General Discussion Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 16, 2014, 06:00 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

Wtf.....

She should sue them for millions.

Resetera are a bunch of yucky ducks
For pointing out that she followed a transphobic twitter account?
That was/is true.

You can't sue someone for telling the truth.  

Also relevant here is that she put out a tweet herself intending to be transphobic. So it wasn't just "she followed the wrong twitter account".

Besides that, companies want to set up their image. It's kind of hard to market your rainbow logo during pride month, when the people that are in charge of your marketing are actively spreading homophobia/transphobia/etc.  

BananaKing

Jan 27, 2023, 10:16 PM Last Edit: Jan 27, 2023, 10:20 PM by BananaKing
For pointing out that she followed a transphobic twitter account?
That was/is true.

You can't sue someone for telling the truth. 

Also relevant here is that she put out a tweet herself intending to be transphobic. So it wasn't just "she followed the wrong twitter account".

Besides that, companies want to set up their image. It's kind of hard to market your rainbow logo during pride month, when the people that are in charge of your marketing are actively spreading homophobia/transphobia/etc. 
Its her personal account and the company has nothing to do with it.

She should sue her employers, not resetera. Resetera has no liability here 

Also, firing a person based on the ideals a site thats an eco chamber of extreme political views and censorship is not a logical or a good thing to do

the-pi-guy

Also, firing a person based on the ideals a site thats an eco chamber of extreme political views and censorship is not a logical or a good thing to do
Companies are allowed to decide they don't want to be associated with transphobia.

BananaKing

Companies are allowed to decide they don't want to be associated with transphobia.
Companies aren't allowed to fire people over matters in their personal lifes, specially ones that have zero association with the company.

Nobody looked at those tweets and thought "omg limited run games is supporting this". Her dismissal is completely illogical

the-pi-guy

Companies aren't allowed to fire people over matters in their personal lifes, specially ones that have zero association with the company.
This is completely wrong in the US, which is at-will employment everywhere. The US doesn't have the employment protections that the UK or other countries have.

There are certain protected classes like race, naughtiness, etc. But aside from those things, you can fire anyone for any reason.

Social media is a huge reason for firing people. Get drunk, and post about it on your social media, companies could let you go for that.

kitler53

Nobody looked at those tweets and thought "omg limited run games is supporting this". Her dismissal is completely illogical
this is soo wrong at least here in america.  part of my onboarding training was a section specifically on how conduct in my personal life can reflect poorly on the company.  the quote was something like no headline will read "some guy did a thing" it will read "GE employee did a thing.  i was not instructed on what i could or could not do but i was told quite flat out that any conduct that brings negative attention to the company will result in my firing.

that was like 16 years ago btw.  long before "cancel culture" went mainstream.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

BananaKing

Jan 28, 2023, 12:16 AM Last Edit: Jan 28, 2023, 12:19 AM by BananaKing
This is completely wrong in the US, which is at-will employment everywhere. The US doesn't have the employment protections that the UK or other countries have.

There are certain protected classes like race, naughtiness, etc. But aside from those things, you can fire anyone for any reason.

Social media is a huge reason for firing people. Get drunk, and post about it on your social media, companies could let you go for that.
Well I guess you're right, companies in the US use at-will employment in most states. I went and read a bit about it now  

I can argue that that is iced up and turn this into an ethical debate, but im not really gonna get into a debate about how iced up America is. I think my stance is clear about how employee and employer relationships should be though, which was my original point.

this is soo wrong at least here in america.  part of my onboarding training was a section specifically on how conduct in my personal life can reflect poorly on the company.  the quote was something like no headline will read "some guy did a thing" it will read "GE employee did a thing.  i was not instructed on what i could or could not do but i was told quite flat out that any conduct that brings negative attention to the company will result in my firing.

that was like 16 years ago btw.  long before "cancel culture" went mainstream.
A persons personal life shouldn't have to anything to do with work. But as Pi pointed out to me, most if not all companies in the US use at will employment. So my original point of her suing her previous employers for millions seems unrealistic now.

Unless maybe she can spin it as sexism or something, which maybe the reason she was so reluctant to talk on the show

kitler53

I mean,.. if you want to approach it from a purely ethical PoV then we can debate.  

...but from a legal PoV she has no grounds for a lawsuit. 

BananaKing

I mean,.. if you want to approach it from a purely ethical PoV then we can debate.  

...but from a legal PoV she has no grounds for a lawsuit.
Na I was talking more legal point. Ethical isn't so black and white.

kitler53

Na I was talking more legal point. Ethical isn't so black and white.
well then I only have 1 response:

BananaKing

the-pi-guy

Just out of curiosity, is anyone else having issues with this page ?

Legend

When you're logged out, does it still happen?

Does it happen on all index pages like VizionEck Forum ?

the-pi-guy

Turns out I'm just special.  

Legend

Turns out I'm just special.  
Sorry for making you normal again

Go Up