The gaming industry is dead. MS to buy Activision for 70 billion

Started by BananaKing, Jan 18, 2022, 01:41 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

nnodley

This would be the best outcome.  They can't be blind that they are leaving so much money off the table if they make everything exclusive.  And having some exclusives is not a bad thing.  But things like Call of Duty should absolutely stay on all platforms

Legend

First thought this was a messed up joke due to the $69 billion price and the issues going on at Activision.

Wow. I did not expect this at all.

I don't play their games so I'm kinda on the side lines, but is anyone happy about this? MS could spin Bethesda as if they were being saved from someone worse buying them, but nothing good can come from this that couldn't have happened on its own.

the-pi-guy

kitler53

Jan 18, 2022, 03:53 PM Last Edit: Jan 18, 2022, 03:55 PM by kitler53
oh fudge you MS...

...this better be challenged in court.   and you guys told me to settle down about Bethesda.  MS is out to own the entire industry and sony is going to be soo iced by the end of this generation.   i'm soo fudgy angry right now.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

nnodley

Jan 18, 2022, 04:07 PM Last Edit: Jan 18, 2022, 04:35 PM by nnodley
First thought this was a messed up joke due to the $69 billion price and the issues going on at Activision.

Wow. I did not expect this at all.

I don't play their games so I'm kinda on the side lines, but is anyone happy about this? MS could spin Bethesda as if they were being saved from someone worse buying them, but nothing good can come from this that couldn't have happened on its own.
I haven't really seen anyone saying this is a good thing.  A lot of people are saying this needs to be challenged. 

Bethesda i can see cause it's not like they were setting sales records and having a ton of great games come out.  So MS likely saved them from going under potentially.  But this is on a whole other level of messing with the industry.

MS is very much getting close to having too much power in dictating the direction of the industry.

I keep seeing people compare this to Disney/Fox, but fox movies that disney now owns are still able to be purchased on blu ray and prime and aren't just gated behind disney+ even though yes disney/fox made disney very powerful.  But, this has implications of them gating all the games to just their ecosystem to basically destroy their competitors.  We will have to see how it plays out if it goes through though

the-pi-guy

Jan 18, 2022, 04:24 PM Last Edit: Jan 18, 2022, 04:27 PM by the-pi-guy
There's no precedence for this. This is ~6x bigger than the next biggest acquisition ever in gaming history, and almost 7x bigger than all other Microsoft gaming acquisitions combined. It's also far and away bigger than any acquisition Microsoft has ever made.

I'm sure I'm going to end up being wrong on this, but I don't expect we'll see another acquisition like this for a good long while...

I think it's clear, Sony will have to buy EA.

EA: 37.27B
Take-Two: 18.98B
Bandai Namco: 16.35B
Embracer: 10.56B
Ubisoft: 5.35B
Konami: 6.57B
Koei Tecmo: 6.31B
Square Enix: 6.26B
Capcom: 4.75B
Sega Sammy: 3.67B

kitler53

sony won't.

mark my words,.. by the end of this gen MS will have acquired much of that list you made Pi.  i think EA and take-two are the most obvious.  sony and playstation are sooo iced.  if you want to game you'll have no choice but to deal with MS even as a PC gamer.  the corporate greed will be infused into game real quick.  if you think halo infinate's grind was bad just you wait...

i've already got a ps5 so i'm just going to ride this generation out.   this will probably be my last generation of gaming at this rate...

the-pi-guy

I don't play their games so I'm kinda on the side lines, but is anyone happy about this?
A whole lot of doom and gloom today.

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

"But I think the next consolidation will be in the game business" -- one that Sony knowns well -- he said in a virtual Q&A at the Bank Of America Merrill Lynch Media, Communications & Entertainment Conference.

I think Sony already expected this to be happening.

If we look at the music and movie industries (they're a lot older and the gaming industry is quite a bit bigger, so the comparison might not work), but in both industries there are basically 4 or 5 companies that control 80+% of the market.

As it stands in the gaming market, the top 7 gaming companies make up less than 80% of the market.

As sucky as it is, it seems likely that:

1.) We're going to be seeing that number change to 4 or 5, perhaps even this generation.

2.) It's funny to say it, but Sony is one of those 4 or 5 companies in both of those other industries.

Overall I think Sony is going to be fine.

I think chances are high that MS won't make another big acquisition like this (at least for a good long while). And I'm sure I'm going to end up being way wrong on this, especially if Facebook becomes a big player in the gaming industry.

And I think chances are high that Sony will make a big acquisition this generation that no one will expect.

the-pi-guy

Shinobi put out his wall of thoughts.

Legend

sony won't.

mark my words,.. by the end of this gen MS will have acquired much of that list you made Pi.  i think EA and take-two are the most obvious.  sony and playstation are sooo iced.  if you want to game you'll have no choice but to deal with MS even as a PC gamer.  the corporate greed will be infused into game real quick.  if you think halo infinate's grind was bad just you wait...

i've already got a ps5 so i'm just going to ride this generation out.   this will probably be my last generation of gaming at this rate...
There are hundreds of high quality publishers of smaller games. I don't doubt that their business models could be screwed up by changes from the big guys, but indie and AA devs will keep doing their thing.

But yes I'm with you that it's gonna keep getting worse. A lot of us hoped Bethesda was a one off event, but that is clearly not the case.

Sounds exactly like what they said with Bethesda.

the-pi-guy

Interesting timing...

the-pi-guy

kitler53

yeah, this acquisition does sounds like bethesda.     all that means is that the existing CoD games already on sony platforms will still be supported.  it's the next game that will be exclusive to xbox.   sure it will take a couple years for the full effect of this to take hold by buy the end of the gen sony will only have 1st party and indies to play and thus be a shame place to play..

Go Up