Twitter now owned by Elon Musk

Started by the-pi-guy, Apr 04, 2022, 02:31 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

SWORDF1SH

I think twitter will be fine. Elon has the dedication, contacts and clout to completely overhaul twitter. The majority of people wishing him to fail are people that hate him.
Either way, it's highly entertaining to watch  

kitler53

Nov 18, 2022, 04:31 PM Last Edit: Nov 18, 2022, 05:01 PM by kitler53

I think twitter will be fine. Elon has the dedication, contacts and clout to completely overhaul twitter. The majority of people wishing him to fail are people that hate him.
Either way, it's highly entertaining to watch 
experience matters.  if the people who built the platform all leave new people (no matter how smart or dedicated) won't be able to support the platform just by reading the code.

I've watch numerous software platforms implode in my company due to turnover.

the risk Elon has now is he already fired a ton of people and he's being a sucker to the ones that are left.  too many gone and Twitter could go dark overnight without anyone left who knows how to get it back up.   anything more than a days outage and you'll see a mass exodus of the users and advertisers.

I bought $50 of Tesla stock. Not enough to actually make or lose any serious money, but I predict the damage from Elon's Twitter purchase is mostly done. Semi truck next month should bring them back up and distance them from the drama (or it gets bad reviews and the stock goes lower).
kissed the 12 months low today.  I looked at the chart and am willing to bet we test ~140 at some point.  probably a lot of support there.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

Nov 18, 2022, 04:42 PM Last Edit: Nov 18, 2022, 04:44 PM by Legend
Rationally I think Twitter should survive. Both Tesla and SpaceX faced significant challenges and had worse odds multiple times throughout their history. Twitter is easy by comparison.

They'll definitely continue to break things over the coming weeks and months but unless the site goes down for a prolonged period of time, most users will just keep doing their thing.

It could take a while to convince advertisers that Twitter is a safe way to make money, but I think private investors will be a lot easier to get on board. I don't think they'll run out of capital.

kissed the 12 months low today.  I looked at the chart and am willing to be we test ~140 at some point.  probably a lot of support there.
Yeah I was hoping it'd get down to this price again, but I jumped the gun on yesterday's drop.

kitler53

Twitter is different than Elon's failures at Tesla.  you can't just tells your customers your on a waiting list and then delay them a second, third, fourth time as the failures mount up.  

I'm still waiting on that promised solar roof I was supposed to be able to buy like 6 years ago...

Elon hasn't been this rock star leader he is made out to be.  he has more in common with Paris Hilton than Steve jobs,.. he's more personality than accomplishments. 

...but social media is not cars.  it's "free" and there are alternatives.  even well run social like Facebook is having trouble keeping it's community. PUBG was big until it wasn't.   there will always be the next tik tok or fortnight and when the product is free to use the keeping the community is fragile. 

the-pi-guy

Rationally I think Twitter should survive. Both Tesla and SpaceX faced significant challenges and had worse odds multiple times throughout their history. Twitter is easy by comparison
One might argue that it's likely easier to make a Twitter competitor than it is to make a Tesla/SpaceX competitor; which might not bode well for Twitter long term.

kitler53

Nov 18, 2022, 05:02 PM Last Edit: Nov 18, 2022, 05:18 PM by kitler53
One might argue that it's likely easier to make a Twitter competitor than it is to make a Tesla/SpaceX competitor; which might not bode well for Twitter long term.
once again, Pi speaks my point but in a far better way. 

Yeah I was hoping it'd get down to this price again, but I jumped the gun on yesterday's drop.
if timing the bottom was easy we'd all be rich. 

Legend

Nov 18, 2022, 05:35 PM Last Edit: Nov 18, 2022, 05:43 PM by Legend
Twitter is different than Elon's failures at Tesla.  you can't just tells your customers your on a waiting list and then delay them a second, third, fourth time as the failures mount up. 

I'm still waiting on that promised solar roof I was supposed to be able to buy like 6 years ago...

Elon hasn't been this rock star leader he is made out to be.  he has more in common with Paris Hilton than Steve jobs,.. he's more personality than accomplishments.

...but social media is not cars.  it's "free" and there are alternatives.  even well run social like Facebook is having trouble keeping it's community. PUBG was big until it wasn't.   there will always be the next tik tok or fortnight and when the product is free to use the keeping the community is fragile.

Um no?

Tesla's recent struggles have been with ramping up production. Their solar roof for example has been available for years but with limited supply. Tesla is different than Twitter but in a way that makes Twitter simpler. No supply chains, no physical products, no cutting edge software, etc. It's a company with nearly 100,000 employees vs a company with ~7,000 employees before layoffs.

Also no need to make stuff up just because he's stupid in other areas. I know relatively little on the Tesla side, but with SpaceX he's a combo of Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak. Every person involved says this.

I definitely agree on the threat of alternatives siphoning away users, but Twitter has been stagnant for years and that hasn't happened. At least to me it seems like that's more of an issue for its long term potential, not the next few years.

the-pi-guy

Nov 18, 2022, 09:02 PM Last Edit: Nov 18, 2022, 09:07 PM by the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

I definitely agree on the threat of alternatives siphoning away users, but Twitter has been stagnant for years and that hasn't happened. At least to me it seems like that's more of an issue for its long term potential, not the next few years.
I think a stagnant service that works well, is probably better than one that's popular but hectic for the wider market.

Many advertisers have left, and there seem to be quite a few more that are either preparing or considering leaving.

kitler53

nyt is reporting 1,200 people resigned yesterday...

Elon Musk's Twitter Teeters on the Edge After Another 1,200 Leave https://nyti.ms/3hP0pH7

wow. 

Legend

Yay!

nyt is reporting 1,200 people resigned yesterday...

Elon Musk's Twitter Teeters on the Edge After Another 1,200 Leave https://nyti.ms/3hP0pH7

wow.
Speculation yesterday was that 2,700 resigned so from a glass half full perspective, that's not bad ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SWORDF1SH

Speculation yesterday was that 2,700 resigned so from a glass half full perspective, that's not bad ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
How many employees does he have left
PS. We need more emojis. Don't make me get Elon here to sort this place out  ;D

the-pi-guy

Well that's good news at least.

Legend

Nov 19, 2022, 03:06 AM Last Edit: Nov 19, 2022, 03:12 AM by Legend
How many employees does he have left
PS. We need more emojis. Don't make me get Elon here to sort this place out  ;D
A bit over 2,000 I think.

We've got emoji    >:D

Dr. Pezus

Surely that was the plan all along, to streamline the company? Why the fudge does twitter have so many employees lol

Go Up