What will Naughty Dog's next game announcement be?

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 14, 2023, 01:37 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

The Last of Us Online has been announced without a title, and that's something they've been talking about for a couple years now.

Neil has been mentioning that he is working on something else. What do you think/hopeit will be?

- New Uncharted game?
- New Jak and Daxter game?
- The Last of Us game?
- New IP/what kind of new IP?

nnodley

Its most definitely TLOU Part 3 or a new IP. They both are probably in development in some capacity.

kitler53

The Last of Us Online has been announced without a title, and that's something they've been talking about for a couple years now.

Neil has been mentioning that he is working on something else. What do you think/hopeit will be?

- New Uncharted game?    DEFIENTLY NOT
- New Jak and Daxter game?   DEFIENTLY NOT
- The Last of Us game?   MAYBE SOMEDAY BUT BASED ON THAT STATEMENT BY NEIL I DON'T THINK IT'S THEIR NEXT GAME
- New IP/what kind of new IP?  YES YES YES!!!
i think the real question is what kind of game will their next game be?

based on sony overall and some recent statements by neil i think their next game will be open world.   i still think it will be heavily story driven,.. that's the heart and soul of ND these days.   so last thing to guess at is theme:
- space/future
- historical theme: like renaissance or feudal japan or whatever
- fantasy: like magic and shame
- ect

I don't know where they go next but i hope it is unique.   I'll bet ND could make a good space game but there are quite a few games in that space (pun intended) already i'm afraid they'd get punished for it.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

I think:

- TLOU Part 3 will come later
- Uncharted will come from someone else.
- New IP from Naughty Dog will be the next announcement.  

There was some fantasy concept art by one of the artists at ND:

hyoung-nam-dragonslayer-hn-j-1024x1012.jpg

BananaKing

The last two ND franchises were third person shooters with brawling melee combat. I hope they move on from that.

At least be in a setting that allows you to use other gameplay elements, like fantasy can be melee and magic, sci-fi can allow for flying and use of different types of weapons/machines.

Legend

the-pi-guy

Quote from: Naughty Dog audio director
realism and sound is actually very difficult to recreate faithfully, because when you do it incorrectly, it's immediately noticeable. When there's, you know, when you're working on a big game that involves magic or, you know, sort of hyper realism in a really substantial way, it's easy to hide behind, you know, big sound.
Tin foil hat time.  8)

Legend

Tin foil hat time.  8)
It'll be very interesting to see how they differentiate from god of war. Since TLOU1, ND has only made emotionally difficult games. I doubt they want to do something as dark as TLOU again yet if they do something slightly lighter like Uncharted 4 it'd be very similar to modern GOW.

kitler53

Tin foil hat time.  8)
i mean,.. he's not wrong.  

no one can criticize insomniac for accurately portraying lombaxes...

the-pi-guy

i mean,.. he's not wrong.  

no one can criticize insomniac for accurately portraying lombaxes...
You need to tighten your tin foil hat.  

- several pieces of fantasy concept art
- audio director mentioning magic

The evidence is piling up.   8)

kitler53

Mar 14, 2023, 09:30 PM Last Edit: Mar 14, 2023, 09:34 PM by kitler53
It'll be very interesting to see how they differentiate from god of war. Since TLOU1, ND has only made emotionally difficult games. I doubt they want to do something as dark as TLOU again yet if they do something slightly lighter like Uncharted 4 it'd be very similar to modern GOW.
not sure I can agree with that.  maybe at the highest levels:
- 3rd person perspective
- has a story
- has combat

...but is ratchet and clank just a GoW clone?  Or horizon?   Or Returnal?  Or Elden Ring?  Or Forspoken?

sure,.. if ND makes a game with an axe that can be thrown and called back with a archer for a side kick the games will feel really similar.  But it won't take much for it to feel different.  Hell,.. just being a shooter like TLoU or Uncharted would already make it a very different game.

You need to tighten your tin foil hat. 

- several pieces of fantasy concept art
- audio director mentioning magic

The evidence is piling up.   8)

did i say it wouldn't be fantasy?  I think i clearly state above that fantasy could be ND's next theme. 

ND will want something with mass appeal.  I figure fantasy and space are the obvious choices.   i also think they are some of the most overused choices which I think ND is keenly aware of.  They didn't exactly make a zombie game they did a "fungal infection".   I don't know what direction they go but I do expect they will find some way to be broadly appealing but also distinguished.

the-pi-guy

I just thought you were implying he was talking matter of factly. Which is a silly thing for me to think.  

Sony has a lot of sci-fi/sci-fi adjacent games.
Horizon, Destiny. They just had Returnal.
I think Ratchet would be more of a sci-fi game than a fantasy title.  
They are publishing a handful of sci-fi titles (Death Stranding arguably, there's that leaked Mass Effecty looking title, rumored Helldivers 2.)
Depending on what one considers sci-fi, you could probably count 8 or more games that have some sci-fi elements.

I think on that basis alone, they only really have 1 actual hard fantasy title, God of War.  If they're looking at it like that, it feels like a better area.

Legend

ot sure I can agree with that.  maybe at the highest levels:
- 3rd person perspective
- has a story
- has combat

...but is ratchet and clank just a GoW clone?  Or horizon?   Or Returnal?  Or Elden Ring?  Or Forspoken?

sure,.. if ND makes a game with an axe that can be thrown and called back with a archer for a side kick the games will feel really similar.  But it won't take much for it to feel different.  Hell,.. just being a shooter like TLoU or Uncharted would already make it a very different game.
Obviously I'm only talking about the story's emotional focus.

kitler53

not obvious to me.   

i think a game can have an emotional story and not feel like GoW.   sony's has been pumping these games out forever.