Twitter now owned by Elon Musk

Started by the-pi-guy, Apr 04, 2022, 02:31 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

kitler53

I'll agree in apples situation, a 30% cut seems it can be discussed. Specially since they don't allow other market places on the platform. But id argue it shouldn't be less than 20. Its still their investment and platform  
i don't know what the right number is.   i just think if apple actually had to compete it would be much lower.   the amount of effort apple put into the actual app store is miniscule.  

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

COVID-19 - Twitter Transparency Center

Effective November 23, 2022, Twitter is no longer enforcing the COVID-19 misleading information policy.

kitler53

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

Uggggghhhh

kitler53

SWORDF1SH

I thought is was widely accepted that Fauci is dodgy.

the-pi-guy

I thought is was widely accepted that Fauci is dodgy.
The man has definitely made some mistakes, but no.

Axios quotes

"Elon Musk wants to criminalize Anthony Fauci because he disagrees with him. Elon is no champion of free speech," Rep. Ritchie Torres (D-N.Y.) tweeted.

"It's America. You can select any pronouns you dang well please. But Anthony Fauci has likely saved more human lives than any living person in the world. Shame on you," Rep. Dean Phillips (D-Minn.) tweeted.

"Dr. Fauci is a national hero who will be remembered for generations to come for his innate goodness & many contributions to public health Despite your business success, you will be remembered most for fueling public hate & divisions. You may have money, but you have no class," former CIA Director John Brennan tweeted.

The man has spent almost 4 decades in healthcare advising and working through multiple pandemics, through numerous presidents including Reagan, Bush, Obama, Trump and Biden.

Fox News, r/conspiracy, r/nonewnormal, etc have thanked his contributions with propaganda, lies and death threats. This is exactly why people have been concerned about Elon's push into "free speech".

Elon has been a critic of the shut downs and the vaccine from the very start.

This kind of anti-science propaganda is going to get a lot of people killed.

SWORDF1SH

I just thought he lied a lot and profited a lot from the pandemic.
And I could be wrong but that Elon tweet isn't about denying the science but rather about the alleged lies and shady stuff Fauci has done. He should at least be interrogated. Being anti Fauci isn't anti science.

As for twitter, I like what Elon has planned. I like both sides get a say. I like that he's pissing off the far right and far left. I like the transparency. I like he is willing to go head to head with powerful people. I like he is exposing Twitter's past. I like his plans encouraging journalists to be truthful and the community decides whats the truth with context added notes. I like that it gives us more power. If both right and left can thrive on there and get rid of the far left and right, it can be a powerful platform with the most accurate articles. This is Elon's plan. If it fails, Twitter in the previous state was better off dead anyway.

This thread though, is just about cherry picking the tweets from Elon to put him in the worst light possible. It's a mainstream media news article in forum thread form.

kitler53

you need new sources swordfish.  the only thing dodgy are the blatant lies from his critics.  fauci gave his recommendations for how to navigate the pandemic with the best facts and science available at the time with a goal of saving lives. 

SWORDF1SH

you need new sources swordfish.  the only thing dodgy are the blatant lies from his critics.  fauci gave his recommendations for how to navigate the pandemic with the best facts and science available at the time with a goal of saving lives.
He lied about it leaking from a lab and then we were restricted from talking about it. That alone is iced up. They controlled the freedom of speech and restricted what we could say through social media and controlled the narrative. Why would I support that?

the-pi-guy

Dec 12, 2022, 12:49 PM Last Edit: Dec 12, 2022, 12:55 PM by the-pi-guy
I just thought he lied a lot and profited a lot from the pandemic.
No. There's been plenty of right wing news articles vaguely describing his increase in wealth.

1.) The stock market surged at the start.

2.) Stuff like this:
Anthony Fauci wins Israel's Dan David $1m prize for 'defending science'

3.) He's the highest paid government official on account of being in a high position for 40 years.

There's no evidence he's profited off the pandemic in any nefarious way.
If there was any thing that could even remotely suggest nefarious activity related to it, TheNY Post would have made a monstrous deal about it, instead of just talking about those 3 things.

And I could be wrong but that Elon tweet isn't about denying the science but rather about the alleged lies and shady stuff Fauci has done. He should at least be interrogated. Being anti Fauci isn't anti science.
No, but that's absolutely where it comes from. 
People have been spreading conspiracies about the shut downs from the start, they've been spreading conspiracies about the vaccine months and months before it even existed. In the past few years, we've seen even greater anti-vax movements. We're seeing people die of diseases that basically haven't existed in America for decades.

And no this is not about him being anti-Fauci. It's the fact that Elon has consistently been spreading anti-scientific nonsense.

Forbe's timeline of Musk's false Covid predictions
Elon Musk defies local orders, reopens Tesla factory anyway
Twitter stops policing covid misinformation

As for twitter, I like what Elon has planned. I like both sides get a say. I like that he's pissing off the far right and far left. I like the transparency. I like he is willing to go head to head with powerful people. I like he is exposing Twitter's past. I like his plans encouraging journalists to be truthful and the community decides whats the truth with context added notes. I like that it gives us more power. If both right and left can thrive on there and get rid of the far left and right, it can be a powerful platform with the most accurate articles. This is Elon's plan. If it fails, Twitter in the previous state was better off dead anyway.
I swear 95% of the time, "pissing off the far left and far right" is really just right wingers celebrating pissing off the left.

I've seen no evidence that Elon is letting "both sides get a say". I've seen left wing accounts get shut down for seemingly nothing. I've seen far right wing accounts get opened back up.

