The gaming industry is dead. MS to buy Activision for 70 billion

Started by BananaKing, Jan 18, 2022, 01:41 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

BananaKing

70 billion to keep CoD on playstation?

Of course sony has the marketing deals, But after those run out, is CoD going to remain on PS?

the-pi-guy

Of course sony has the marketing deals, But after those run out, is CoD going to remain on PS?
I would imagine the marketing deal lasts a few years.

It's probably a PlayStation 6 problem, not a PS5 problem.

It's not like this acquisition was just CoD.
They also get a huge mobile developer.

kitler53

Jan 20, 2022, 10:05 PM Last Edit: Jan 20, 2022, 10:07 PM by kitler53
1. I wish i knew what "existing agreements" means.

2. "out desire to keep CoD on playstation" has a lot of room to be a lie.   "we wanted to stay on PS but they didn't allow gamepass as the only way to play the game".   or "the old CoD games are still on ps"

...but if CoD keeps releasing on playstation until at least the end of the ps5 generation then i'm a lot more okay with this acquisition.    imagine a world where sony and MS agree to launch all of their first party on each other's machines.  woof.

to add on to Pi's comment.

a lot of activation is PC centric like star craft.  i would feel no heartburn with MS getting that onto their console but not going to playstation.  diablo now has some presence on playstation but as far as franchises go it's not the end of the world to miss out on it.   no one on consoles gives a crud about king or WoW.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

BananaKing

Jan 20, 2022, 10:14 PM Last Edit: Jan 20, 2022, 10:16 PM by BananaKing
Im now convinced Phil Spencer has the best devil's flute skills in human history. How on earth can he convince his boss to do all this, when its his job to build a first party

70 billion on Activision
8.5 billion on Bethesda
2.5 billion on Minecraft
Buying spree of ninja theory, obsidian, playground games (this one is completely justified due to their success with each other), and I think double fine? Hard to keep up

His time in charge he mismanaged halo and 343 clearly can't handle the franchise and make it reach its potential
Halo 5 was a big disappointment.
Halo MCC was a huge mess
Halo infinite was a mess

Gears of War seriously declined in popularity. From one of the biggest exclusives in gaming, to something that's barely important

Lionhead shut down. Ever wild is clearly done. Crackdown was a mess. Scalebound cancelled.

Under his management weve seen forza horizon become the truly one big success story. There are others like ori, state of decay, and cuphead, but those are minor successes and nothing major. In the same generation the competition released hits like God of war, Tlou2, horizon, spiderman, spiderman MM, ghost and grew their first party considerably, without spending a fraction of what Spencer has now 

His management of his first party IP and studios has been mediocre at best, and atrocious at many times, yet somehow he was given nearly 100 billion to buy studios.

So I know what I want next Christmas, because getting promoted like this when you suck, only can happen when you truly suck

Dr. Pezus

Cod sells the most on playstation. MS likes money. It's straightforward heh

BananaKing

MS doesnt like money, they have money, they have more money than some countries do.

What MS likes, and always has liked, is power. You wouldn't throw 70 billion away for games youre already getting if you like money. MS likes power over the consumer, power over partners, and power over competitors. Its their business model, always has been since the early days Windows released and they used tactics to regain a monopoly.

Dr. Pezus

MS doesnt like money, they have money, they have more money than some countries do.

What MS likes, and always has liked, is power. You wouldn't throw 70 billion away for games youre already getting if you like money. MS likes power over the consumer, power over partners, and power over competitors. Its their business model, always has been since the early days Windows released and they used tactics to regain a monopoly.
Well it's one of the biggest companies in the world for a reason. They see value in this and I doubt a few million subs would make up for the huge loss in sales if it doesn't release on playstation.

