Publisher complains about Platform X (PlayStation)

Started by the-pi-guy, Jun 30, 2021, 01:31 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

kitler53

well now legend needs to comment on this.   don't forget to use the / member tag or whatever it is so you don't burn any bridges yourself.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

I posted this, wanting to hear people's thoughts, as it was posted on Era.

But really these kinds of posts suck, especially on sites like Era.

Most people don't have any kind of context for what any of this means. Just like that post about cross play, we don't have any idea what the impact of these policies are or if other companies have nearly identical policies.  

Like the $25,000 fee he's talking about for getting featured.  How important is it to get featured (ie, is that the only avenue)? Does that fee ever get waived, does that fee even usually apply? Do other companies have a slightly different but basically equivalent fee?

Saying "Sony asks for $25k for this" isn't the same as "Sony asks for $25k for this, while MS asks for $20k".  

The former sounds absolutely unreasonable, while the latter sounds perfectly reasonable. And of course now that these tweets are posted, hundreds or thousands of people on Era and other websites are complaining about something that they don't have any context for.  

Is this business as usual or is it really bad or is it a little bad? Who knows!?

Dr. Pezus

Sounds like communication errors mostly.

kitler53

I posted this, wanting to hear people's thoughts, as it was posted on Era.

But really these kinds of posts suck, especially on sites like Era.

Most people don't have any kind of context for what any of this means. Just like that post about cross play, we don't have any idea what the impact of these policies are or if other companies have nearly identical policies.  

Like the $25,000 fee he's talking about for getting featured.  How important is it to get featured (ie, is that the only avenue)? Does that fee ever get waived, does that fee even usually apply? Do other companies have a slightly different but basically equivalent fee?

Saying "Sony asks for $25k for this" isn't the same as "Sony asks for $25k for this, while MS asks for $20k".  

The former sounds absolutely unreasonable, while the latter sounds perfectly reasonable. And of course now that these tweets are posted, hundreds or thousands of people on Era and other websites are complaining about something that they don't have any context for.  

Is this business as usual or is it really bad or is it a little bad? Who knows!?

yeah, that bit was the weirdest.   sony has thousands of games available and they can't promote them all.   and really, isn't promotion the job of the publisher?  to me that just sounds like an indie dev not understanding they aren't the center of the universe.  sounds very entitled to me.

ditto for the "cross play" thing.   at a 85% multiplier i think it is reasonably fair that if 50% of the people are playing on playstation but only 20% of microtractions were payed for via psn that they'd demand a payment.   that's the fairest way i can think of to support cross platform play that i can think of.   

i do think it is unfair a developer has so little control on price/discounts.   i get sony controlling the sales a bit due to them grouping by "type" but it shouldn't be invitation only.  maybe the developer doesn't get to pick which sale they are included in but they should be able to be included in something.    

kitler53

@Legend - we're all waiting for you...

Legend

Ok fine I'll post here.

kitler53

Ok fine I'll post here.
wow, that was both insightful and damning.  I just might get rid of my ps5 after hearing all that.  

SWORDF1SH

wow, that was both insightful and damning.  I just might get rid of my ps5 after hearing all that.  
He definitely burnt his bridges with Sony...I mean, "platform x".

kitler53

He definitely burnt his bridges with Sony...I mean, "platform x".
it's just a good thing he put his response into that hidden tag.   oh boy if sony could read that directly...   ...they'd probably come for his first born child.

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

This is getting a lot of attention now.  A Bloomberg article, a pushsquare article, a few others.  

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

General views:
- Sony's support is understaffed
- certain things are more difficult (like discounts)
- indies don't know the process
- indies feel like Sony's marketing doesn't help them
- Sony's store makes things difficult

the-pi-guy

Honestly Sony needs to work on the PSN store. it has some glaring omissions and some issues.  

I just tried searching for Ghost of Tsushima, first thing was the upgrade and the multiplayer.  No game for the upgrade to go with.

And then pages of matches with the word "of".