PC Community Thread

Started by the-pi-guy, Jul 31, 2014, 02:28 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

FLGibsonIII

Hmm... you bring up some good points! Maybe they should all get 33.3%? IDK. I just don't think sitting on the ip is worth 45%(most) of the revenue. They already got their sale from the game. One could argue it's 100% the modders labor that's on sale. One could also argue the modder couldn't sell it without the game exisiting. One could argue this is only possible through steam invention of the program. I think all getting 33.3% sounds very fair. Also on the 25% is better than 0 thing. The same could be said for bethesda since they couldn't profit from this before. If my previous comment or this one sounds too aggressive I apologize since that is not my intention.
All aboard the hype train.

FLGibsonIII

Also Legend. What do you think would be a good first coding language to learn? I want to self teach myself. I'm thinking python.

Mmm_fish_tacos

Also Legend. What do you think would be a good first coding language to learn? I want to self teach myself. I'm thinking python.

Do you want to jump right in to coding?

FLGibsonIII

Do you want to jump right in to coding?

I already took a computer programming class this year using visual basic(which I hear is useless). What do you mean by that exactly. I was just thinking of buying a book like "learning python the hard way" to learn from.

the-pi-guy

Java or python is good. 

FLGibsonIII

Java or python is good.

That's what I hear a lot. I'm going to have to decide on one of them.

the-pi-guy

That's what I hear a lot. I'm going to have to decide on one of them.

What's your goal?

FLGibsonIII

What's your goal?

I have been thinking about that. I always wanted to create a game or a website. I think I really just want to learn something new and apply myself in new areas.I think if I liked coding enough I would start to create a game(probably nothing profressional, but just my own side-project). That would probably require languages like C++ though. For now I just want to learn something that's good for beginners and to see if I really like coding.

Mmm_fish_tacos

I already took a computer programming class this year using visual basic(which I hear is useless). What do you mean by that exactly. I was just thinking of buying a book like "learning python the hard way" to learn from.

Well there's other ways to express your creativity with out jumping straight to the hard stuff. 3d modeling or learning to us unity unity, which you'll also learn code along the way.

Legend

Hmm... you bring up some good points! Maybe they should all get 33.3%? IDK. I just don't think sitting on the ip is worth 45%(most) of the revenue. They already got their sale from the game. One could argue it's 100% the modders labor that's on sale. One could also argue the modder couldn't sell it without the game exisiting. One could argue this is only possible through steam invention of the program. I think all getting 33.3% sounds very fair. Also on the 25% is better than 0 thing. The same could be said for bethesda since they couldn't profit from this before. If my previous comment or this one sounds too aggressive I apologize since that is not my intention.

Yeah 33.3% would probably have been best simply because it's an even split. Gets rid of most of the debate.

Oh and no worry! I think of everyone on this forum as friends, so the thought hadn't even crossed my mind that you were too aggressive.

Python is good. It's simple yet powerful enough to give you a full taste of programming. In fact at 19 it was the first full programing language I learned.

Tangent time haha.

When I was 6 or so for take your kid to work day I'd visit my Aunt at her office. She'd teach me basic basic programming. I think it was just HTML. Then in middle/high school I was bored during class so using trial and error I taught myself how to program my calculator. The only other programming I tried was a simple/horrible website for my dad's company.

I went to college for mechanical engineering. In my second semester I didn't have enough credits so I signed up for a programming class, just for the heck of it. I fell madly in love with it. This coincided with the PS4 reveal. Seeing John Blow up on stage inspired me to become an indie dev so I spent the rest of the semester madly self teaching myself programing. Come summer I dropped out of school and changed my life's course to be an indie dev instead of a mechanical engineer. This game better pay off haha.

My final for that class was a program that would produce modern art with a random seed:

FLGibsonIII

Well there's other ways to express your creativity with out jumping straight to the hard stuff. 3d modeling or learning to us unity unity, which you'll also learn code along the way.

What programs should I get to do 3d modeling. Unity the game engine right? Isn't that a free download now?

FLGibsonIII

That's a really cool story. Hopefully the game pays off. I think Python will be my first language. I might do that after the stuff taco recommended though.

Mmm_fish_tacos

What programs should I get to do 3d modeling. Unity the game engine right? Isn't that a free download now?

Yeah, unity 5 and blender for modeling.. Which is now on steam. Both are free.

Legend

Yeah, unity 5 and blender for modeling.. Which is now on steam. Both are free.

Wait which is on steam?

That's a really cool story. Hopefully the game pays off. I think Python will be my first language. I might do that after the stuff taco recommended though.

Yeah if you're wanting to do Unity, then learn C#. Unity supports Java too, but it's being phased out.

Go Up