is that it will be a big business later, and those who invest in the right ones, will make a huge return later.

But to me the idea of NFT just seems... dumb... and to a lot of people it feels that way too. And thats a huge part of the issue

kitler53

I know devs need to make money.  

..but right now I'm playing GoW (self), eldin ring (coop), and Minecraft dungeons (with my son).  

2 of these games are well designed for fun.   Minecraft is specifically poorly designed to make room for mtx and season passes and the game suffers for it.  

for a while there I didn't hate these sorts of things but as more and more games incorporate them the more angry I get that Soo few games are actually designed to be fun.

I just want to pay for a good game, reach a definitive ending, and buy a new game.