PC Community Thread

Started by the-pi-guy, Jul 31, 2014, 02:28 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Mmm_fish_tacos

My laptop's hard drive is only 750GB which filled up fast with all the work I do. I've been using an external 1TB hard drive to augment it.

For this new PC I'll be moving over the external 1TB hard drive and making it internal so that I have 3TBs of hard drive space, which should last me at least until VizionEck releases hahaha.

Well then I got nothing. But thats not bad for what your building.

the-pi-guy

I'm needing a new work PC.

CPU is most important for me, as well as SSD and what nots that make programs and applications run faster. Having a good GPU would be nice but it's not too important to me.

Here's just my general thoughts right now: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9PCHQ7

Now to go through and trim the fat!!!

CPU stays, but what else can I cut corners on or find better deals to bring down the price? I feel investing in a good PSU is important since this computer will be on 20 hours a day. All savings from efficiency are worth it. Case wise it just needs to be functional. Don't have any care about looks.
Do care about sound though. Anything to make it silenter is worth investing in imo.
You guys have any input?

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Caviar-Green-Desktop/dp/B004RORMF6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422479082&sr=8-1&keywords=3+tb+hdd
I'd get this hard drive. 

Would you be able to skip the GPU for a while at least?  The CPU has an integrated GPU, not great, but it does okay. 
Otherwise you could look into getting the GTX 960.
I've got the same case.    :D

Legend

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Caviar-Green-Desktop/dp/B004RORMF6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422479082&sr=8-1&keywords=3+tb+hdd
I'd get this hard drive. 

Would you be able to skip the GPU for a while at least?  The CPU has an integrated GPU, not great, but it does okay. 
Otherwise you could look into getting the GTX 960.
I've got the same case.    :D

Nice hard drive find!

What would be the advantage of skipping the GPU for a while? Are prices expected to significantly drop soon? Yeah a 960 would be a pretty viable option.

How do you like the case? Are the fans too fast and loud by default? Can they be controlled? Any issues fitting your 970 in it? Which 970 do you have?

the-pi-guy

Nice hard drive find!
What would be the advantage of skipping the GPU for a while? Are prices expected to significantly drop soon? Yeah a 960 would be a pretty viable option.

How do you like the case? Are the fans too fast and loud by default? Can they be controlled? Any issues fitting your 970 in it? Which 970 do you have?

I actually got that same HDD too. 
Not really a real advantage, just cuts the start up costs.  Which was beneficial in my case, but probably not as much in yours.  I'm not expecting any big price drops soon. 
The case is nice.  Fans are pretty quiet. I actually stopped them, and didn't find any different in sound. 
My only complaint is the size of the case.  It's a mid-tower, not a full one.  Which can make it a little cramped when installing the motherboard, but once that is in, it is good. 
As for the GPU, it's kind of the same deal.  I think it has something like 10.5" of clearance for a GPU.  Which is an issue for the 970/980 tier.  The bays are riveted in so its not easy to take them off for more clearance. 
I have the EVGA GTX 970 FTW, fits super well though.  There are some itx cards too.  This is mine. 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487077&cm_re=gtx_970_ftw-_-14-487-077-_-Product

the-pi-guy

CPU - you said keep it. 
Motherboard - probably cheaper options, but quality would be questionable.   
RAM - probably your cheapest option. 
SSD - you said keep it
HDD - 99$ 3 TB.  Keep it!
Video Card - I recommend the 970, but if cost is an issue the 960 or even the 750 TI ought to be good depending on your needs. 
Case - cheaper options are available, will probably lose the amount of included fans though. 
Power Supply   - recommend not going cheap on this part.  Probably the sweet spot for price/reliability.
Optical Drive - can you take one off a different computer?

