Durability issues in controllers....

Started by kitler53, Nov 07, 2022, 01:39 PM

previous topic - next topic

kitler53

...or are you just a prick?

personally,.. I've been gaming since the commadore 64.  10 consoles in all.  at least 2 controllers each.  I've never had a "bad controller".  

yet my often mentioned coop buddy has had tons of issues.  I think 4 "broken" PS4 controllers and he's now complaining about his first broken PS5 controller.  

bad luck?  ..or is it just him?   

I have a hard time believing our luck is so different.  online most complainers talk about numerous broken controller.  I had a friend in college that complained of the shame build quality on wavebirds but that dog would also smash the controller on the floor everytime we kicked his dog in smash. 

..I think build quality is fine.  "you" just have anger issues.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

I've had a few bad controllers.

An N64 controller that was a cheap third party one. That one had a few issues with the stick. The character would run in constant circles, even when the controller wasn't being touched.

I think my PS3 controllers had issues but they were pretty old at that point, and none of the issues were stopping them from being used.

One of my DS4 controllers was having issues around the time I got my PS5.
Seemed like it was running through batteries in like 15 minutes. But it was also like 7 years old at that point with lots of use.

I haven't had the drift issues with modern controllers that people complain about.

I'm guessing anger, or at the very least inconsiderate (throwing a controller on the couch/bed, instead of setting it down).

Legend

Wavebirds were great!

I've only ever had two issues. R2 on my first DS4 broke, and my left joycon started drifting. Bought a new ds4 and Nintendo fixed the joycon.

My brother has hyperhidrosis and plays games a lot more yet even he hasn't had that many issues with controllers breaking.

kitler53

Wavebirds were great!

I've only ever had two issues. R2 on my first DS4 broke, and my left joycon started drifting. Bought a new ds4 and Nintendo fixed the joycon.

My brother has hyperhidrosis and plays games a lot more yet even he hasn't had that many issues with controllers breaking.
i feel like sweating or dust isn't the issue most of the time.  it's "karate chopping" the analog stick with your finger instead of just moving it to the position.  i say this mostly because "drift" seems to be the predominate issue across all consoles but like,.. there is only so much any physical machine can take.  everything breaks eventually but being rough,.. it just makes sense it would break faster. 

i feel like there is probably a genre bias at play too.  i play a lot of puzzle games.  i can't think of one puzzle game that required fast input so that probably means "gentler play".   i'll bet i'd wear my controllers out faster if i was a CoD guy.  but all the same i think things are mostly a "personal problem".   like,.. another thing i just thought of is how annoyed i've gotten playing couch-coop with certain players.   certain players create a lot of "clicking" noises as they play that others do not as they quickly/roughly mash their buttons.

i played a lot of smash in college.  that is dominating my observations but jesus christ was that one guy that wrecked his wavebirds was loud.   it like he thought the game would be more responsive if he smashed the button harder and more often.    honestly,.. it's the main reason he sucked and always lost.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

darkknightkryta

I've noticed issues with Nintendo controllers.  N64 controller analog sticks are bad.  Gamecube analog sticks are bad.  They just don't hold up to wear and tear.  Playstation controllers have lasted me, until the dualshock 4.  I had to change the analog stick since the rubber ripped.  I had a third party A Power controller for my switch.  The analog stick died.  They replaced it.  My blue Joycon had the drift.  Nintendo repaired it, but I think it might still have drift issues.  But then again I haven't touched my Switch much after Metroid.