Linked Events

Go Down

the-pi-guy

(New maps and RT) references found

the-pi-guy

Spoiler for Leak for other game:
<br><br>HORIZON DLC you say? Sounds like a good time for Elden Ring<br><br>

kitler53

i hope this greatly reduces the number of griefers in the main campaign.   maybe that will turn this game into something playable instead of a heap of garbage...

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

kitler53

fudge.   i hope this is like 2 years from releasing.   i want to move on from elden ring...

the-pi-guy

Revisited.

I played a few hours the past few days, figure I'll be ready for the DLC when it comes

I feel like I'm enjoying it more than the first time around, but it's still not "best game ever"

This game feels very different from anything else to me. In good ways and bad.

Like the open world:
There's not a lot like it. It's a unique feeling running around the world. But also I don't want more games to chase that feeling.

Personally the biggest thing that I love about open world games is being able to do like life simulation stuff. Buy a house for no good reason, explore a city, help people out. Skyrim style.

Elden Ring doesn't really have that.

I adore the Souls games, all of them, even at their worst. Love a lot of aspects. The combat is fun, the challenge is great and rewarding.

Elden Ring has a lot of that, but it is also less directed than the other games.

I still think this is a great game, and it's a really cool unique game.

But I don't think it's From Software's Magnum Opus.

the-pi-guy

Legend

Revisited.

I played a few hours the past few days, figure I'll be ready for the DLC when it comes

I feel like I'm enjoying it more than the first time around, but it's still not "best game ever"

This game feels very different from anything else to me. In good ways and bad.

Like the open world:
There's not a lot like it. It's a unique feeling running around the world. But also I don't want more games to chase that feeling.

Personally the biggest thing that I love about open world games is being able to do like life simulation stuff. Buy a house for no good reason, explore a city, help people out. Skyrim style.

Elden Ring doesn't really have that.

I adore the Souls games, all of them, even at their worst. Love a lot of aspects. The combat is fun, the challenge is great and rewarding.

Elden Ring has a lot of that, but it is also less directed than the other games.

I still think this is a great game, and it's a really cool unique game.

But I don't think it's From Software's Magnum Opus.
I've not played it obviously.

Is the open world a somewhat standard world that just lacks a lot of modern map/HUD stuff or is it more interesting than that?

kitler53

Is the open world a somewhat standard world that just lacks a lot of modern map/HUD stuff or is it more interesting than that?
there isn't anything unique or interesting about the open world as far as i'm concerned.  there is no "unbisoft checklist of quest",.. it's just a basic map with fog of war applied to the areas you haven't visited.  you may put markers on the map to remind yourself to come back but that's nothing new.   the overwold itself is very standard.  groups of enemies sitting in locations protecting them.   a few groups that patrol a very predictable path.    you fight some mini-bosses in the open area which i suppose for my experience is something i haven't seen,.. it's not great though as it makes is soooo easy to cheese a boss because you can just run away.

all sense of danger is pretty much void though.   you have a horse and you can basically run to the end game in the first few minutes if you wanted because enemies don't give a very good chase.  

lot's of pointless backtracking though.   you don't just clear an area and move on.   you clear an area and move on and then get told on the other end of the map that you need to go back to get a specific quest item.   you may have have the item if you were being very completionism but probably not.   also they won't really tell you where it is.  they tell it in riddles so that you basically have to go to the internet in order to play the game or be extraordinary observant in retaining the mountains of lore and picking up on the placement of environmental details.

the-pi-guy

I don't think the open world is particularly interesting.

There's no quest markers.
There's no cities/towns.
Different parts of the map aren't always connected. Lots of cliffs and valleys that separate areas into regions:

Strange Elden Ring Video Shows Night's Cavalry Jumping Off A Cliff

You have a horse that double jumps, and sometimes there are special windy spots where you jump your horse up and down the cliff.

The open world is different from most games, mostly because of how dead it is.

It's drearier than most games.

It has a different feeling from any open world games that I've played, but not really because it has things that others don't.

lot's of pointless backtracking though.   you don't just clear an area and move on.   you clear an area and move on and then get told on the other end of the map that you need to go back to get a specific quest item.   you may have have the item if you were being very completionism but probably not.   also they won't really tell you where it is.  they tell it in riddles so that you basically have to go to the internet in order to play the game or be extraordinary observant in retaining the mountains of lore and picking up on the placement of environmental details.

I don't remember a lot of backtracking. You can always fast travel.

Go Up