General Discussion Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 16, 2014, 06:00 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

This happened a while ago, but this lady at Walmart was talking about how if you saved a quarter every day, you'd save over $10,000 in a year.  

When I pointed out that didn't make sense, she was confused.  0.25*365=91.25.  Not even a hundred dollars.  She said she didn't remember what the math on the Facebook post was.

The Facebook post was dumb though.  

It was basically save 25 cents day 1, 50 cents day 2, 75 cents day 3, etc.  That means by the end of the year, you're putting away almost $90 a day every day of the week.  

Which is kind of dumb.  If you're making enough money that you can still put away $90 after expenses, you probably don't need a savings plan involving quarters....

Legend

This happened a while ago, but this lady at Walmart was talking about how if you saved a quarter every day, you'd save over $10,000 in a year.  

When I pointed out that didn't make sense, she was confused.  0.25*365=91.25.  Not even a hundred dollars.  She said she didn't remember what the math on the Facebook post was.

The Facebook post was dumb though.  

It was basically save 25 cents day 1, 50 cents day 2, 75 cents day 3, etc.  That means by the end of the year, you're putting away almost $90 a day every day of the week.  

Which is kind of dumb.  If you're making enough money that you can still put away $90 after expenses, you probably don't need a savings plan involving quarters....

I'm pretty sure the original form of that thing was about interest, showing how a small amount of money can grow into a large amount. Guess it has been warped over the years since I first heard it.

the-pi-guy

I'm pretty sure the original form of that thing was about interest, showing how a small amount of money can grow into a large amount. Guess it has been warped over the years since I first heard it.
Yeah, I assumed it had something to do with interest.
I looked it up assuming the catch would be something like waiting so many years with interest.  

Instead there's a bunch of variations of the above.  
Like save a penny a day, 2, the next, etc.  
Save a dollar a week, 2 the next, etc.  

Legend

My dog is named Luna. Total coincidence but the anniversary of getting her is the 50th anniversary of the first Moon landing. What are the odds.

the-pi-guy

My dog is named Luna. Total coincidence but the anniversary of getting her is the 50th anniversary of the first Moon landing. What are the odds.
1 in 365.  ;)

Did your family name the dog?

Legend

1 in 365.  ;)

Did your family name the dog?
Yeah my sister came up with the name. My vote was for Daisy. If I came up with Luna then you'd think space was just on my mind and it wasn't fully random but nope.

Legend

At 19 minutes in the video

Constant acceleration does not mean an object would eventually pass the speed of light.

the-pi-guy

Perhaps the flat earthers were right.  :(

/s

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

Legend

We really need to figure out a way to regularly bring in new members. It's unrealistic to expect the same group of people to continuously stay just as engaged month over month for 5 years.

Twisty Puzzle Simulator gave us a small bump at the end of 2018 and my next game should give a much larger bump, but it'd still be nice to grow this as a general video game forum as well as a VizionEck game forum.

nnodley

We really need to figure out a way to regularly bring in new members. It's unrealistic to expect the same group of people to continuously stay just as engaged month over month for 5 years.

Twisty Puzzle Simulator gave us a small bump at the end of 2018 and my next game should give a much larger bump, but it'd still be nice to grow this as a general video game forum as well as a VizionEck game forum.
Considering most of use have stayed around for 5 years is pretty cool as it is though.

the-pi-guy

Legend

New twitter look is yucky.

Legend

Power is out again.

Go Up