Hapax OT: Magnificent Desolation

Started by Legend, Dec 21, 2020, 03:29 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

Legend

Added grip texture to the hand.

Made the wrist display real stats. They change as you play.

Also finally implemented death!

kitler53

if i can be a critic here,...

I think you should reconsider the use of "calibri" (i think its calibri) for your font.  it's a bit out of favor these days and with the font your are using for "HAPAX" it is a bit,.. something something.  i'm not really a font expert but something about them visually conflict or something something.

Segoe UI is popular these days and when I put it up against your screen looks better in my opinion.   I also liked Kalinga.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Added grip texture to the hand.

Made the wrist display real stats. They change as you play.
Also finally implemented death!
Looks incredible.  

I think you should reconsider the use of "calibri" (i think its calibri) for your font.  it's a bit out of favor these days and with the font your are using for "HAPAX" it is a bit,.. something something.  i'm not really a font expert but something about them visually conflict or something something.

Segoe UI is popular these days and when I put it up against your screen looks better in my opinion.   I also liked Kalinga.
HAPAX is all caps and uses a very open and curved font (with the A not being pointy), whereas the menu is mostly lowercase and uses a pointier font, and looks like it came out of a word document.  

Not terrible, but I can see what you mean if I am looking at it.  

Legend

I think you should reconsider the use of "calibri" (i think its calibri) for your font.  it's a bit out of favor these days and with the font your are using for "HAPAX" it is a bit,.. something something.  i'm not really a font expert but something about them visually conflict or something something.

Segoe UI is popular these days and when I put it up against your screen looks better in my opinion.   I also liked Kalinga.
The menu text is Liberation Sans but it's just the default. I'll definitely look into your suggestions.

This is the only non diegetic menu so I can maybe do something more fancy with it. Although I do still need button prompt icons which should match this style.

Looks incredible.  
Thanks!

HAPAX is all caps and uses a very open and curved font (with the A not being pointy), whereas the menu is mostly lowercase and uses a pointier font, and looks like it came out of a word document.  

Not terrible, but I can see what you mean if I am looking at it.  
I might need to touch up my logo, but at the same time it's definitely in the "good enough" stage.

Legend

Random fun tid bit: sci fi tension can be hard.

Tell players they are a billion miles from Earth and it means nothing. Even if they understand the distance, they don't know how your sci fi ships work.

So I'm trying to really sell the idea early on in the game that you are in a bad situation. I have a gps like device that is having a lot of issues, I have an oximeter showing blood oxygen in the 80s, and I have an unknown alien planet floating nearby.

Legend

This all came together accidentally, but I love it.

Legend

I'm struggling with aliasing but I would love to keep this look.

Legend

3rd person animations in first person games are a thing of beauty.

(this is actually just a glitch. Unlike most games I don't have a separate render pass for the player. It saves me time since I use ai powered animations)

kitler53

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

I've been playing fetch in Hapax for the last 10 minutes.

Gamers love dogs right?

Xevross

I've been playing fetch in Hapax for the last 10 minutes.

Gamers love dogs right?
Lets see, the only game that came out recently where you could play fetch with a doggo for as long as you wanted was TLOU2.

So, um, deleted the doggo or make the gamers mad. That's science, baby

Legend

Lets see, the only game that came out recently where you could play fetch with a doggo for as long as you wanted was TLOU2.

So, um, deleted the doggo or make the gamers mad. That's science, baby
Oh gosh I'm even more like TLOU2. You can murder this doggo by tossing it out an air lock.

Wonder how I got a PEGI 7 age rating.

Legend

Been a while, hasn't it?

Doing a lot of fine tuning and reworking things to make the game better. I've gone through a lot of iterations of a few core concepts and I've struggled with gameplay structure. It has been a battle of supporting casual play while embracing my vision.

As of this moment though, I'm feeling pretty good. I removed almost all structure and it's glorious.

Legend

Was time for a new thread title.

No spinning space stations here though.

Go Up