Gaming Acquisition |OT| Tencent acquires Lucid Games

Started by the-pi-guy, Oct 01, 2022, 06:54 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

SWORDF1SH

exactly.

my least favorite was the argument against gay marriage was it was an unconstitutional violation against "religious freedom".

you know,.  because religious freedom means I have to be subjugated to your religious restrictions and not allowed to have my own. if marriage is a religious institution like they argued then really government shouldn't even recognize marriage.   ...but seeing as we do then it must allow anyone's view on what counts as a marriage.  

...for the record I side with polyamorous marriages as well.  I don't give a shame about how consenting adults choose to love.

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

kitler53

i can't wait for the activision thing to be settled one way or another so we can get more HUGE acquisition announcements.   i'm soo excited to find out who going to buy SE.  

...let me complain pre-emptively that it's MS that buys them.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

nnodley

BananaKing

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-01-12/google-nvidia-express-concerns-to-ftc-about-microsoft-s-activision-deal

Ohhhhh this gonna get good. I hope this might spell doom for the deal
I really hope this deal collapses and spells doom for mega acquisition deals in the gaming industry

kitler53

Google tells a great story of how hard it is to enter this industry even as a mega cap without needing to beg a direct competitor for content. 

BananaKing

Google tells a great story of how hard it is to enter this industry even as a mega cap without needing to beg a direct competitor for content.
Yeah googled failure should be noted. Netflix's and amazons hard time entering the industry should be noted too

The 10 year "deal" that MS offered Sony and Nintendo only extends to them, and means that anybody else trying to enter the industry is iced  out of luck.

For the life of me I cant see how anyone could consider this to be an okay deal to go through and not anti consumer.

nnodley

https://www.ign.com/articles/european-union-reportedly-preparing-to-challenge-microsofts-activision-blizzard-deal

Oh hell yeah. This deal may actually fall through

If it falls through I would hope this means EA and Ubisoft are off the table for any of the console makers to buy

kitler53

the UK was reported to be also moving to block the deal. 

with three (huge) markets opposing I can't see a path forward for MS.  I'm a bit scared to see how MS retaliates if blocked. 

SWORDF1SH

Maybe they pay for COD exclusivity and stop it on all platforms. MS will play dirty

the-pi-guy

Phil Spencer Interview

Given a year ago, for me, I didn't know anything about the process of doing an acquisition like this. The fact that I have more insight, more knowledge about what it means to work with the different regulatory boards, I'm more confident now than I was a year ago, simply based on the information I have and the discussions that we've been having.
So my confidence remains high. We're actively working with the regulatory boards around the world that need to approve for this, and it's been a learning experience for me. A lot of time spent, a lot of travel, a lot of conversations, but they're conversations where I get to talk about our industry and the work that we do and why we do it. I think the more regulators are informed about what gaming is, how the business runs, who the players are, and what our aspiration is as Team Xbox is just a good thing for the industry itself.

Legend

the-pi-guy

Jan 28, 2023, 01:50 AM Last Edit: Jan 28, 2023, 01:55 AM by the-pi-guy

>currently lead communications for Microsoft,

the-pi-guy

Hopefully 2.5 months left. I will be thrilled to see the conclusion.

I think I'm leaning more towards it passing but that might just be their optimism.

Go Up