Twitter now owned by Elon Musk

Started by the-pi-guy, Apr 04, 2022, 02:31 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

SWORDF1SH

Elon just hired this guy  :o

It'll be interesting to see what he does.

kitler53

imo,..  even if the guy is smart he looks too comparative to work in a team.  he'll probably make things worse. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

SWORDF1SH

imo,..  even if the guy is smart he looks too comparative to work in a team.  he'll probably make things worse.
He mentioned it's only a short term contract but he says he thrives in these conditions.

kitler53

I don't see where he says he thrives here but...

...in my experience hiring someone that says they thrive in a chaotic environment like this generally means:
- I don't respect authority or process
- I'm going to do what I want to do not what is asked if me
- I'm going to complain loudly about how incompetent everyone but me is
- I'm going to be a shaming employee that will eventually get fired

SWORDF1SH

I don't see where he says he thrives here but...

...in my experience hiring someone that says they thrive in a chaotic environment like this generally means:
- I don't respect authority or process
- I'm going to do what I want to do not what is asked if me
- I'm going to complain loudly about how incompetent everyone but me is
- I'm going to be a shaming employee that will eventually get fired
I get that impression of him but I also get that he would be very open about what he wants to do and go about it.

The bit about him thriving in these conditions was is a previous tweet.

kitler53

Yeah I was hoping it'd get down to this price again, but I jumped the gun on yesterday's drop.
-6.8%

8)

Legend

-6.8%

8)
Let's go!

If it drops to 30% its current value it'll still be doing better than my other stock 8)

kitler53

Let's go!

If it drops to 30% its current value it'll still be doing better than my other stock 8)
Which stock is that?

Legend

Which stock is that?
RKLB, rocket lab. I own 4 shares.

Legend

Seen It Marty GIF - Seen It Marty Back To The Future GIFs

Guess it's round 2 for Apple in court defending their 30% fee.

BananaKing

I still say the 30% cut fee is justified

kitler53

I still think a fee is justified but 30% feels like price gouging.  credit cards do their thing for 3%. 

BananaKing

I still think a fee is justified but 30% feels like price gouging.  credit cards do their thing for 3%.
Credit cards are doing that on every transaction you make in your life. You buy gum, food, rent, cars... everything with your card.

This is different. Its a marketplace that had billions poured into it to reach the maximum number of people. On consoles Sony and MS are taking hundreds of dollar losses per unit to reach those audiences, why? Because that 30% cut makes up for it.

If a dev doesn't like it, go make your own market place. Its not that easy, let me tell you. Bethesda and ubisoft failed at it and went back to steam.

Other publishers or devs dont have the money to do so? Okay cool, use PSN, xbox live, and steam. But respect that they get their cut.

kitler53

Credit cards are doing that on every transaction you make in your life. You buy gum, food, rent, cars... everything with your card.

This is different. Its a marketplace that had billions poured into it to reach the maximum number of people. On consoles Sony and MS are taking hundreds of dollar losses per unit to reach those audiences, why? Because that 30% cut makes up for it.

If a dev doesn't like it, go make your own market place. Its not that easy, let me tell you. Bethesda and ubisoft failed at it and went back to steam.

Other publishers or devs dont have the money to do so? Okay cool, use PSN, xbox live, and steam. But respect that they get their cut.

30% on xbox/playstation makes more sense to me,.. like you said they take a huge loss on hardware to build this community.

apple sells their hardware for a profit.    so a 30% on the ~90 billion in app store revenue sounds more than excessive to me.  

I can't link to what i'm looking at because i'm looking at the software i use for stock trading but what i'm seeing is:

profit               Revenue            Profit Margin
Apple                99.8                  394.3                 25.3%
Microsoft          69.8                  203                    34.4%
Sony                  7.59                  83.8                   9.1%

All numbers are in billions and TTM.

personally i look at that apple number and think that kind of profit margin on that kind of revenue looks like a company that isn't trying to "compete".

BananaKing

I'll agree in apples situation, a 30% cut seems it can be discussed. Specially since they don't allow other market places on the platform. But id argue it shouldn't be less than 20. Its still their investment and platform  

Go Up