PlayStation Studios Development

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 27, 2015, 08:29 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

DerNebel

Didn't Sucker Punch say that they wanted to stay a one game at a time studio (something I think is a bummer, I'd like all first party studios to be 2 game studios at least)? But I do find it interesting how much Sucker Punch has already grown again, makes it kinda weird that all those people were let go in the first place. Still, if they are going open world then they'll need more people, I've only played Infamous 1 and watched large parts of Second Son on Youtube, but huge problems of those imo are that their open worlds just don't feel very interesting and don't give you that much to do.

Infamous is one franchise that I've thought about quite a few things that would to me make the games a lot better and I think also more successful before, but all of them would require manpower and a budget that up to this point the studio has not gotten I think.

Xevross

Didn't Sucker Punch say that they wanted to stay a one game at a time studio (something I think is a bummer, I'd like all first party studios to be 2 game studios at least)? But I do find it interesting how much Sucker Punch has already grown again, makes it kinda weird that all those people were let go in the first place. Still, if they are going open world then they'll need more people, I've only played Infamous 1 and watched large parts of Second Son on Youtube, but huge problems of those imo are that their open worlds just don't feel very interesting and don't give you that much to do.

Infamous is one franchise that I've thought about quite a few things that would to me make the games a lot better and I think also more successful before, but all of them would require manpower and a budget that up to this point the studio has not gotten I think.
Yeah even though Infamous is open world I wouldn't consider it a proper open world game. There's very little open world content, just lots of the sae thing repeated over and over again. There's no real side quests or NPCs to talk to.

Still an excellent game though

darkknightkryta

Festival of Blood I think worked better as one.  The world was lively, plus all those secret vampires to kill.  I regret not trying to put some time into it this year for Halloween.

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

Updated OP, hopefully I didn't miss anything.

Legend

Guerilla is helping out with Death Stranding so you could add that.

BananaKing

so after not announcing anything this year, and most likely going to announce their game at E3 2017, with an early 2018 release at the earliest. i think sucker punch has moved on from infamous. i think they are either making a new IP, or a Marvel game (thats most likely Iron Man). by early 2018 it would have been 4 years since Infamous Second Son. they already had released on PS4 and had an engine ready on it.

DerNebel

so after not announcing anything this year, and most likely going to announce their game at E3 2017, with an early 2018 release at the earliest. i think sucker punch has moved on from infamous. i think they are either making a new IP, or a Marvel game (thats most likely Iron Man). by early 2018 it would have been 4 years since Infamous Second Son. they already had released on PS4 and had an engine ready on it.
I don't think Sucker Punch is making a licensed game, Spider-Man is exclusive but I think Marvel will want most of their games to be multiplats.

BananaKing

I don't think Sucker Punch is making a licensed game, Spider-Man is exclusive but I think Marvel will want most of their games to be multiplats.
honestly i hope they arent. but with Spiderman being announced Marvel did say they want the best studios working on their games, and they are taking a new approach for their games. i think partnering up with Sony, a dominant force in the gaming industry and a publisher with great relations with third party devs, could be a big part of that strategy. specially if sony was open to it.

basically they would use Sonys experience and connections to make the games, make good quality ones, and market and publish them. at least for the short term to establish their presence in the gaming industry to a similar (but obviously not as dominant) as they are in the movie industry.

darkknightkryta

honestly i hope they arent. but with Spiderman being announced Marvel did say they want the best studios working on their games, and they are taking a new approach for their games. i think partnering up with Sony, a dominant force in the gaming industry and a publisher with great relations with third party devs, could be a big part of that strategy. specially if sony was open to it.

basically they would use Sonys experience and connections to make the games, make good quality ones, and market and publish them. at least for the short term to establish their presence in the gaming industry to a similar (but obviously not as dominant) as they are in the movie industry.
I'd have agreed if Marvel vs Capcom Infinite wasn't going to Xbox One.  I just think Sony secured the license for Spider-man games when they renegotiated their movie deal.  I mean, Spider-man franchise is the only other successful super hero games (There's Marvel vs Capcom, but that's a bit different).  So I would assume Sony would lock it down if they had the chance.

Kerotan

3 things to say.  

1. I'm really curious about Sucker Punch.  Second Son sold really well and was well received but I think the best thing for the franchise would be a rest.  The studio should make either a new IP or a licensed game.  If they got their hands on something like Iron Man or Superman it would be huge for them and Sony.

2. Cambridge.  I'm also really interested on this.  Their Killzone Mercenary game was possibly the best mobile console shooter ever.  Exceptional.  That should be ported to ps4 for starters.  But would I like them working on a new Ip?  I'm not so sure.  They're not really established enough yet.  I'd prefer them taking the safer option and doing killzone again.  That way the series stays alive and it will probably sell 2m+ so it would be profitable.  And I'd trust them to make a better killzone then guerilla anyway. If it's successful,  let them move onto a new Ip.  

3. God of War and The last of us 2. If you asked me when I thought these would release I'd say God of war March 2018 and TLOU2 summer 2018. But it just seems too close together for 2 mega exclusives.  We know Sony don't like releasing them before the holidays because consumers wait for BF and expect to get everything discounted.  It devalues your product.  I just can't see either releasing in December though.  And I can't really see either being ready next year anyway.  

So will Sony really release both first half of 2018? God of War end of February.  TLOU2 4 months later in June?  Would be a killer start to the year.  They'd all sell extremely well at full price and then they can get their discounted sales on BF and the holidays when enough time has passed. Probably makes the most sense revenue wise from Sony.

