Nikkei - Sony sets out to conquer entertainment world with anime (with multi-pronged strategy including games)

Started by the-pi-guy, Aug 12, 2020, 07:28 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Nikkei - Sony sets out to conquer entertainment world with anime (with multi-pronged strategy including games) | ResetEra

TOKYO - Sony will leverage the combined strength of the group companies to expand its animation business overseas, making it the fourth pillar of its entertainment portfolio after music, movies and games.

"Our group is keen to help bring Japanese cartoons to fans around the world," Sony Chairman Kenichiro Yoshida said at a strategy meeting on May 19., describing animation as a "company that embodies the 'One Sony' concept".  Click to expand... Click to shrink... 
Sony is betting on "Demon Slayer" for even more success. Aniplex President, Atsuhiro Iwakami, wants to make the series a centerpiece of Aniplex's prowess. It's already made the manga into a blockbuster anime, and will now follow with a movie version hitting theaters this summer. Sony's units will also turn the anime into games for mobile and PlayStation 4, with the ability to promote it overseas.

Anime units have gotten very competitive by focusing on strengths, with Animax highlighting what he calls the 4 Bones: On Air, On Demand, Ground, and Original Production. This strategy aims to maximize the value of intellectual property and increase average revenue per user. The main focus is on original production, with the company merging different teams in July to build that capacity.  Click to expand... Click to shrink... 
Aniplex acquired a stake in French streaming service provider Wakanim in 2015 and purchased Australian distribution company Madman Anime Group in 2017. Sony Pictures Television Networks, a US unit, purchased Funimation in the same year. Aniplex and SPT announced in September 2019 that they would merge the three companies and manage them as part of a joint venture in a face-to-face challenge with Disney and Netflix.

As part of a drastic organizational change slated for April 2021, Sony will be called Sony Group, with all units under one roof. This is intended to facilitate the development of individual businesses for the greater good. The anime should be the test case for whether the new approach works.

A strategy for the anime sector is already unfolding. In July, Sony invested $ 250 million in Epic Games, the US operator of the online multiplayer game Fortnite. The game has since evolved into a multimedia platform, with live music events built into the game.  Click to expand... Click to shrink... 

Link for further reading here: https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Me...out-to-conquer-entertainment-world-with-anime   
[/size]

kitler53

it wasn't that long ago that would have said sony is basically a hardware company (walkman, discman, tv, speakers, cameras, bluray, playstation) that dabbled in media.   these day sony feels like a media empire that dabbles in hardware.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

it wasn't that long ago that would have said sony is basically a hardware company (walkman, discman, tv, speakers, cameras, bluray, playstation) that dabbled in media.   these day sony feels like a media empire that dabbles in hardware.
I was literally thinking the same thing.

Dr. Pezus

It's a monster!! *horror movie music*

the-pi-guy

Oct 30, 2020, 10:30 AM Last Edit: Oct 30, 2020, 11:26 AM by the-pi-guy

Sony nears acquisition of US anime streaming service Crunchyroll -
                        Nikkei Asia

Sony has entered into final negotiations to acquire U.S. anime-streaming service Crunchyroll, Nikkei learned on Friday, a deal that could catapult the Japanese icon into a global battle with the likes of Netflix.

Sony could end up spending more than 100 billion yen ($957 million) on the U.S. streamer, gaining its 70 million members around the world

It seems natural that Sony will look into buying an anime production studio soon.

Legend

Microsoft buys bethesda.

Sony buys anime.

:P

the-pi-guy

Microsoft buys bethesda.

Sony buys anime.

:P
I think I know who won that battle.  8)  

kitler53

Sony nears acquisition of US anime streaming service Crunchyroll -
                        Nikkei Asia

a deal that could catapult the Japanese icon into a global battle with the likes of Netflix.
It seems natural that Sony will look into buying an anime production studio soon.
while technically a streaming service,.. i really don't see a battle here.  netflix is massive and anime is globally niche.   unless sony is planning to expand the service to include sony picture's entire back catalog,.. these services are hardly in competition.

the-pi-guy

while technically a streaming service,.. i really don't see a battle here.  netflix is massive and anime is globally niche.   unless sony is planning to expand the service to include sony picture's entire back catalog,.. these services are hardly in competition.
They brought up the comparison because Crunchyroll has 73 million users. I'm not sure how many Funimation has.

Issue is, most of those 73 million aren't subscribing, although they do generate ad revenue.

kitler53

They brought up the comparison because Crunchyroll has 73 million users. I'm not sure how many Funimation has.

Issue is, most of those 73 million aren't subscribing, although they do generate ad revenue.
commercials?

waaay more users than i would have expected but if there is a free teir then i guess i shouldn't be that surprised.

the-pi-guy

commercials?

waaay more users than i would have expected but if there is a free teir then i guess i shouldn't be that surprised.
Commercials yeah.

darkknightkryta

Oct 31, 2020, 09:40 PM Last Edit: Oct 31, 2020, 09:44 PM by darkknightkryta

while technically a streaming service,.. i really don't see a battle here.  netflix is massive and anime is globally niche.   unless sony is planning to expand the service to include sony picture's entire back catalog,.. these services are hardly in competition.
I would imagine he was the store manager, but a guy at the HMV at the mall where I have my part time job said "I don't know why the other stores don't stock much anime.  Yes its expensive, but it sells".  I would imagine, while niche, you can get good revenue from Crunchyroll.  Though, I don't think they're worth 1 billion.

it wasn't that long ago that would have said sony is basically a hardware company (walkman, discman, tv, speakers, cameras, bluray, playstation) that dabbled in media.   these day sony feels like a media empire that dabbles in hardware.
There's not much to hardware anymore.  Though, I do think they should be more aggressive with their semi conductor business.  I mean, I was buying some SMD capacitors from Panasonic and godamn they were expensive.  They could make a fortune just from smd parts.

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

kitler53

i just don't know about this.