Horizon Forbidden West |OT| it's out

Viewing single post

Started by the-pi-guy, Sep 03, 2021, 02:37 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Legend

I had the same thoughts.  I think God of War was really trapped in the PS4.  I'm going to say some hearsay, but, it's tech feels very limited.  Kratos looks fantastic, but the rest looks really flat.  It doesn't help that the combat is still on a "It works" level.  They patched it up from the first game, so it's not frustrating , but outside of 1 in 1 battles(Where the combat is fantastic), the combat is just there.  They were spawning enemies behind you often, because of how restrictive they were with difficulty.  So it overall felt like the devs were restricted and put all the focus into the story.  Which I'm not sure was the right way to go.  In a sense they should have chopped the story up and focus more on gameplay mechanics.  Which is different to Forbidden West.
Forbidden West just felt right as a sequel.  It still looks fantastic; and I played the game on a base PS4.  They spent a lot of time on generating the side quests.  They balanced the game to revamp the combat.  Not in a way I agree with, but I can't say they didn't sit down and think about it.  They also told just enough story.
I'm sure if I played Forbidden West straight without trying to craft armour and stuff, since I was getting my dog handed to me, I probably would have finished it faster than God of War, but I was more satisfied with Forbidden West.  On the flip side, I finished God of War and I didn't finish Forbidden West, so Santa Monica did something right.
You haven't finished it? Which part did you make it to?

I liked the combat in both GOWs a lot but I see what you're saying.