Gaming Acquisition |OT| Tencent acquires Lucid Games

Started by the-pi-guy, Oct 01, 2022, 06:54 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

I kind of want the Activision deal to go through. Really would want to see Sony get pushed. I have to imagine it would force them to greatly diversify the games they make.

I'd read it except I won't.  tldr summary?
I haven't read most of it. Lots of arguing about the importance and irreplaceability of CoD.

"Microsoft wants PlayStation to become like Nintendo, so that it would be a less close and less effective competitor to Xbox"

This is quite a line though.

Legend

I don't play Activision-Blizzard games so I couldn't care less from that perspective. Don't like Microsoft's lies and dishonest arguments though so I really hope the deal crashes and burns.

Actually using my brain and predicting what would be best for the industry? No clue. If the deal is denied, what situation will Activision Blizzard be in? Will a worse company swoop them up?

I kind of want the Activision deal to go through. Really would want to see Sony get pushed. I have to imagine it would force them to greatly diversify the games they make.
You have more faith in Sony than I do. They're great at making games but it feels like the business people this gen have no clue how to compete with Microsoft.

Speaking of bad ideas, what if they strike a deal with Steam to support an "expanded library" of games on PS5? Every game not available on PSN is allowed to be sold by Valve, and the games just think they're on a next gen steam deck  8)

On a less stupid thought, remember after Infinity War when COD was dying? Battlefield was so close to killing it. Would be pretty funny if this deal goes through and COD dies before any of this matters.

kitler53

I haven't read most of it. Lots of arguing about the importance and irreplaceability of CoD.

"Microsoft wants PlayStation to become like Nintendo, so that it would be a less close and less effective competitor to Xbox"

This is quite a line though.
I think you need to spend some time reviewing all the companies MS killed off just to not have competition.  

they've used the classic monopoly strategy of run a division massively unprofitable until the competitor dies then raise prices to whatever they want when you have no alternative before and that is exactly what gamepass is. 

this would be terrible for the industry and you know it.  Sony may be #1 in consoles but MSs other revenues dwarf it and Sony won't exist in 10 years if MS buys up all third party content. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Nov 24, 2022, 03:12 PM Last Edit: Nov 24, 2022, 03:16 PM by the-pi-guy
this would be terrible for the industry and you know it.  Sony may be #1 in consoles but MSs other revenues dwarf it and Sony won't exist in 10 years if MS buys up all third party content.
I think there are a number of reasons why that wouldn't be realistic in the gaming industry.

MS legally can't buy everyone, there would be more pushback with any future acquisitions. There's no way they could buy Take Two or EA after this.

There are tons of studios in the world. Embracer has 131 studios. There are still plenty of independent developers out there.

Sony is still making itself plenty of exclusive deals.

Gamepass itself might be disruptive, but Sony already has a similar service and they could push it more.

the-pi-guy

I don't play Activision-Blizzard games so I couldn't care less from that perspective. Don't like Microsoft's lies and dishonest arguments though so I really hope the deal crashes and burns.

Actually using my brain and predicting what would be best for the industry? No clue. If the deal is denied, what situation will Activision Blizzard be in? Will a worse company swoop them up?

You have more faith in Sony than I do. They're great at making games but it feels like the business people this gen have no clue how to compete with Microsoft.
I don't think Sony has made any absolutely terrible decisions.
They've got a great console, they've got a strong stable of IPs.

They have a few weaknesses.
Their indie program doesn't seem quite as strong as the early PS4 era. (at least it doesn't feel like they're pushing indies quite as much as they used to).
A pretty notable decline in the amount of publishing deals with third party studios.

But I think these are things they can work on.

BananaKing

Pi do you understand how many legendary and fan favourite IPs MS would own after this buy?

Call of duty
Diablo
World of warcraft
Starcraft
Halo
Doom
Fallout
Elder scrolls
Overwatch

And thats them not even finished yet. They said openly they want to buy more. They are literally trying to buy up the industry

the-pi-guy

And thats them not even finished yet. They said openly they want to buy more. They are literally trying to buy up the industry
And they literally can't. And it's not a money issue.

