The TV |OT|

Started by the-pi-guy, Nov 10, 2021, 01:53 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

Pretty sure it is, but I'm not sure I want to bother. *shrugs*
I get that. There's a weird discoloration on the edge of our brand new tv but I think I'm the only one that can see it, so I just ignore it.

the-pi-guy

My TV OS got upgraded.

It went from one long line of apps to having them in a grid. Progress!  

Also, apps only mode is great. Kind of frustrating that it apparently disables the store. But after you've installed everything you need, it's great.  

Unrelated note, lately I've been a little snobby about resolution. Originally just did 480p just to save on HDD space and lately been downloading in full 1080p.  

Legend

480p is so low. Glad you've moved past the dvd era.

the-pi-guy

This might be a bad comparison. I was comparing 1080p iTunes vs 480p DVD. It was an animation so it might be the source material not being much better.

There are certain parts of the image that look better (lines look more distinct) but the rest doesn't look discernable from the DVD version.

the-pi-guy

My parents Vizio TV OS is so terrible. It's struggling to start up on its own, the UI is awful.

On the other end of it, the OS on my X90J is better than our standalone Roku's.  

Legend

Sony has good OS. I also really like samsung's OS.

Talking about my samsung tv though, I've started to notice super faint brightness differences. A blank white screen looks like 4 vertical strips if you really pay attention. Absolutely no problem today but I worry in another year it'll be more visible.

the-pi-guy

Sony's flagship TV to be LED/LCD after OLED the past few years.

BananaKing

I got the Hisense U7k. Got it for a decent price too. So far it's been really nice, but I've just had it installed 2 days.

Legend

I got the Hisense U7k. Got it for a decent price too. So far it's been really nice, but I've just had it installed 2 days.
Nice. I'd love a 7k tv, I only have 4k  ;)

BananaKing

Nice. I'd love a 7k tv, I only have 4k  ;)
Lol. Don't blame me bruh, these dumb dog tv names don't make sense.

darkknightkryta

Sony's flagship TV to be LED/LCD after OLED the past few years.
I'm guessing Samsung hit a snag with QD OLED?  Also crazy but they went to their semi conductor unit for smaller LED drivers.  I wonder if they're planning a massive revamp next year for their panels.  Like, doubling the amount of LEDs or something.

the-pi-guy

I'm guessing Samsung hit a snag with QD OLED?  Also crazy but they went to their semi conductor unit for smaller LED drivers.  I wonder if they're planning a massive revamp next year for their panels.  Like, doubling the amount of LEDs or something.
I don't think they've hit a snag. Just probably not going to be much better than it was last year.

Sony's mini-led and their improved local dimming system probably comes reasonably close.

Legend

Seems pretty dumb.

And is that a physical sheet that's sliding up and down to transition between transparent and solid modes? lol

the-pi-guy

Seems pretty dumb.

And is that a physical sheet that's sliding up and down to transition between transparent and solid modes? lol
Yes it appears so.

darkknightkryta

Just probably not going to be much better than it was last year.
Yeah, a snag :P
But I meant it more of they couldn't do much better, so Sony and themselves won't be able to do better than last year.  Unless new processing comes out and they can drive 500hz or something.  That'd solve their motion issues.

Go Up