Hapax OT: Magnificent Desolation

Started by Legend, Dec 21, 2020, 03:29 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

SWORDF1SH

No haha.

I'll tease and market stuff from the first few hours, but everything else is off limits.
What if I promise to tell nobody anything?  :-X

Legend

What if I promise to tell nobody anything?  :-X
Instead, I'll just tease something else.

Hapax has multiple endings. Wow.

https://www.igdb.com/games/hapax

SWORDF1SH

the-pi-guy

:o
In fact it has 6 endings.
Here are 4 of them:

Spoiler for Hidden:
<br><br>The X+ ending of the map.<br>The X- ending of the map.<br>The Y+ ending of the map.<br>The Z- ending of the map.<br>

Legend

:o
Hapax is as authentic as possible so I can't force players down one specific path.

In fact I can't even force the game to end. After achieving a major ending, I use a button prompt to make sure the player is ready to relinquish control and cap off their adventure. It feels great but it also acts as a very very very last minute point of no return. (it's like a rocket launch aborting 2 seconds after the countdown reaches zero)

In fact it has 6 endings.
Here are 4 of them:

Spoiler for Hidden:

The X+ ending of the map.
The X- ending of the map.
The Y+ ending of the map.
The Z- ending of the map.

I'll actually spoil 4 real endings!  8)

Spoiler for Hidden:
<br>Player falls to death.<br>Player suffocates.<br>Player gets crushed to death.<br>Player freezes to death.<br>

Who knows, might get cut, but currently there's a funny meta game of finding all the bad endings.

Legend

"Hapax good, Myst good, The Witness good, but all three use a different method of puzzle design"
"No of course this is a joke"

I thought the steam page needed a more direct approach. You know, treat it like a game pitch with power point slides.

Legend

I think I finally cracked the opening to the game!

It's a super super small intro just to prep the player before they gain control, but I've struggled with it from day 1. Very hard to get the player to know the things they need to know without annoying them or hurting the intro's atmosphere.

It's just a few tweaks of what I've posted before, but they're powerful tweaks. Main thing is letting the player select the order they recall their memories, and then adding the inciting incident memory after all 3 have been selected.

Most games just give the player character amnesia or have prologues :P

EDT: got it set up. This will work! I still need to make a fourth image for the fourth memory but I have the other three. I really like the shader I made.

I think sound could also go well. Beach sound for the beach, mountain wind for the mountain, and something something for career and discovery. Save that for a later day though.

Legend

I redesigned the front page of the website.

Please let me know what you think. I don't expect the website to drive marketing, but I need it to look professional if someone comes here. The Hapax content will be updated later.

the-pi-guy

I redesigned the front page of the website.

Please let me know what you think. I don't expect the website to drive marketing, but I need it to look professional if someone comes here. The Hapax content will be updated later.
It definitely looks good.
But I feel like something about it bugs me.

Legend

It definitely looks good.
But I feel like something about it bugs me.
Phone or desktop?

the-pi-guy

I think I've looked at both.

The actual visuals look good. But I feel like scrolling feels a little off.

Legend

I think I've looked at both.

The actual visuals look good. But I feel like scrolling feels a little off.
Does Games -- Housemarque have the same issue for you?

the-pi-guy

Does Games -- Housemarque have the same issue for you?
No, that feels pretty smooth.

Not exactly sure what makes the difference.

Legend

No, that feels pretty smooth.

Not exactly sure what makes the difference.
I made a couple improvements and I tried a lot of different methods, but I think at this point it is what it is. At least I don't crash like Campo Santo - Firewatch often does  ::)

Still though, I wish I could get Create parallax scrolling with CSS - LogRocket Blog working. It can handle the parallax flawlessy but perspective gets disabled if I use overflow:hidden to hide the content within the game banner.

the-pi-guy

I made a couple improvements and I tried a lot of different methods, but I think at this point it is what it is. At least I don't crash like Campo Santo - Firewatch often does  ::)

Still though, I wish I could get Create parallax scrolling with CSS - LogRocket Blog working. It can handle the parallax flawlessy but perspective gets disabled if I use overflow:hidden to hide the content within the game banner.
It might be my sleep deprivation talking, but I feel like it looks better.

Go Up