Science General Discussion

Started by Legend, Sep 02, 2014, 07:17 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

Well isn't time dilation something that supposedly happens to all objects once in deep space?  So wouldn't both be experiencing it, but just one would experience it more than the other?

Time dilation happens from both gravity and speed.

darkknightkryta

There is an area in space at 1k. What I'm saying is that right now, barring what appears to be inevitable for everything in the universe, absolute zero is impossible. There is no area in space this has happened and is not within our means to achieve. If absolute zero were achieved now naturally or artificially the scientific community would probably slam on the panic button. Absolute zero will always be a theoretical temperature because measuring something causes it to be affected and if everything in the universe hit absolute zero there would be no way to measure anything.

That's the thing, it will take god knows how many years, but once the background radiation in the universe dissipates, it will become 0K.

Legend

The curvature of spacetime has something to do with time dilation imo.

That'd give objects a clear reference point that isn't relative.

Raven

That's the thing, it will take god knows how many years, but once the background radiation in the universe dissipates, it will become 0K.

You're talking about the "Big Freeze", right?

nnodley

The curvature of spacetime has something to do with time dilation imo.

That'd give objects a clear reference point that isn't relative.

I need to read up more on space-time and time dilation.  Cause I'm over her like DAFUQ???!?!?!?!?  LULZ

Legend

I need to read up more on space-time and time dilation.  Cause I'm over her like DAFUQ???!?!?!?!?  LULZ

Yeah it's all very interesting.

Start with understanding how gravity works. That's one of the simpler concepts to get you started.

7H3

is anything in the universe not in motion? the planet earth is moving, so by association everything on it is as well constantly. Does the sun move or rotate? Black holes?
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

Legend

is anything in the universe not in motion? the planet earth is moving, so by association everything on it is as well constantly. Does the sun move or rotate? Black holes?

Not in motion relative to what?

7H3

Not in motion relative to what?

are there no absolutes in the universe? I mean just like the idea of "absolute zero" is there such a thing as "absolute inertia"
If I have two rocks and throw one and not the other, that doesn't mean that the one not thrown is moving because I threw the other rock.
Motion as defined as movement, or moving, having force applied to it where it changes its physical space of occupancy in some way shape or form. Not necessarily relative to anything. However, such as instances on our planet where there is a base motion occurring to all things equally all the time I would say that counts as motion.

So can something perhaps in space be stabilized in and of its own with out being affected by external forces (or it being counteracted mechanically some how) to where its not moving period?

Legend

are there no absolutes in the universe? I mean just like the idea of "absolute zero" is there such a thing as "absolute inertia"
If I have two rocks and throw one and not the other, that doesn't mean that the one not thrown is moving because I threw the other rock.
Motion as defined as movement, or moving, having force applied to it where it changes its physical space of occupancy in some way shape or form. Not necessarily relative to anything. However, such as instances on our planet where there is a base motion occurring to all things equally all the time I would say that counts as motion.

So can something perhaps in space be stabilized in and of its own with out being affected by external forces (or it being counteracted mechanically some how) to where its not moving period?

There's absolutes, but absolute speed is not one of them.

If you were in a spaceship with no windows, you wouldn't be able to calculate speed. You can calculate and feel accelerations and therefore determine changes in speed, but that's it.

Xevross

If you were in a spaceship with no windows, you wouldn't be able to calculate speed. You can calculate and feel accelerations and therefore determine changes in speed, but that's it.

What? Who doesn't put a speedometer in a space ship? :P

Raven

Xevross

darkknightkryta

You're talking about the "Big Freeze", right?

No, I'm just remembering what my Astrophysics teacher taught us so I'm not sure what this "Big Freeze" is.  Space is supposed to be at 0K since it expands, it doesn't move.  But it's near 3K.  Which led scientists to believe that the 3K background radiation is the remnants from the Big Bang when it was still a singularity of infinite energy.  Though I was thinking about more and I'm unsure if that radiation will dissipate or not and the 3K might be a result of the universe thinning it out as it expands.  Thus it thinned out to 3K and should settle to an near 0 level but not at it.  Not sure what would be true, I'd have to ask a physicist on what would happen to the radiation.

@7H3 there is absolute 0 temperatures since math dictates this.  Raven was pointing out that its nigh impossible to actually produce that.  As far as max speed goes, the limit is technically C.  This is because there's no known way to instantaneously move something at above C.  Doesn't mean you can't go faster though ;)

7H3

hmm interesting thought about absolute speed though... I mean there are constants, like gravity and the speed of light, but I wouldn't call those "absolute speeds" either. If there is an absolute '0' is there an absolute max heat value? So I suppose I could pose the same question as per absolute inertia, could there also be an absolute speed? Time is a constant I'd say, but it does seem to be mostly relative in how we track time, but a moment passes regardless of how different the measures could be made to distinguish by how much it has passed.

To define an absolute speed we would need absolute parameters for measure in terms of time and distance. Temperature seems simpler in terms as it is merely a measure of a singular factor.

Again I pose the question, but in different terms: Is it possible for an object to exist with absolutely no external force being applied to it? Absolute inertia or 0 speed?

Go Up