Programming Thread

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 13, 2016, 10:39 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

I guess a more a more updated/accurate answer here would be:
Graphics: using the SDL library to work with OpenGL.  

But I still think everything else will be pretty from scratch.  

SDL is a lot better than GLUT, which is super outdated.  

Edit: ive made more progress in half an hour with SDL than I did over a day with GLUT
Sounds like switching was a good idea  ;D

darkknightkryta

Aug 23, 2019, 02:45 PM Last Edit: Aug 23, 2019, 02:47 PM by darkknightkryta
Sometimes I really hate setting stuff up. 

Like installing a program, API, library, etc. Is just way too much trouble sometimes.  That I'd rather try using what I already have set up instead sometimes.

I was looking at getting MinGW working on VIsual Studios Code, and I honest to god want to slap people.

I guess a more a more updated/accurate answer here would be:
Graphics: using the SDL library to work with OpenGL. 

But I still think everything else will be pretty from scratch. 

SDL is a lot better than GLUT, which is super outdated. 

Edit: ive made more progress in half an hour with SDL than I did over a day with GLUT
I remember having a conversation with a coworker at EB Games.  This had to have been close to 10 years ago.  "It's not good, but gets the job done" he said.  Sad tools haven't gotten super better than that.  I mean, SDL itself is pretty old and outdated, yet there's not much super better (Other than like Unity)

the-pi-guy

So SDL, GLUT, freeGLUT, GLFW, etc are mainly used to handle input and to manage a window.

Glew, Gl3w, Glad, etc are used to actually load the GL functions.

the-pi-guy

Aug 30, 2019, 03:13 AM Last Edit: Aug 30, 2019, 03:18 AM by the-pi-guy
Even though it doesn't go with my game... I want to make a globe instead of a flat world. 

Not sure how I want to make it work though. 

Idea I have in mind right now is basically a layered height map where it'll basically be correlated to somewhere on the sphere instead of a plane.

------

Haven't been working on it much, but so far it's starting to look a lot like my projects in my graphics course.  Which is awesome when something new starts clicking. 

Legend

Even though it doesn't go with my game... I want to make a globe instead of a flat world.  

Not sure how I want to make it work though.  

Idea I have in mind right now is basically a layered height map where it'll basically be correlated to somewhere on the sphere instead of a plane.

------

Haven't been working on it much, but so far it's starting to look a lot like my projects in my graphics course.  Which is awesome when something new starts clicking.  
Are you wanting the whole world traversable? That's a lot of work if players won't even notice haha.

Could fake it by having a flat world that is visually deformed during rendering.

the-pi-guy

Are you wanting the whole world traversable? That's a lot of work if players won't even notice haha.

Could fake it by having a flat world that is visually deformed during rendering.
No, with this particular project it's pretty much the furthest thing from what I want to do.  

But it is something I want to do at some point.

the-pi-guy

Been spending the past two days debugging my initializing function.  

Making progress, pretty exciting.  But nothing happening quite yet.

the-pi-guy

Been spending the past two days debugging my initializing function.  

Making progress, pretty exciting.  But nothing happening quite yet.
Now I'm getting pretty frustrated.  

I know I'm getting close, but something is still not working the way it is intended.  Everything with the window itself is good.  But for some reason the vertices won't get drawn or they're out of the picture.

the-pi-guy

I know the context is working, just have to figure out the answer to these questions:

- buffers getting set up correctly?  
- is the triangle actually in view?

It's probably some small error, somewhere.  

Legend

I know the context is working, just have to figure out the answer to these questions:

- buffers getting set up correctly?  
- is the triangle actually in view?

It's probably some small error, somewhere.  
Have you tried skipping a buffer and hardcoding the triangle location, just to make sure the rest is working?

the-pi-guy

Have you tried skipping a buffer and hardcoding the triangle location, just to make sure the rest is working?
Not yet, I'm being lazy. :(

the-pi-guy

Sep 07, 2019, 04:52 PM Last Edit: Sep 07, 2019, 05:08 PM by the-pi-guy
So it looks like the buffer isn't being set up properly. 

Glad to know where the problem is. 

Although I'm getting a weird thing, after I changed something.  The graphics are showing up as intended, but now the program is giving me an error code. 

Edit:
For some reason it works when the glprogram fails to link, but it doesn't work when the glprogram succeeds linking... 

the-pi-guy

Im just frustrated how long this is taking.  

I'm not finding any good simple example code, but my code looks right based off the opengl programming I've done before and the portions of examples I have been able to find.

The only good examples I've found are incredibly outdated.  Using a library that shouldn't be used anymore.  

Legend

Im just frustrated how long this is taking.  

I'm not finding any good simple example code, but my code looks right based off the opengl programming I've done before and the portions of examples I have been able to find.

The only good examples I've found are incredibly outdated.  Using a library that shouldn't be used anymore.  
Have you narrowed your issues down to a specific problem at least?

the-pi-guy

Have you narrowed your issues down to a specific problem at least?
I have narrowed it down to 2 possible spots.  

Go Up