BananaKing

And they literally can't. And it's not a money issue.
They done it before. Its literally their game plan since the 90s.

the-pi-guy

They done it before. Its literally their game plan since the 90s.
And I would say that the gaming industry is much more diverse.

kitler53

I think there are a number of reasons why that wouldn't be realistic in the gaming industry.

MS legally can't buy everyone, there would be more pushback with any future acquisitions. There's no way they could buy Take Two or EA after this.

There are tons of studios in the world. Embracer has 131 studios. There are still plenty of independent developers out there.

Sony is still making itself plenty of exclusive deals.

Gamepass itself might be disruptive, but Sony already has a similar service and they could push it more.

if buying Activision after buying a dozen studios and one publisher stands up to scrutiny what argument would stop MS from buying Ubisoft, EA, take two, SE....

...there would still be lots of publishers not owned by MS. isn't that the argument,..  MS isn't the #1 game development company yet so of course buying up studios and IP is fine??

...but you're not dumb.  you know that that metric is BS.  there are very few platform owners left and a platform is judged by the games.  MS doesn't need to buy up all the development studios to kill playstation.  MS only needs to starve ps of enough content to appear non-viable to gamers and the entire community implodes. no one is going to buy a ps for just Sony first party and indies. 

I don't begrudge MS for wanting to build up their first party but that's not really what they are doing.  Sony is building a first party by investing in things like haven studios.  MS is simply taking away from the industry. how many franchises are on ps today who's sequels are now locked to MS.  probably at least a few dozen?   I don't ducking want to have to buy an Xbox to play Diablo,.. it's ducking BS. 

BananaKing

So what happens if they file the lawsuit

the-pi-guy

Nov 24, 2022, 09:49 PM Last Edit: Nov 24, 2022, 09:51 PM by the-pi-guy
if buying Activision after buying a dozen studios and one publisher stands up to scrutiny what argument would stop MS from buying Ubisoft, EA, take two, SE....
Because the governments don't care about the number of acquisitions, they care about overall market share.
Buying up more of the market gets harder to do.  

MS doesn't need to buy up all the development studios to kill playstation.  MS only needs to starve ps of enough content to appear non-viable to gamers and the entire community implodes. no one is going to buy a ps for just Sony first party and indies.
Plenty of people would.
There are also lots of markets that wouldn't care about Xbox regardless.

I don't think Sony is as fragile as they used to be /as you think they are.

They're not as strong independently as Nintendo, but they are a lot closer than they used to be.

kitler53

Nov 24, 2022, 11:08 PM Last Edit: Nov 24, 2022, 11:13 PM by kitler53
So what happens if they file the lawsuit
Court.  A judge would determine if the the acquisition can proceed based on the arguments for/against this being bad for the market.  Would be somewhat expensive for MS.  …worse in bad PR.

Because the governments don't care about the number of acquisitions, they care about overall market share.
Buying up more of the market gets harder to do.  

Plenty of people would.
There are also lots of markets that wouldn't care about Xbox regardless.

I don't think Sony is as fragile as they used to be /as you think they are.

They're not as strong independently as Nintendo, but they are a lot closer than they used to be.
Its not all about market share though.  Its also about participants.  When there are more than 2 appaerntly that is sufficiently "competitive" for most acquisitions.  I'm honestly surprised this would result in a lawsuit but I don't see why after bethesda/activision anyone would care about take two….

the-pi-guy

I might be wrong, but from what I understand, if the deal goes through then Activision employees will be able to join a union.

FTC might push it through as a huge worker's win.

the-pi-guy

FTC seeks to block acquisition

"Microsoft has already shown that it can and will withhold content from its gaming rivals," said Holly Vedova, Director of the FTC's Bureau of Competition. "Today we seek to stop Microsoft from gaining control over a leading independent game studio and using it to harm competition in multiple dynamic and fast-growing gaming markets."

Go Up