How often do you do house work/construction?

Started by Legend, Nov 20, 2022, 05:02 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

I've been busy as of late working on outside steps and a retaining wall. What do yall ever work on?

kitler53

Nov 20, 2022, 05:37 PM Last Edit: Nov 20, 2022, 05:41 PM by kitler53
all the time.  I consider it a hobby.  I also bought a home that was a bit of a fixer upper so I pay people to do big projects but I'm taking on a few personal projects a year.

projects past and present:

professional:
gutted and re-arcitected the kitchen
gutted and re-arcitected the entire 2nd floor

personal:
painted several rooms
gutted and in progress of rebuilding a closet
refinished a different closet with organizers (kitchen area)
build built-in closet organizers for all 3 2nd floor bedroom after the remodel
I lumberjacked 2 trees
I demo'd my basement to get ready for an eventual remodel.
I removed 2x areas (~30' x 8' x 36") of hard clay and replaced it with better soil so get rid of water issues in my yard.
I built 3x 4"x8" raised bed garden boxes with removable rabbit fences
I built a double composing box thing.
I built a  trellis for my raspberry garden I built.
I"m in progress of rebuilding the retaining walled garden.
I built myself a work desk after covid made WFH a 100% thing for me.

that's the big projects at least. I've been mostly busy in the garden area these days but my planning is turning to the basement remodel and making custom built in cabinets around the fireplace I want to refinish. I aslo feed to pay someone to rebuild the top of my chimney and rebuild the front stoop.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Before buying a house: never.

After buying a house: a couple times a year.

This year we redid most of the floor upstairs. I'm actually mostly proud of the floor we put in my son's room. Aside from one corner, the floor is really really nice. Huge improvement over what was there before.

Legend

all the time.  I consider it a hobby.  I also bought a home that was a bit of a fixer upper so I pay people to do big projects but I'm taking on a few personal projects a year.

projects past and present:

professional:
gutted and re-arcitected the kitchen
gutted and re-arcitected the entire 2nd floor

personal:
painted several rooms
gutted and in progress of rebuilding a closet
refinished a different closet with organizers (kitchen area)
build built-in closet organizers for all 3 2nd floor bedroom after the remodel
I lumberjacked 2 trees
I demo'd my basement to get ready for an eventual remodel.
I removed 2x areas (~30' x 8' x 36") of hard clay and replaced it with better soil so get rid of water issues in my yard.
I built 3x 4"x8" raised bed garden boxes with removable rabbit fences
I built a double composing box thing.
I built a  trellis for my raspberry garden I built.
I"m in progress of rebuilding the retaining walled garden.
I built myself a work desk after covid made WFH a 100% thing for me.

that's the big projects at least. I've been mostly busy in the garden area these days but my planning is turning to the basement remodel and making custom built in cabinets around the fireplace I want to refinish. I aslo feed to pay someone to rebuild the top of my chimney and rebuild the front stoop.
I'm not sure what I'm doing with my 7x10 garden bed. Has been great for years but a tree of mine is finally tall enough to block some sun light. I prefer the tree so I might use it just for strawberries next year.

kitler53

I'm not sure what I'm doing with my 7x10 garden bed. Has been great for years but a tree of mine is finally tall enough to block some sun light. I prefer the tree so I might use it just for strawberries next year.
strawberries love sun.  you need lots to get big fruit at least. 

if you want food you'd have better luck with the greens. lettuce. spinage. rhubarb. broccoli. things like that.  fruit is needy. 

otherwise there are tons of flowers or ornamental plants that can do well. 

Legend

strawberries love sun.  you need lots to get big fruit at least.

if you want food you'd have better luck with the greens. lettuce. spinage. rhubarb. broccoli. things like that.  fruit is needy.

otherwise there are tons of flowers or ornamental plants that can do well.
The strawberries grew like weeds this year, making tons of fruit before the tree's leaves even came in. I'm just planning to provide water and let them do their thing.

Will probably grow some tomatoes and peppers in pots. Never tried growing lettuce, spinage, or broccoli, but I have a random rhubarb plant from the 70s that's somehow going strong.

kitler53

The strawberries grew like weeds this year, making tons of fruit before the tree's leaves even came in. I'm just planning to provide water and let them do their thing.

Will probably grow some tomatoes and peppers in pots. Never tried growing lettuce, spinage, or broccoli, but I have a random rhubarb plant from the 70s that's somehow going strong.
Rhubarb is a hardy plant.  Part of what i like about it,.. doesn't need any maintenance.  Plus stawberry rhubarb crisp is great!