End of February/March is busy for games but GOW would have no problems selling.  June and the summer are usually very quiet so TLOU2 would get maximum coverage and with the hype would be insane.  It would sell a lot then with nothing to overshadow it or compete.  

Those are my thoughts.  Anybody agree or disagree?

BananaKing

3 things to say.  

1. I'm really curious about Sucker Punch.  Second Son sold really well and was well received but I think the best thing for the franchise would be a rest.  The studio should make either a new IP or a licensed game.  If they got their hands on something like Iron Man or Superman it would be huge for them and Sony.

2. Cambridge.  I'm also really interested on this.  Their Killzone Mercenary game was possibly the best mobile console shooter ever.  Exceptional.  That should be ported to ps4 for starters.  But would I like them working on a new Ip?  I'm not so sure.  They're not really established enough yet.  I'd prefer them taking the safer option and doing killzone again.  That way the series stays alive and it will probably sell 2m+ so it would be profitable.  And I'd trust them to make a better killzone then guerilla anyway. If it's successful,  let them move onto a new Ip.  

3. God of War and The last of us 2. If you asked me when I thought these would release I'd say God of war March 2018 and TLOU2 summer 2018. But it just seems too close together for 2 mega exclusives.  We know Sony don't like releasing them before the holidays because consumers wait for BF and expect to get everything discounted.  It devalues your product.  I just can't see either releasing in December though.  And I can't really see either being ready next year anyway.  

So will Sony really release both first half of 2018? God of War end of February.  TLOU2 4 months later in June?  Would be a killer start to the year.  They'd all sell extremely well at full price and then they can get their discounted sales on BF and the holidays when enough time has passed. Probably makes the most sense revenue wise from Sony.

End of February/March is busy for games but GOW would have no problems selling.  June and the summer are usually very quiet so TLOU2 would get maximum coverage and with the hype would be insane.  It would sell a lot then with nothing to overshadow it or compete.  

they did that in 2013. with GOW:A in March and TLoU in June.

DerNebel

3 things to say. 

1. I'm really curious about Sucker Punch.  Second Son sold really well and was well received but I think the best thing for the franchise would be a rest.  The studio should make either a new IP or a licensed game.  If they got their hands on something like Iron Man or Superman it would be huge for them and Sony.

2. Cambridge.  I'm also really interested on this.  Their Killzone Mercenary game was possibly the best mobile console shooter ever.  Exceptional.  That should be ported to ps4 for starters.  But would I like them working on a new Ip?  I'm not so sure.  They're not really established enough yet.  I'd prefer them taking the safer option and doing killzone again.  That way the series stays alive and it will probably sell 2m+ so it would be profitable.  And I'd trust them to make a better killzone then guerilla anyway. If it's successful,  let them move onto a new Ip. 

3. God of War and The last of us 2. If you asked me when I thought these would release I'd say God of war March 2018 and TLOU2 summer 2018. But it just seems too close together for 2 mega exclusives. We know Sony don't like releasing them before the holidays because consumers wait for BF and expect to get everything discounted.  It devalues your product.  I just can't see either releasing in December though.  And I can't really see either being ready next year anyway. 

So will Sony really release both first half of 2018? God of War end of February.  TLOU2 4 months later in June?  Would be a killer start to the year.  They'd all sell extremely well at full price and then they can get their discounted sales on BF and the holidays when enough time has passed. Probably makes the most sense revenue wise from Sony.

End of February/March is busy for games but GOW would have no problems selling.  June and the summer are usually very quiet so TLOU2 would get maximum coverage and with the hype would be insane.  It would sell a lot then with nothing to overshadow it or compete. 

Those are my thoughts.  Anybody agree or disagree?
I most definitely don't agree with the bolded. I really, really think that people need to stop acting like there is some tactical plan behind Sony not releasing their games in the holidays, they simply aren't able to get them out on time.

Oh and about Cambridge, with them I'm currently worried that they might get closed by Sony since Rigs seems to have done so poorly even for a VR game.

Legend

Yup Mercenary was great! An HD port to PS4 would be awesome! I was in the top 500 best players or something back on Vita, but that's not too impressive when no one played it.

Raven

Dec 08, 2016, 04:37 PM Last Edit: Dec 08, 2016, 04:40 PM by Raven
I most definitely don't agree with the bolded. I really, really think that people need to stop acting like there is some tactical plan behind Sony not releasing their games in the holidays, they simply aren't able to get them out on time.

Oh and about Cambridge, with them I'm currently worried that they might get closed by Sony since Rigs seems to have done so poorly even for a VR game.
Doubt Cambridge is going away after RIGS. As far as I know, they didn't experience any immediate layoffs after their VR game released, unlike London Studio. RIGS had better critical reception than most VR titles it seems. There really aren't any titles that sold gangbusters from what I've heard and it wouldn't be fair in the least bit to blame them for not achieving sales that really no one has. Pretty hard to sell well when the highest selling big VR device, Sony's own, has only moved a couple hundred thousand.

Developing for VR is also a different beast and most studios are brand new at it. If Sony had any expectations of immediate greatness from anyone making VR games, they were purposefully stacking the deck against them.

As pointed out, Cambridge made a better Killzone game in Mercenary than Guerrilla did with Shadowfall. I also thought I heard that only a small team within Cambridge made RIGS while the rest worked on DLC for Shadowfall and began work on a game from "a multimillion selling franchise".

We'll probably find out within the next 12 months what's going on with them, but I wouldn't worry. London Studio is way more likely to get the axe, and rightfully so I feel.

Go Up