The Gaming Community Thread! Multiplats and the like are welcome.

Started by Legend, Apr 23, 2015, 01:12 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

nnodley

Started the Double Fine documentary last night. Love seeing how much sometimes even the pros don't know what they are doing and just rolling with it

Legend

Started the Double Fine documentary last night. Love seeing how much sometimes even the pros don't know what they are doing and just rolling with it

Didn't know about this. Will have to watch.

nnodley

It's a great dive into Double Fine. I'm on episode 3

nnodley

I'm about halfway into the Double Fine documentary now.  I feel like its an absolute miracle that Double Fine has even made it this far. lol.  Their game dev for psychonauts 2 looks absolutely mad and chaotic, but maybe most studios are fairly similar, idk. But wow its amazing seeing the behind the scenes.  And oddly it doesn't push me away from the idea of building up a studio.  It drives me more to want to and have that creative control.  My absolute only fear is the business side and making sure you'd be able to make payroll for anyone you have on your team.

the-pi-guy

A lot of games have elemental systems.

Like Final Fantasy games often have Fire beats Ice and vice versa. And Water beats lightning and vice versa; depending on who is attacking.

It seems like there's something very appealing about having types/classes based on elements, and yet they're constructions that at best partially match reality; but never fully.

I think you either have to sacrifice realism, go for a subset of those classes, or go for unbalanced experiences.

Or perhaps invent some of your own elements.  

Legend

A lot of games have elemental systems.

Like Final Fantasy games often have Fire beats Ice and vice versa. And Water beats lightning and vice versa; depending on who is attacking.

It seems like there's something very appealing about having types/classes based on elements, and yet they're constructions that at best partially match reality; but never fully.

I think you either have to sacrifice realism, go for a subset of those classes, or go for unbalanced experiences.

Or perhaps invent some of your own elements.  

One of my oldest game concepts was a fighting game where you could switch between elemental versions of different characters. The "novel" concept was that instead of a binary switch, you would fully control your seamless substate between 4 elements using an analogue stick. So like by being 50% fire and 50% water your character would have properties of both aka steam. By switching at the correct time in the correct way, you could carry the "momentum" of one element into another for a special attack.

I went pretty wild with all the random elements I came up with. Really scraped the bottom of the barrel lol.

the-pi-guy

Mar 19, 2023, 06:39 PM Last Edit: Mar 19, 2023, 06:41 PM by the-pi-guy
Lol.

I had a similar thing, except with the directional buttons.

And it was more of a Skyrim type game.

Legend

the-pi-guy

I have only played like 3 horror games, and none of them are indies.

But:
"Random writing on the wall explains how monster's work"
this sounds like a fun thing to do, especially if it's done with some cleverness.  

Legend

especially if it's done with some cleverness.  
That's the problem right there. Why be clever when you can just throw blood/ink on a wall with a very direct message and call it a day?

I haven't played that many horror games but I've watched a lot of playthroughs of indies.

Legend

kitler53

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

kitler53

i didn't see anything specific to platforms announced.  with games like portal going to consoles anyone think this will end up on xbox/ps?

the-pi-guy

i didn't see anything specific to platforms announced.  with games like portal going to consoles anyone think this will end up on xbox/ps?
Nvidia was involved with the Switch Portal conversion. Not exactly sure who initiated.

But I've yet to see Valve put something on consoles by themselves in recent years.  So I'm not getting my hopes up.

kitler53

Nvidia was involved with the Switch Portal conversion. Not exactly sure who initiated.

But I've yet to see Valve put something on consoles by themselves in recent years.  So I'm not getting my hopes up.

I was referencing more orange box and portal 2 and left for dead.  

Yes, those are old but also valve doesn't really make games anymore.   What has valve made since those?   half life alyx?… i think there are very valid technical reason as to why that didn't come to psvr or meta quest.  

Go Up