Warner Bros Discovery |OT| DC Reboot

Started by the-pi-guy, Aug 03, 2022, 11:43 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

Source

In a company-wide memo, chairman Channing Dungey told staff that the company plans to fully consolidate its tv animation divisions, merging Warner Bros. Animation (WBA) and Cartoon Network Studios (CNS). Going forward, Sam Register will continue as head of WBA and CNS, as well as Hanna-Barbera Studios Europe, the latter of which will continue to operate independently from the other two.

According to the memo, all three labels will continue to exist, but perhaps more in name than in action. Both development and production at WBA and CNS will now be merged, extending on the cross-studio teams that were already in place for programming, casting, legal, and business affairs, and artist relations. This means that Cartoon Network Studios no longer has any independent say on either creative or operational matters, something that has never happened before in its existence.

Under boss David Zaslav, Warner Bros. Discovery has expressed a desire to focus more heavily on IP across all its businesses, so now that CNS has to share development and production resources with WBA, it's difficult to imagine a future in which the studio's original animation output can match what it has been in the past.
Maybe not as bad as it was spoken about:

the-pi-guy

Based on Era, good news for once.

nnodley

the-pi-guy

Dec 19, 2022, 07:12 PM Last Edit: Dec 19, 2022, 07:14 PM by the-pi-guy
I'm going to call this the official WBD thread, at least while they're making so many changes.

This is a rumor:

nnodley

henry cavill should be in that list, imo.  Not sure why they couldn't just reboot his superman

Legend

Dec 19, 2022, 07:35 PM Last Edit: Dec 19, 2022, 07:39 PM by Legend
So reboot after aquaman 3?

And why Viola Davis? She's great in other roles but not suicide squad.

henry cavill should be in that list, imo.  Not sure why they couldn't just reboot his superman
Yeah I bet superman and wonderwoman have similar struggles to batman post Bale.

the-pi-guy

Dec 19, 2022, 07:46 PM Last Edit: Dec 19, 2022, 07:53 PM by the-pi-guy
They want someone younger, but yeah I feel like he's a pretty solid superman.

So reboot after aquaman 3?

And why Viola Davis? She's great in other roles but not suicide squad.
A lot of DC fans love her.

Not exactly sure why.

r/DCComics: Can we all agree that Viola kills it as Amanda Waller?
APPRECIATION: I think Viola Davis as Amanda Waller is the best casting to come out of the DCEU.

Both posts with lots of upvotes, but I haven't seen The Suicide Squad and I don't remember the first very well.

kitler53

Dec 19, 2022, 11:26 PM Last Edit: Dec 19, 2022, 11:31 PM by kitler53
if you're going to reboot why not just recast everyone?  

I love Margot Robbie but even she has been playing Harley for a long time.  start over.  Anya taylor-joy maybe.  

hell, focus on some new characters even.  Aquaman is just never going to be that compelling...

I did a quick Google search for DC characters.  only looked at page 1 and amethyst and beast boy both already sound more interesting. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

if you're going to reboot why not just recast everyone?  

I love Margot Robbie but even she has been playing Harley for a long time.  start over.  Anya taylor-joy maybe.  

hell, focus on some new characters even.  Aquaman is just never going to be that compelling...

I did a quick Google search for DC characters.  only looked at page 1 and amethyst and beast boy both already sound more interesting.
Not sure how much you've been following the DC stuff.
James Gunn took over the DC stuff. He seems to be salvaging his own stuff (like Suicide Squad) and rebooting most of the other things.

It sounded like they also wanted to include The Batman as that's been pretty well loved.

kitler53

Not sure how much you've been following the DC stuff.
James Gunn took over the DC stuff. He seems to be salvaging his own stuff (like Suicide Squad) and rebooting most of the other things.

It sounded like they also wanted to include The Batman as that's been pretty well loved.
not following it much.  ...and what I've read doesn't always land with me since I've skipped everything.  ..even moreso than marvel.

my 2 favorites are spiderman and batman so I want DC to do well but most of their stuff just looks Soo bad.

the batman trilogy with bale are some of my favorite movies ever but Affleck and Patterson were both bad.   maybe Patterson himself wasn't terrible but the movie was.

I like gal Godot as wonder women but 1984 was terrible.

Margot was fantastic as Harley but suicide squad was meh.

superman is just a terrible superhero and will be redeemable. 

anything else I've skipped.  the trailers just looked bad and characters like Aquaman and flash just aren't compelling to me.

the-pi-guy

I'm going to call this the official WBD thread, at least while they're making so many changes.

This is a rumor:

Rumor debunked.

the-pi-guy

People on Era thought it was plausible.
Oh well.  

I'm more of a DC fan than a Marvel fan.
I would look forward to better Superman, Flash, Wonder woman movies, among others.  

Legend

Rumor debunked.

Unless superman never joins the rest, how could they not recast?

kitler53

personally I wish superhero movies would go to the "James bond" format. 

recast whenever but it's not really a "reboot" of the franchise.  enough already with the retelling of origin stories.  just make a stand alone movie with a plot that's cool.  don't worry about continuity.  fudge off already with cross overs. 

Go Up