Maybe their goal is to "kill" playstation next gen and get their monopoly but for now they will want the PlayStation sales

nnodley

Jan 20, 2022, 10:35 PM Last Edit: Jan 20, 2022, 10:37 PM by nnodley
Right. This deal just gives them an even greater revenue stream than them just putting it on their platform from another publisher.  They are the publisher/owners so they get a massive growth in the COD revenue stream.

and the amount of microtransactions in COD compared to something like elder scrolls which has none.  IMO it would be the absolute worst decision they could make by not keeping COD on playstation.  

And if it is mostly from a current deal, i could absolutely see Sony and MS cutting another deal to keep it on PS.

kitler53

@BananaKing

soo very true.  this is what gives me hope for playstation's future.  i mostly said this in another post but gaming isn't a decisive victory.  franchises rise and fall all the time.  studios form and close all the time.  all this money spent and the whole empire could collapse overnight with some mismanagement.   ....and spencer has overseen a lot of tragety in his first party.  i'm not sure i can blame him for all of it,.. he inherited a mess from don.   like,.. maybe crackdown is only half his fault.  

but regardless,.. he's buying spree as been mostly studios and IP that was on sale due to being a total mess.  seeing how he played his card with what Don dealt him doesn't give confidence he can fix any of these new messes.   ...and there are soo many it would be a dang impossible job under the best of circumstances.  

i guess what i'm saying is death to smoochy...

BananaKing

Its really dumb how people on era just think Sony is dead now that MS own CoD.

How many CoD players are on PS total. 15 million? 20? 30? Let's say 35 million, which imo is a stretch. All those move to xbox or pc. Based on PS4 sales, you still got 85~ million who dont play CoD.

PS sales arent going to drop from 120~ million to 20 or 30 just because of 1 game.

I said in the title the industry is dead because MS seems hell bent on buying it all, and they are probably the worst publisher in gaming after square enix

kitler53

Its really dumb how people on era just think Sony is dead now that MS own CoD.

How many CoD players are on PS total. 15 million? 20? 30? Let's say 35 million, which imo is a stretch. All those move to xbox or pc. Based on PS4 sales, you still got 85~ million who dont play CoD.

PS sales arent going to drop from 120~ million to 20 or 30 just because of 1 game.

I said in the title the industry is dead because MS seems hell bent on buying it all, and they are probably the worst publisher in gaming after square enix
how are you looking at this as only CoD?!?!?

The better question is how many players on playstation play:
- CoD
- Diablo
- Crash Bandicoot
- Spyro
- Tony Hawk
- Fallout
- Doom
- Elder Scrolls
- Wolfenstien
- hellblade
- Outer Worlds
- Dishonored
- The evil within
- Prey
- Overwatch
- king's quest
- deathloop
- psychonauts
- rage
- a ton more franchises too.

i'm not going to actually list out everything to get to a number but from the 3rd party games that matter (aka not indie games that sell 10k),.. playstation has now lost probably 30% of it's future game library due to MS acquisitions taking them away.   ...and MS is absolutely going to buy more studios and publishers.   mark my words,.. they've got their eyes on GTA and Red Dead and the witcher and 

so the far better question isn't how many people play CoD,.. it's how many people play TLoU and God of War?   maybe 20-30 million?   ...because unless you actually give a shame about sony first party there is going to be no reason to buy a playstation.   xbox's library of available games is going to be absolutely massive in comparison and specifically filled with franchises customers know and already love.

playstation isn't dead yet but only because it will take a few years for all these new studios to release games that are now no longer on playstation.  ...but ps6 is absolutely DoA.  by the time ps6 launches MS will have another 20 studios acquired and playstation's third party games will be non-existant.   i love sony but i'm not sure sony can carry their own hardware like nintendo can.

the-pi-guy

Really takes you back, doesn't it.

kitler53

lol, yeah.  

MS desperately needed to invest in first party back then.   I applaud a few of their acquisitions like playground games, ninja theory, and double fine.   small studios with promise they can build into bigger and better studios.  it's just bethesda and activision that has me really angry.   growth via investing into the industry is good.  growth by removing investment from the industry should be punished. 

nnodley

Really takes you back, doesn't it.
Thats just frickin sad to be honest.  lmao

Go Up