Legend

Jan 29, 2015, 12:31 AM Last Edit: Jan 29, 2015, 01:10 AM by Legend

CPU - you said keep it. 
Motherboard - probably cheaper options, but quality would be questionable.   
RAM - probably your cheapest option. 
SSD - you said keep it
HDD - 99$ 3 TB.  Keep it!
Video Card - I recommend the 970, but if cost is an issue the 960 or even the 750 TI ought to be good depending on your needs. 
Case - cheaper options are available, will probably lose the amount of included fans though. 
Power Supply   - recommend not going cheap on this part.  Probably the sweet spot for price/reliability.
Optical Drive - can you take one off a different computer?

Yeah the CPU I can get at my local microcenter for only $280 so it's a great deal too.

Motherboard could probably be cheaper yeah. I found one for $40 lol.

RAM-Neverdies is either crazy or crazy lucky. I was telling him about my ram and he called it "really overpriced." Apparently 2 years ago when he made his PC 8GB of similar quality ram was only $45.

SSD-I can go for another one, probably smaller too. I just need a SSD in general and this one seems pretty good.

HDD-YES!

Video Card-I'm thinking 970. It can be the part of the system that I splurge on for personal reasons :)

Case-yeah

PS-agreed

OD-I throw out all my old computers and such. Hording runs in my family so I try to avoid it any way possible.

I'm feeling pretty good about it overall though. Got the price down considerably compared to where I started.

the-pi-guy

Yeah the CPU I can get at my local microcenter for only $280 so it's a great deal too.
Motherboard could probably be cheaper yeah. I found one for $40 lol.
RAM-Neverdies is either crazy or crazy lucky. I was telling him about my ram and he called it "really overpriced." Apparently 2 years ago when he made his PC 8GB of similar quality ram was only $45.
SSD-I can go for another one, probably smaller too. I just need a SSD in general and this one seems pretty good.
HDD-YES!
Video Card-I'm thinking 970. It can be the part of the system that I splurge on for personal reasons :)
Case-yeah
PS-agreed
OD-I throw out all my old computers and such. Hording runs in my family so I try to avoid it any way possible.

I'm feeling pretty good about it overall though. Got the price down considerably compared to where I started.

CPU- Sweet!
RAM - Yeah, RAM seems to have gone up.   About 2.5 years ago I had written down 32 GB of RAM for 160$.  Which is about the same price range. 
OD - Hoarding runs in my family too.  Unfortunately I hoard as well.  :( 
Not as bad as my grandpa did though.  He was a master hoarder.  It was unlike anything I've ever seen.  100% serious too. 

the-pi-guy

Downloading Ryse. 
Xbox 1 exclusive!  ;)

Legend

Picked up the CPU from MicroCenter.

While I was there I tried out the nvidea shield. It just felt poor.

PC to Vita streaming would be much much nicer.

Riderz1337

Tried looking up some builds for a PC

I went to pcpartpicker and it is so intimidating because theres hundreds of builds around the same price and I have no idea which one would be the best

I know now I will need at least one thousand two hundred dollars canadian to build a good PC sorry for not using numbers my keyboard is so iced up right now

I want to make one that is a little big future proof as im sure i can get one now for like seven hundred or eight but i want it to last for a while plus i want to play all the latest games on high settings sixty fps

I guess Ill wait till next holiday probably by then they will have a ton of price drops because right now twelve hundred is a bit much and it sucks that the canadian dollar is messed up in comparison to the american dollar everything is so much more expensive now
Legend made me remove this. Everybody riot.

Mmm_fish_tacos

I went to pcpartpicker and it is so intimidating because theres hundreds of builds around the same price and I have no idea which one would be the best

I know now I will need at least one thousand two hundred dollars canadian to build a good PC sorry for not using numbers my keyboard is so iced up right now

I want to make one that is a little big future proof as im sure i can get one now for like seven hundred or eight but i want it to last for a while plus i want to play all the latest games on high settings sixty fps

I guess Ill wait till next holiday probably by then they will have a ton of price drops because right now twelve hundred is a bit much and it sucks that the canadian dollar is messed up in comparison to the american dollar everything is so much more expensive now

You could alway buy a part at a time.

Legend

You could probably get that under 1,000 canadian. That'd be like $800 us right?

Legend

the-pi-guy

Ryse is fun, has some issues though. 

Go Up