PlayStation Studios Development

Viewing single post

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 27, 2015, 08:29 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

I feel really bad for Media Molecule, 2 months after launch and Dreams has been played by a maximum 450k people, its doing awfully. I pretty much stopped playing it completely, its basically just a clusterfuck of early access games of varying quality (with the best being still nowhere near the quality of most real games).

More and more I feel like Dreams was a terrible idea and Sony were dumb to greenlight it. That being said, if MM had put it out in a couple of years with better quality it might have still made good money. I'm absolutely baffled as to how this took 6 years and why MM's "story mode" is only a low quality 3 hour mini story.
It's a great game engine. It could end up making billions.

As a game though, it's Frankenstein's monster. What even is this thing? Why should people buy it?

LittleBigPlanet worked so well because it was a great game without ugc and the ugc felt like free DLC. Some user made stuff was crazy "total conversion" stuff but it mostly fit together.

Dreams however is a service. Very few people will buy it for the story. Instead it's a $40 gamepass for an indie scene. If the games are great it's great but if the games are bad it's bad.

Imo they need to focus on improving the games. Make it so registered PlayStation devs can easily export their games into native PS5 games. Sell them in the store like regular games. Take a cut of the profit or let the game assets be free inside Dreams for remixing. Or something else.

Devs just need a reason to put thousands of hours into Dreams professionally.

At the very least they could let devs shill their patreon.