PlayStation Studios Development

Viewing single post

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 27, 2015, 08:29 PM

previous topic - next topic

Horizon

Mar 27, 2023, 08:20 AM Last Edit: Mar 27, 2023, 08:32 AM by Horizon
Guerrilla's decima engine is really good at procedural as well. It's excellent at building large diverse lands and probably a reason why Horizon development has less people than other games.

Sony has been extremely lean development wise for a very long time.
I think even with Bungie bringing like 850+ developers, Sony probably has ~4,000 developers.  
Compare that to Ubisoft which has like one studio by itself that hires that many people.  And overall hires like 22,000 people.
Activision and EA have like 11,000 people, hard to say how many of those are developers.  

The difference might be that Sony outsources way more.

But still I would be curious to see if Sony decides to undergo a lot of growth. They were relatively close to XGS in size. But with the Activision acquisition, MS will have like 3x as many people...
The acquisitions and growth in studios Sony made in 2021 grew their workface by 20%. It will be interesting to see if Sony will drawn into an arms race with MS. MS reason for acquiring publishers is because they need to feed game pass. Perhaps Sony takes a HBO approach and has less but higher quality releases. Either way I am sure we're going to find out their direction in the next 12 months.