Why is there no Ad Supported Free-to-Play on Consoles?

Started by kitler53, Oct 22, 2020, 07:44 PM

previous topic - next topic

kitler53

I mean, correct me if I am wrong here but..

Ad Supported free-to-play is a big thing on mobile:
- angry birds
- plants vs zombies
- bejeweled
- words with friends
- ect and whatever...  lots and lots of ad supported games

But to the best of my knowledge there isn't even 1 on consoles.  free-to-play on consoles are all supported by micro transactions.

I ask this there are quite a few games on consoles (or should be on consoles) that i think would be best supported by this model.  basically the board game
- uno
- monopoly
- catan

I'd never play $10 for uno on consoles (especially considering the physical cards are only $5) but I would a watch a few ADs to play a "family game night" with my extended family.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Never thought I'd see a day when someone is asking for ads in a video game.  

I need to sit down.

kitler53

Never thought I'd see a day when someone is asking for ads in a video game.  

I need to sit down.
not for all games.  not for most games.   but for "party games" i think it would be a better solution than everyone buying the game for $10 to $15.   I'm never going to convince my extended family to pay that for a few nights of gaming.

Legend

There are ads sometimes, but why only have ads? You can make more money with ads+microtransactions.

Also I think console ads are less profitable. Way less likely to have someone click on the ad and directly buy something.

Also also from personal experience... the backend for including smartphone like ads on consoles is way less developed. There isn't a huge catalogue of ads approved for console games and ready to go like on mobile.

kitler53

There are ads sometimes, but why only have ads? You can make more money with ads+microtransactions.

Also I think console ads are less profitable. Way less likely to have someone click on the ad and directly buy something.

Also also from personal experience... the backend for including smartphone like ads on consoles is way less developed. There isn't a huge catalogue of ads approved for console games and ready to go like on mobile.
well i asked why and you are giving me viable reasons to answer my question.   

g'day sir.

kitler53

but seriously,..

no reason a developer couldn't do both.  obviously angry birds and plants vs zombies has both as well.

i hadn't thought about the part of not having clickable ads.  i mean, ps4 does have a web browser but it's not well supported.  i suppose sony would need to do work here to make that happen.  I guess i was just thinking of "tv" style ads via netflix-like streaming.   want to play monopoly tonight?  sure thing,.. tonights gaming session is sponsered by Bounty: the quicker picker upper.