How confident are you in your memory?

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 07, 2019, 12:57 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Most people seem really confident in their memories.  This is strange to me.  People forget most of what happens, and the brain actively changes memories.  So even the stuff you do remember isn't 100% accurate.  

I tend to go the opposite way, I probably worry too much that my memories might not be correct.  And  have ever since I was probably 8.  

Xevross

My memory is kind of weird. I barely ever remember stuff without being prompted in some way (that used to annoy my Mum so much), but if I am prompted I can usually remember stuff in great detail. And that includes remembering what I don't quite remember and what I'm not sure on.

Brains are weird, we can create and edit memories by thinking about a certain scenario too much until our brain believes it happened. If something seems weird you should question it, and that goes for everything in life anyway.

Dr. Pezus

Not too confident lol. I feel like it gets worse when you become an adult but that might have something to do with having to remember much more information. My memory was spot on as a kid, and I could remember almost anything for an exam for example, even remember how the page looked which said something about the answer to a question.

But yeah, now I can't do that obviously except in rare cases where I don't have to remember too much information

kitler53

i have a very good memory.  at work people specifically come to me because of that feature.  i'm not sure why but i can remember with great detail conversations and technical details about decisions made years ago.  it is very useful when trying to untangle feature requirements and "patched code" when something is unintentionally broken (if it isn't clear i work in software).

so yeah, i'm very confident in my memory.  it's probably the best thing about me.  

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

Depends on the memory. In general I have good memory but I'm aware when I might not remember something correctly.

SWORDF1SH

My memory is shame and it annoys me. Memory is key to being smart so I guess I'm iced...
what was the question again?

Legend

I was reminiscing about old memories and one of the things that came to mind was my uncle fixing my bike tires so they couldn't deflate from goat heads. We were looking through a photo album today and sure enough I remembered that moment exactly even though I was ~5.

ethomaz

Mar 20, 2019, 11:26 AM Last Edit: Mar 20, 2019, 11:34 AM by ethomaz
HMind works fines... I have a fun games on travels that I used to do.

1. On highways stay focused on the way itself.
2. When a board transit pass on the sides don't look at it just stay with your vision on the way.
3. Close the eyes and try to remember and read the board.

I could read it in my memory even after hours or more... I found interesting at child because I did not read the board in the real life but only the one in my memory... of course if I read it I can remember what is written for undetermined time because words are easy to remember than images.

I guess I have good memory I can remember basically everything even conversation with high details years after happened.

Of course things that mark you are easy to remember while cotidians not but if you ask what I eat on breakfast in the last days I could detail everything for one or two weeks or even more... O can even detail if I opened the refrigerator, what chain I sit down on the table, etc.

Ohhhh forums if I read something and I was asked in the future about the same subject I will in most cases remember where I read it (the forum) it is just I don't like to dig posts to find the exactly post unless it is really important kkkkkkk

PS. I can remember every single dress my wife even used with me... if it is a dress she used few times I can say when and where she used... the issue start when is a dress she uses a lot because it start to merge and I can't accurate say when and where she used (when is hard than where to remember).

the-pi-guy

I have pretty good memory.
But I am close to paranoid about my memory being mistaken.

ethomaz

I have pretty good memory.
But I am close to paranoid about my memory being mistaken.
Believe in yourself bro ;)