The gaming industry is dead. MS to buy Activision for 70 billion

Started by BananaKing, Jan 18, 2022, 01:41 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

BananaKing

Apr 28, 2022, 11:23 PM Last Edit: Apr 28, 2022, 11:24 PM by BananaKing
I am thinking about throwing in a few grand  

Why does wall street believe the deal will fail?

the-pi-guy

I am thinking about throwing in a few grand  

Why does wall street believe the deal will fail?
They think the US government might not allow the deal.  At the very least there is enough uncertainty that it won't go through.

Senators are urging the FTC to consider against it. There are some consolidation concerns, there are worker rights concerns being cited (that MS acquiring Activision will make it harder to unionize for example, which is what is currently happening.).

I've seen several people cite that there is about a 60% chance the deal goes through.

BananaKing

They think the US government might not allow the deal.  At the very least there is enough uncertainty that it won't go through.

Senators are urging the FTC to consider against it. There are some consolidation concerns, there are worker rights concerns being cited (that MS acquiring Activision will make it harder to unionize for example, which is what is currently happening.).

I've seen several people cite that there is about a 60% chance the deal goes through.

Good news for the industry if it doesn't go through.

Guess I'll have to study this a bit more.

kitler53

it's not that we believe it will fail but that it could fail due to government opposition.  pair that with ATVI's terrible last quarter and overall slump in the market ATVI will drop by (imo) 30-50% if the deal is blocked.

it's a risk and the market is reflecting that.  

plus the deal isn't supposed to close until Q4 which is a long time to wait.  opportunity cost comes in to play too.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

How much was the stock worth before the deal was announced? Even if it doesn't go through, it's not like you'd lose all your investment.

the-pi-guy

How much was the stock worth before the deal was announced? Even if it doesn't go through, it's not like you'd lose all your investment.
It was around ~$65/share.

BananaKing

I am worried about the ramifications of what doesn't happen if it doesn't go through. But of course Activision can still have a golden gen and stock might jump back up.

the-pi-guy

[Business Insider] Microsoft Still Hasn't Cleaned Up Its Toxic Culture Issues, Employees Worried About Activision Blizzard Acquisition

Quote from: Matt
I want to be super clear about this: Xbox has been widely regarded, basically since its creation, as the worst division inside MS for women.

That has not changed.

kitler53

[Business Insider] Microsoft Still Hasn't Cleaned Up Its Toxic Culture Issues, Employees Worried About Activision Blizzard Acquisition

i don't have any insider information on MS or xbox....

...but spencer comes off as such a "dudebro" to me.   if a report came out that he was raping his subordinates i wouldn't doubt it.  everything about him is swarmy and smarmy and disingenuous.  i'd highly doubt he's a proactive champion of an inclusive healthy culture in his division.  

the-pi-guy

The official opinions from Sony, Ubisoft, WB, BN, Apple, Riot, Google and more about the Activision Blizzard acquisition by Idas

SONY: They say that from a development/publication perspective, game development typically involves an early stage that is neutral in relation to the platform, before the game is adapted for one or more specific platforms.

They believe that all games compete for engagement of the player. Players choose their gaming platform based on pricing, technical features, and available game types. The available content is the main factor for the player to choose a platform.

They say that there are few barriers to entry in game development and publishing for PC. That only one developer can create an "indie" game and distribute it online, but creating a high-end AAA game (like Activision's Call of Duty) requires a budget of hundreds of millions of dollars and thousands of employees.

They say that apart from Activision there are few developers/publishers capable of producing AAA games, such as EA (FIFA), Take-Two/Rockstar (Grand Theft Auto) and Epic Games (Fortnite). These games tend to be long-running franchises with big budgets, multi-year development cycles and very supportive followers.

Despite all of that, Sony believes that none of these developers could create a franchise to rival Activision's Call of Duty, which stands out as a gaming category on its own. That's why they believe that Call of Duty is so popular that it influences users' choice of console. In fact, their network of loyal users is so ingrained that even if a competitor had the budget to develop a similar product, it would not be able to create a rival.

They talk about the time, money, number of employees, millions of followers, sales and other data points related to Call of Duty to show how it's a very unique franchise that cannot be replaced.

They agree that subscription services compete with games purchased for a one-time fee. But they think that the lowest upfront costs of subscription services could be anti competitive in relation to publishers who recoup the significant investments in games by selling them for an upfront fee. They also think that this could harm consumers by reducing the quality of the games.

They say that over the past five years, Game Pass has grown to capture approximately 60-70% of the global subscription services market (that marketshare is even greater in Brazil, where Game Pass represents approximately 70-80% of the PC subscription services market).

They believe that it would take several years for a competitor - even with substantial investments - to create a rival effective for Game Pass.

Call of Duty represents an important revenue stream for the PlayStation (they provided data but it's redacted), and it is one of SIE's biggest sources of revenue from third parties.

the-pi-guy

Hypothetically, would Sony attempt pursuing Take Two or perhaps even just Rockstar and GTA?

There aren't many third party things that hold a candle to GTA.

the-pi-guy

A few months ago, some analysts were expecting that Sony would lose software market share. 

Shawn Layden replied with a meme that said "I find it highly unlikely".

Which feels like a lot of confidence, after the Activision acquisition.

Legend

Hypothetically, would Sony attempt pursuing Take Two or perhaps even just Rockstar and GTA?

There aren't many third party things that hold a candle to GTA.
Aren't Take Two doing great though?

Not sure Sony would want their whole portfolio but in general they fit. Kerbal Space Program by Sony would be interesting.

the-pi-guy

Aren't Take Two doing great though?

Not sure Sony would want their whole portfolio but in general they fit. Kerbal Space Program by Sony would be interesting.
Take Two definitely isn't motivated to sell. They're definitely doing great.

But money can talk.

kitler53

A few months ago, some analysts were expecting that Sony would lose software market share.  

Shawn Layden replied with a meme that said "I find it highly unlikely".

Which feels like a lot of confidence, after the Activision acquisition.
Shawn isn't even with Sony anymore so i wouldn't put much weight behind his opinion. 

Go Up