previous topic - next topic

Go Down

BananaKing

kitler53

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

BananaKing

If this happens then ohhh gosh the meltdowns on resetera will be glorious

the-pi-guy

Rarely does it work, but likely to delay things at least.

the-pi-guy

Gosh dang people.
3 responses in 2 minutes.

It is official.
Probably not going to stop the acquisition from happening, but there's a chance. But more likely to delay it from happening.

nnodley

If in the off chance is does get stopped.  Xbox fanboys are going to implode.  It would be glorious.  It needs to be stopped, but i see it getting through.  MS will just keep making concessions and offers to make it seem like its a good thing to happen.

kitler53

Dec 08, 2022, 07:21 PM Last Edit: Dec 08, 2022, 07:26 PM by kitler53
In a complaint issued today, the FTC pointed to Microsoft's record of acquiring and using valuable gaming content to suppress competition from rival consoles, including its acquisition of ZeniMax, parent company of Bethesda Softworks (a well-known game developer). Microsoft decided to make several of Bethesda's titles including Starfield and Redfall Microsoft exclusives despite assurances it had given to European antitrust authorities that it had no incentive to withhold games from rival consoles.

"Microsoft has already shown that it can and will withhold content from its gaming rivals," said Holly Vedova, Director of the FTC's Bureau of Competition. "Today we seek to stop Microsoft from gaining control over a leading independent game studio and using it to harm competition in multiple dynamic and fast-growing gaming markets."
well there it is.  taking starfield from playstation cost them CoD.   a poor trade indeed.

i hope this means:
- Activision
- EA
- Ubisoft
- SE
- take two
- tencent

... are off limits to nintendo/MS/sony.   i fully expect more acquisitions in the future for all of the above and in general am okay with that.  but there is a HUGE difference between aquiring doublepoint/playground and acquiring activation.  

If in the off chance is does get stopped.  Xbox fanboys are going to implode.  It would be glorious.  It needs to be stopped, but i see it getting through.  MS will just keep making concessions and offers to make it seem like its a good thing to happen.
dunno.  reading the thing though a bit i think the clinker is MS already offered concessions with respect to the bethesda acquisition and they already broke them when they pulled starfield off of playstation.  the fact that bethesda exec apoligiezed about it will probably be quite damning here:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/06/bethesda-vp-offers-apology-for-starfields-absence-on-ps5/

"I don't know how to allay the concerns of consumer and PlayStation 5 fans other than to say I'm a PlayStation 5 player as well, and I've played games on that console, and there's games I'm going to continue to play on it," Hines said. "But if you want to play Starfield, [it's] Xbox and PC. Sorry. All I can say is I apologize because I'm certain that that's frustrating to folks, but there's not a whole lot I can do about it."

the-pi-guy

dunno.  reading the thing though a bit i think the clinker is MS already offered concessions with respect to the bethesda acquisition and they already broke them when they pulled starfield off of playstation.  the fact that bethesda exec apoligiezed about it will probably be quite damning here:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/06/bethesda-vp-offers-apology-for-starfields-absence-on-ps5/
I don't think they made any actual concessions with the Zenimax acquisition.

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

Reuters person thinks MS will buy Netflix next year. 

Don't see the logic.
Strongly doubt this will happen.

kitler53

BananaKing

It makes a lot of sense. These companies shouldn't be focusing on a sub that offers one type of entertainment form. Youre competing for consumers time, netflix, psn, xbox, prime, Disney.

Offer games, TV, series, movies, books, music. Whatever makes sense for the company. How many people are subscribed to both psn and netflix? That type of consumer would be appealed by a sub that has both a lot of high quality games and TV/movies

kitler53

ffs.

MMORPG.com: Microsoft Claims FTC's Lawsuit To Stop Activision Blizzard Purchase Is Unconstitutional.
https://www.mmorpg.com/news/microsoft-claims-ftcs-lawsuit-to-stop-activision-blizzard-purchase-is-unconstitutional-2000126956

"unconstitutional" is thrown around far too much to the point it's meaningless. 

BananaKing

ffs.

MMORPG.com: Microsoft Claims FTC's Lawsuit To Stop Activision Blizzard Purchase Is Unconstitutional.
https://www.mmorpg.com/news/microsoft-claims-ftcs-lawsuit-to-stop-activision-blizzard-purchase-is-unconstitutional-2000126956

"unconstitutional" is thrown around far too much to the point it's meaningless.  
From what I've seen, when ever Americans want to win an argument against another American, they always claim the issue to be "unconstitutional"

kitler53

From what I've seen, when ever Americans want to win an argument against another American, they always claim the issue to be "unconstitutional"
exactly. 

my least favorite was the argument against gay marriage was it was an unconstitutional violation against "religious freedom".

you know,.  because religious freedom means I have to be subjugated to your religious restrictions and not allowed to have my own. if marriage is a religious institution like they argued then really government shouldn't even recognize marriage.   ...but seeing as we do then it must allow anyone's view on what counts as a marriage.  

...for the record I side with polyamorous marriages as well.  I don't give a shame about how consenting adults choose to love. 

Go Up