Which was the relatively worse system: PS3 or Xbox One?

Started by Legend, Apr 13, 2018, 03:00 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Don't just run in and say Xbox One. Obviously most of us would think PS3 was better than it, but this thread is in comparison to the generation before. Was PS2 to PS3 worse or was 360 to XB1 worse?

Feel free to answer from your perspective and from the company's perspective.

the-pi-guy

Worse how?

In general or graphically or?

I think I know what you mean, but I would like clarification.

Legend

Worse how?

In general or graphically or?

I think I know what you mean, but I would like clarification.
Well everything but graphics.  :P

Money made for the company, public image, target market, quality of games, etc.

Essentially which generation knocked the company back the farthest compared to their former glory.

the-pi-guy

That's what I thought.  

As I was going to say PS3.  
Xbox One, the console didn't really ruin MS.  It's a decent console and MS made some bad decisions.  PS3 practically actively hurt Sony.  It was expensive and developers had a hard time with it.  

PS3 hurt Sony so badly that MS went from being way behind to being competitive.  

Kerotan

Well ps3 sold half of the PS2 but xbox one iced up Microsofts legit chance at staying near the top table. Both massive fudge ups but Sony had an epic recovery. I doubt Microsoft will do the same.

Dr. Pezus

If you look at the gens as a whole I'd say XB1 is worse, unless something changes.

It's true that PS3 launch was a nightmare and sony had to work really hard to turn it around. They did though and managed to turn it into a minor success in the end, by releasing a great game after game for example.

Microsoft is looking at just over half the sales of its previous console as well now but the difference is that they don't seem to be trying as much. Canceling games, closing studios etc so that they're now effectively only making gears, forza, halo besides the occasional lackluster other game.
It's also bad that this happened in the generation after the PS3 gen, which they should've learned from (for example price-wise)

darkknightkryta

Depends how you look at things.  Sony learned their lessons and beefed up their first party (Which was always strong to begin with).  Microsoft didn't learn their lesson and killed all their studios.

Legend

If you look at the gens as a whole I'd say XB1 is worse, unless something changes.

It's true that PS3 launch was a nightmare and sony had to work really hard to turn it around. They did though and managed to turn it into a minor success in the end, by releasing a great game after game for example.

Microsoft is looking at just over half the sales of its previous console as well now but the difference is that they don't seem to be trying as much. Canceling games, closing studios etc so that they're now effectively only making gears, forza, halo besides the occasional lackluster other game.
It's also bad that this happened in the generation after the PS3 gen, which they should've learned from (for example price-wise)

That's a good point about MS not doing as much to rebound. PS3 started very bad for Sony but around 2009 with Uncharted 2 it started to gain back public opinion.

XB1 has instead just swapped one issue for another. Have horrible DRM, ok fix that. Launch with mandatory kinect and a focus on TV, ok get rid of it. Oh but now Xbox is bad hardware compared to PS4. Fix that with S and X, but now the lack of first party games is a big issue.

BC is about the only big thing putting XB1 in a stronger position today than at the start of the gen.

Dr. Pezus

That's a good point about MS not doing as much to rebound. PS3 started very bad for Sony but around 2009 with Uncharted 2 it started to gain back public opinion.

XB1 has instead just swapped one issue for another. Have horrible DRM, ok fix that. Launch with mandatory kinect and a focus on TV, ok get rid of it. Oh but now Xbox is bad hardware compared to PS4. Fix that with S and X, but now the lack of first party games is a big issue.

BC is about the only big thing putting XB1 in a stronger position today than at the start of the gen.
Yeah. It really seems like Phil is just saying what fans want to hear while the company puts less and less emphasis on xbox