The problem with "the community deciding the truth" is that people are clueless.
The vast majority of people don't understand 95% of anything. There's a reason why we have people that study a specific subject for a decade or more of their life.

He lied about it leaking from a lab and then we were restricted from talking about it. That alone is iced up. They controlled the freedom of speech and restricted what we could say through social media and controlled the narrative. Why would I support that?
Uh no. 

First off we don't know whether it did or didn't leak from a lab. It's very plausible either way.

Secondly he has said nothing of the sort.   

Fauci in April 2020:

"There was a study recently that we can make available to you, where a group of highly qualified evolutionary virologists looked at the sequences there and the sequences in bats as they evolve. And the mutations that it took to get to the point where it is now is totally consistent with a jump of a species from an animal to a human," Fauci replied.
He says nothing about it for a year, and then suggests this in 2021:

"I am not convinced about that, I think we should continue to investigate what went on in China until we continue to find out to the best of our ability what happened."
Dr Fauci didn't control Twitter and Facebook. 

There was someone from twitter who had a big string of text about how Twitter does not moderate speech, they moderate behavior. And the reason why the lab theory was getting censored (we can talk about whether it was justified or not) was due to people attacking random Asian Americans due to the pandemic.

kitler53

i'll take the opposite tactic as Pi.  you say quite diffinitively that Fauci lied about the virus leaking from a lab in china.  for that to be true then you must:

1. have definitive irrefutable evidence that covid came from a lab in china

2. a statement from Fauci to the american public with a clear denial of the aforemention conclusion that covid came from a lab in china.

3. and a clear connection that Fauci was 100% aware of the irrefutable evidence in #1 at the time Fauci made his statement in #2 

Also, i'd love to see some evidence of how freedom of speech was suppressed.  Since we all know that constitutional freedom of speech protects people from the government please give me names of people put into jail for stating their opinions.  if my memory serves trump was never jailed for those hundreds of times he pushed this conspiracy theory but i'd love to be proven wrong.

kitler53

Dec 12, 2022, 05:04 PM Last Edit: Dec 12, 2022, 05:07 PM by kitler53
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/twitter-account-tracks-elon-musks-110613238.html

A Twitter user who runs an account which tracks Elon Musk's private jet says it has been shadowbanned since Musk bought the platform.
Jack Sweeney, the person behind the jet tracking account, ElonJet, took to Twitter on Sunday to accuse the social media platform of suppressing the automated account.
In a thread Sweeney dubbed, "My Twitter Files," he claimed an anonymous Twitter employee informed him that his ElonJet account was "visibility limited/restricted to a severe degree internally" on December 2.

SWORDF1SH

Dec 12, 2022, 06:53 PM Last Edit: Dec 12, 2022, 06:55 PM by SWORDF1SH
There's no evidence he's profited off the pandemic in any nefarious way.
You could be right. My problem with him concerning money received is when questioned about certain payments he dodged the questions like a politician. Could be a reasonable excuse for not answering questions idk.

I swear 95% of the time, "pissing off the far left and far right" is really just right wingers celebrating pissing off the left.
Well, it's been the opposite way for the longest time and if you are left leaning, the platform becoming more neutral will hurt them. People need to grow up.  

I've seen no evidence that Elon is letting "both sides get a say". I've seen left wing accounts get shut down for seemingly nothing. I've seen far right wing accounts get opened back up.
How so, the left are continuing as normal (a few are spitting their dummy out and leaving). My guess there's some individual cases but that's probably more of a case of being targeted and mass reported (common to happen on Twitter) and I can guarantee it happens to people from both sides.

The problem with "the community deciding the truth" is that people are clueless.
The vast majority of people don't understand 95% of anything. There's a reason why we have people that study a specific subject for a decade or more of their life.
100% agree but I don't think any Tom, sucker or Harry can get their Community Note approved. I will wait to see how this pans out. But what it should do is open it up more for independent journalists that want to report the truth (mainstream media ain't it)
First off we don't know whether it did or didn't leak from a lab. It's very plausible either way.
Uh no.

Secondly he has said nothing of the sort.  

Fauci in April 2020:

"There was a study recently that we can make available to you, where a group of highly qualified evolutionary virologists looked at the sequences there and the sequences in bats as they evolve. And the mutations that it took to get to the point where it is now is totally consistent with a jump of a species from an animal to a human," Fauci replied.
He says nothing about it for a year, and then suggests this in 2021:

"I am not convinced about that, I think we should continue to investigate what went on in China until we continue to find out to the best of our ability what happened."
And why do you think the 'Wet market' theory was allowed to roll and the lab leak theory was shut down and people suspended for talking about it? Why was was one theory allowed to be talked about and spread through every major publication but the lab leak was shut down and will never be admitted?

There was someone from twitter who had a big string of text about how Twitter does not moderate speech, they moderate behavior. And the reason why the lab theory was getting censored (we can talk about whether it was justified or not) was due to people attacking random Asian Americans due to the pandemic.
I'll just go ahead and say what a load of BS. So the wet market theory was allowed but the lab leak wasn't to protect Asian people?  ???
And where were these measure for the BLM riots? People died, injured and property destroyed while it was celebrated.

We are on a slippery slope where freedom of speech is being taken away from us. fudge left or right. I want my right to be able to question things. I don't want to be shut down for not conforming and I believe it does more damage for people not to be able to discuss while being narrated the 'truth' by mainstream media and the big corporations that fund them. I'm not fighting for right or left but more power for us.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/twitter-account-tracks-elon-musks-110613238.html

Safety reasons probably.

Go Up