PlayStation Studios Development

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 27, 2015, 08:29 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

kitler53

I hate losing access to games so I won't upgrade
I've realized I'm in the wrong thread,..  meant to post in the general ps thread not the dev studios thread. 

and I agreee.  also like 90% of my wishlist isn't on either ps teir.   ...but the most expensive ones are.  miles morales. returnal. horizon.  would be cheaper to play them via extra but I don't know that I'd actually get to them before they leave.  

torn. looking for input.  it's not like $30 costs that much...

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Era: interview with God of War Raf

My highlights for non-Portuguese speakers:
- +800 developers at the peak of Ragnarok development
- "there's a lot going on in the studio"
- most Sony studios prefer to make their own engines and exchange a lot of information between them. Culture is Sony's great differentiator from the other studios he has worked for
- dream of directing a game in the future
- Insomniac is absurd, "makes you angry" in a good way

the-pi-guy

Guerilla Games:
- Horizon remaster
- Horizon 2 DLC
- Horizon VR
- Horizon Online

Santa Monica:
- Cory's game
- What else?

They said not to expect DLC.

Naughty Dog:
- TLOU Online
- What else? (Presumably either new IP/TLOU 3/Uncharted 5?)

Insomniac:
- Wolverine
- Spiderman 2

the-pi-guy

Sony will not limit applications to certain genres, studio sizes or non-competitive platforms such as PC, with the aim to incubate a diverse group of games that will increase its portfolio size and the appeal of its PlayStation brand both in China and globally.

The first two phases delivered mixed results with 3 titles cancelled and several titles delayed. There are titles from the first phase, such as Project Boundary and Lost Soul Aside, that have yet to release. A lack of direct publishing support from Sony and development support from PlayStation Studios were two missing factors that are now being integrated into phase 3.

As China's large game companies have looked to expand to console, PC, and the global games market, they have identified key China Hero Project developers as investment targets. Tencent has invested in Surgical Scalpels Studio (Project Boundary) and TiGames, while Rocketpunch Games has received investment from G-Bits and Bilibili.

The China Hero Project also fits into Sony's global gaming strategy to offer a robust portfolio of titles on PlayStation through strategic partnerships and acquisitions.

Sony has been working towards the launch of phase 3 for some time now. It is continuing to work with key partners such as Epic Games China, CRIware and Digital Hearts to ensure developers in the project can obtain the right resources and training to create higher quality games. Two new Shanghai based audio production teams will also join the list of partners to provide support to games in the project. Sony announced that it had established a China Software Business Department on June 1, 2022, to be led by Sean Kelly who has over 30 years of development and publishing experience. The company announced that Sean Kelly would also lead a China Game Production team to oversee operations in China and bring Chinese games to the global market. Sony Interactive Entertainment Shanghai as a whole has grown to nearly 100 employees since its establishment in 2014.

kitler53

china is uninvestible.   stay out sony.

BananaKing

china is uninvestible.   stay out sony.
I dont think they are pouring that much money into it. But certainly if it pans out it can make them a lot of money.

Its a very difficult market though due to the government. And at any moment they can decide to ban stuff

the-pi-guy

It's definitely a screwy market, but it's a market that contains ~1/5th of the world's population.

the-pi-guy

I have to imagine SIE will be there.

BananaKing

It's definitely a screwy market, but it's a market that contains ~1/5th of the world's population.
And one that contains money too. There is a lot of money in china

the-pi-guy

It's definitely a mixed bag, huge market, but there would definitely be more government oversight to put it lightly.

But it would be interesting if Sony had a development studio in China.

kitler53

china as a whole has money but that money divided by population is quite low.   basically they are poor and luxurys like consoles are out of reach of most Chinese people.  the market that sony can reach is much smaller than you think.

that and with the protests going on most of chinese youth will be run over by a tank soon...

BananaKing

china as a whole has money but that money divided by population is quite low.   basically they are poor and luxurys like consoles are out of reach of most Chinese people.  the market that sony can reach is much smaller than you think.

that and with the protests going on most of chinese youth will be run over by a tank soon...

There is a lot of poor. But there is a lot of rich too. Its the second highest country for number of millionares and second in number of billionares.

It also has a middle class of 400 million. Thats about 60-70 million more than USA entire population.

Its a huge market

kitler53

There is a lot of poor. But there is a lot of rich too. Its the second highest country for number of millionares and second in number of billionares.

It also has a middle class of 400 million. Thats about 60-70 million more than USA entire population.

Its a huge market
in America middle class means and income of $43-103k.  in China middle class means 100-300k yaun meaning $14-40k.  china's middle class = America's poor.  

a console is still a big purchase to china's middle class.  I visited the home of a middle class Chinese colleague and I promise you,.. it's not much. 

Legend

Guerilla Games:
- Horizon remaster
- Horizon 2 DLC
- Horizon VR
- Horizon Online

Santa Monica:
- Cory's game
- What else?

They said not to expect DLC.

Naughty Dog:
- TLOU Online
- What else? (Presumably either new IP/TLOU 3/Uncharted 5?)

Insomniac:
- Wolverine
- Spiderman 2

Guerilla is definitely working on Horizon 3 too.

They're working on a lot of different projects simultaneously. Plus I wonder if there was any truth to the killzone rumors.

BananaKing

What killzone rumors?

Go Up