Disney is having a bad year at the box office

Started by Legend, May 28, 2023, 02:35 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

Guardians of the Galaxy 3 might end up being their only movie this year that does good.

Ant man flopped, Little Mermaid flopped outside of America, Indiana Jones has bad reviews, and Elemental has bad reviews.

Haunted Mansion, the Marvels, and Wish are Disney's only hope of turning the year around.

Legend

2022 was disastrous as well. Avatar 2 was a huge success and Marvel stuff did ok, but Strange World is the biggest flop in box office history. It lost $197 million.

Lightyear was also a huge flop, losing ~$110 million.

Hopefully with the pandemic behind us Disney can turn things around. I think Disney+ has been a large part of the problem too.

kitler53

maybe Disney should look to Nintendo for how to make a terrible movie and profit anyways...

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

maybe Disney should look to Nintendo for how to make a terrible movie and profit anyways...
Universal made Mario for $100 million. It would have made a huge profit even if only sold half as many tickets.

Meanwhile The Little Mermaid cost $250 million to make and Elemental cost $200 million to make. If Disney is going to make bad movies, they at least need to make them cheaper.

BananaKing

Its not that their movies just suck, its that they are also showing their identity politics into their movies (which is one of the reasons they suck) and people don't like that.

kitler53

ah yes, the identity politics of not erasing the existence of gay and black people from media....

... republicans are just horrible people that can't stand other people existing hence ron and is obvious attempt to take over Disney.

BananaKing

ah yes, the identity politics of not erasing the existence of gay and black people from media....

... republicans are just horrible people that can't stand other people existing hence ron and is obvious attempt to take over Disney.
Sometimes I just don't understand you Americans. The left swears the right is evil, and the right says the same thing about the left  

Im honestly curious, do you really think all republicans all horrible people?

And when a lot of people say they didn't watch these movies or let their kids watch them because of identity politics, its just people sharing their experiences and what happened with them. And its pointing to a big issue Disney might be facing, which is parents not trusting the brand.

the-pi-guy

You sure have the delicate touch.  

Sometimes I just don't understand you Americans. The left swears the right is evil, and the right says the same thing about the left  
The right in states like Florida are actively erasing intersex and trans people; and censoring black history. They're also killing pregnant mothers with nonviable pregnancies due to their overly strict abortion laws.

Im honestly curious, do you really think all republicans all horrible people?
Personally, I think they're generally misinformed.

Or in a lot of cases, they're hypocritical. They have no problem with certain groups of people being disrespected, while they demand respect for themselves.
A lot of them are on welfare themselves, while they actively cut welfare for others.

There are plenty of stories of pro-life conservatives getting abortions because their circumstances made it justifiable for them.  

And when a lot of people say they didn't watch these movies or let their kids watch them because of identity politics, its just people sharing their experiences and what happened with them. And its pointing to a big issue Disney might be facing, which is parents not trusting the brand.
Parents not trusting the brand doesn't mean it is founded in good reasoning

Legend

May 29, 2023, 06:49 AM Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 06:53 AM by Legend
Politics are related but let's please keep this thread on topic and focused on the box office.

Its not that their movies just suck, its that they are also showing their identity politics into their movies (which is one of the reasons they suck) and people don't like that.
Different people have different metrics for what counts as identity politics. If you're talking about things like the gay kiss in Lightyear for example, then I strongly disagree. That movie sucked for so many reasons and a quick kiss was not one of them.

It's not really identity politics imo but if you're talking about the general tone and theme of their stories then sure I agree. Lightyear's big moral message was that Buzz was too ambitious and he needed to accept things as they were. It was really stupid since the whole point of Toy Story 1 was that Buzz was capable of greatness despite being a toy.

Also it seems like 100 year anniversaries in the film industry are cursed. 2023 is Disney's 100th and 2020 was AMC's 100th.

kitler53

May 29, 2023, 01:12 PM Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 01:15 PM by kitler53
sorry to have derailed the thread I guess but then maybe not.  I'm just sharing my experiences as they say.

I grew up in a conservative household and it was one of violence and hate speech. 

my my dad says things like "it was unnecessary and inappropriate for strange world to show homosexuality" it's burns because:
1. obviously he never found it "unnecessary or inappropriate" when other Disney films showed heterosexuality: beauty and the beast, lion king, little mermaid, Rapunzel, Robin hood, frozen, to name just a couple
2. my dad says things like gay people should stop asking for marriage equality or American will start executing them "like every other country".

so do I think every republican is evil?   probably not every voter but I was forced to work on several republican campaigns by my dad.  I met the people motivated enough to work to elect republicans back in the 90s and they were all horrible. the hate speech was rampant.  it's the formative experience that turned me to the left.

I wouldn't say Disney's latest movie have been amazing but I can also see that it might not have mattered if they were.  desantis is attacking Disney only because he thinks it is a winning idea.  he's doing it because he wants see that right rage is there just like what happened to bud.

...and they f'ing claim to hate cancel culture.

BananaKing

Politics are related but let's please keep this thread on topic and focused on the box office.

Different people have different metrics for what counts as identity politics. If you're talking about things like the gay kiss in Lightyear for example, then I strongly disagree. That movie sucked for so many reasons and a quick kiss was not one of them.

It's not really identity politics imo but if you're talking about the general tone and theme of their stories then sure I agree. Lightyear's big moral message was that Buzz was too ambitious and he needed to accept things as they were. It was really stupid since the whole point of Toy Story 1 was that Buzz was capable of greatness despite being a toy.

Also it seems like 100 year anniversaries in the film industry are cursed. 2023 is Disney's 100th and 2020 was AMC's 100th.
Im just including all the left wing ideology in these movies specially Desiny movies. Lets not act like there isn't an ideology push, because there is. And that's what people are sick of, and extremely warry of when it comes to what shows/movies to expose their children too.

And this issue is much bigger in other parts of the world, specially in Asia, Middle East and Africa.

People wonder why these movies bombed so hard, and when a lot of people come out and say why they didn't watch it.  their reasons are ignored.

This isn't the only reason why these movies  bombed.  The movie sucking is a big reason of the failure of course. But there is a loud enough feedback that politics is one of the reasons why.

Legend

Im just including all the left wing ideology in these movies specially Desiny movies. Lets not act like there isn't an ideology push, because there is. And that's what people are sick of, and extremely warry of when it comes to what shows/movies to expose their children too.

And this issue is much bigger in other parts of the world, specially in Asia, Middle East and Africa.

People wonder why these movies bombed so hard, and when a lot of people come out and say why they didn't watch it.  their reasons are ignored.

This isn't the only reason why these movies  bombed.  The movie sucking is a big reason of the failure of course. But there is a loud enough feedback that politics is one of the reasons why.
In general it looks that way, but there are big outliers like Wakanda Forever. That movie lacked Chadwick Boseman and had a big focus on politcs yet still made $850 million.

Wakanda Forever wasn't good imo but most people liked it.

kitler53

who is ignoring the reasons.  I feel like I'm quite loudly acknowledging the reasons.  

but if making movies that acknowledge the truth the the LGBT community exists is "left wing ideology" don't forget that excluding their existence especially on the grounds that LGBT is "inappropriate for children" is "right wing ideology" and I for one am sick of it. 

Horizon

The issue is Disney+ period. They've devalued their films except for the really big ones. I went to see Guardians 3 and it was awesome but other Disney films did not move the needle for me to see it. Race, politics etc might have a minuscule difference but Disney+ is the issue.

kitler53

i want to know this,.. how is Disney plus still losing money.  there is hardly any content in the service and the number of subscribers is pretty high thanks to children. 

Go Up