What do you think of Star Wars prequel trilogy, modern Simpsons?

Started by the-pi-guy, May 05, 2017, 03:37 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

I read gaf threads about these movies, and I'm often confused by the complaints.
Like there was a thread about ridiculous lines in the Star Wars prequel trilogy, and I just didn't get a lot of the complaints.  Flat out confused about why certain lines were bad.  Although perhaps it's because I don't believe in cliches.  

10 years later, how do you feel about The Simpsons Movie then and now? - NeoGAF

The Simpsons are a monolith. Whether you're a huge Simpsons fan (me) or a casual one, whether you stand by the first 10 or so seasons (me) or still enjoy the new episodes, it's pretty hard to find someone out there that actually hates the Simpsons.
 In 2007, the Simpsons went to the big screen for the first time with The Simpsons movie./
 Harcore and casual fans alike came out to see the world's favorite yellow family finally go to cinemas. With a worldwide gross of around 530 million dollars, it was clear that was still a lot of love for the Simpsons. It was somewhat of phenomenon. It reignited many casual fan's love for the family, and garnered a lot of dicussion with the hardcore. It gained solid reviews, and generally speaking, the world seemed happy with the movie.
 So for any type of Simpsons fan, what did you think of the movie? Then, and now?
 For me, it's a bit of a mixed bag. On release I was very excited, but cautious. I hadn't kept up with the new seasons, but I was excited for this story. However, I knew I'd rather have them go to the big screen when the staff behind it was in it's prime, and was worried they would not be able to capture the original run's magic, and leave a strange impression on the world.
 I saw it and theaters, and enjoyed it quite a bit. I actually ended up seeing it 2 more times in theaters with other people. I thought it was good. If anything, I thought it was the best Simpsons "episode" I had seen in ages. There were certain things I wasn't 100% on, but generally I laughed a lot and came back a few times for those trademark Simpsons jokes that should always keep giving no matter how many times you hear them. It had a decent amount of that.
 Now? Now....it's weird. While I enjoyed my time with it on release,  I still noticed issues then that have just become more prevalent now. One of my biggest complaints I've had with many of the newer Simpsons episodes I had seen at that time, was just that Homer was not that likable. What used to be a caring family man that no matter how many things he did wrong, he always yearned to do the right thing and would do it in the end, started becoming something weird and dark. In newer episodes, I noticed Homer's redeeming qualities fade for the sake of crude humor or forced story telling. I feel as though while not as strong in the movie, he had some of these darker traits in it. Where he just kept going so far, not thinking of how it effected anyone around him, until a strange ritual made him snap back. He didn't go TOO far to that weird dark Homer in the movie, but enough to make me a bit uncomfortable with how they were handling him.
 Another thing, Russ Cargill. Albert Brooks is amazing, and did his work well with what he had, but....who was this guy? When you have Brooks voicing a villian and the villian is still extremely forgettable, you know you have a problem. Earlier drafts of the movie had the main antagonist as Hank Scorpio, (which if you don't know, please go watch "You Only Move Twice" right now it is possibly my favorite episode in the series period), and who of course would still be voiced by Brooks. This.... while it would take some plot adjustments (probably for the better), sounds so, so much better than what we got. Hank Scorpio in 22 minutes is infinitely more memorable and just a better character than what we got with Russ Cargill, and he had an enitre movie to show his character.
 I could talk about it more, and keep in mind this is all coming from someone that hasn't seen it in years, (I think I'll watch it tonight), but wrapping up here, something about the Simpsons Movie is just....off. And it's not just about the humor, which I understand is subjective and I see it as a bit of a mixed bag of classic Simpsons humor and new Simpsons humor. I don’t think the movie is bad, I definitely think there's enjoyment to be had. But for a series that is so, so dear to so many people for a multitude of reasons, the main problem with the movie is that it didn't leave as much of an impact as the series deserved. Sure it made a lot of money, but looking back now, even the story itself doesn't seem too far outside of a standard Simpsons episode. It didn't feel as though it warrented a movie, which is not what should be the case for a series that had been on the air for over 15 years at that point.  
 Even though it took them forever to bring the Simpsons to the big screen, it somehow still felt rushed. That I think was the biggest problem.

On this, I really enjoyed the Simpsons movie.  And I don't understand a lot of the complaints here either.  The responses makes it seem like if something isn't funny, then it's automatically a bad Simpson's episode.  
I don't really watch too many episodes, but I still find myself enjoying episodes even if I don't find them funny.  

Legend

I don't believe in cliches
Like you just don't mind them or you don't think they're real?

This is the big news of the thread  :o

Anyway I thought the simpsons movie was meh at release. I remember seeing it in theaters and having an "oh ok I guess" reaction. It was funny at parts but it also had meh parts. Looking back though I mostly only remember the good parts so it works out.

I like the modern Simpsons and watch them from time to time. They still have good jokes and are so much smarter than Family Guy and the like.

Star Wars prequels were good. I've always enjoyed them just as much as the originals, but I'm young and watched them all around the same time as a set instead of being two generations. Parts of the old star wars are so bad but nobody cares since that cringe is nostalgic. Kinda feels like the prequels are starting to get this too.

Much better than episode 7. Prequels at least showed a completely different element of Star Wars and didn't play it safe. Also general grievous deserved way more screen time. He was legit awesome.

Xevross

I think the prequels are decent. Sure there's some cheesy lines and the plot isn't that great but I think they're not bad films. I love star wars so I'm happy to watch them anyway.

I remember thinking the Simpsons movie was good. I don't know if it was super funny or not but I enjoyed it.

Modern Simpsons though I barely ever find funny and I don't watch it.

GAF tends to hate a lot of things. It's weird how they often conform to one opinion on there. Like for some reason Dragon Age Inquisition is objectively bad.

darkknightkryta

I have yet to watch the Simpsons movie

the-pi-guy

Like you just don't mind them or you don't think they're real?
Mostly the former.  
But the definition is basically an overused phrase.  But overused is a generic phrase.  When does something become overused?  Who decides that?
If I've never heard something used before, is it still cliche?  
Things get used a lot because they sound good.  

But mostly I don't mind them.